No announcement yet.

New solution for bug reporting and feature requests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just about had it with trying to help here. I spent several days sifting through Bug Reports and Feature Requests, and manually transferred numerous bug reports to the project tools, then you closed it.

Then I spend hours discussing how to improve the bug reporting forum, and you decide to reopen the project tools.

Stop changing things around whenever you have some time on your hands and want to try out some new software. Decide on some new prefixes for bug reports and feature requests, then try to make the system work.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Sounds pretty good so far, steve.

Originally posted by steve View Post
      Bugreports, older that one year with no reply will be stored in the archive forum (should we delete them?).
      No, don't delete them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        I spent several days sifting through Bug Reports and Feature Requests, and manually transferred numerous bug reports to the project tools, then you closed it.

Then I spend hours discussing how to improve the bug reporting forum, and you decide to reopen the project tools.
        Wasn't it time well spent? We are trying to determine the best method here. So what, if we have to scratch an idea that we discussed. All part of the process, right?

Comment

Hi,
          • I did not decide to re- open the project tools - i only installed the latest version for test purposes!
          • I did create all thread prefixes discussed in this thread.
          • I will create the thread prefixes for the feature request forum.
          • I will "test" + "launch" all new functions/changes in the German forum, first! Then i will decide if i could port it here (voting, discuss threads before any new function will be released here)

Greetings,

steve

Comment

No. It was all time wasted. Stop faffing about and spend your time actually testing and reporting bugs to Irfan as I have done. There is no "best method." Use whatever you have and make it work. As I said when the project tools was closed, if that is not working what guarantee is there that a new method will work? It depends on people sticking with the method and making it work.

Every time you change the method, you need to reinform users and moderators how to use it.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
              I did create all thread prefixes discussed in this thread.
              OK. That is some progress.

Can you change it so that [no prefix] is not an option? All bugs reported by users should have the Reported prefix.

Comment

Hi,

feature request prefixes added.

By default it´s not possible to set a default prefix. I will look for a modification or i have to write some own code...

steve

Comment

Hi again,

default prefix is working now, i had to comment only one line:

Code:
                  <!--<option value="">$vbphrase[no_prefix_meta]</option>-->
                  steve

Comment

Thanks. All looks OK now on starting a new thread. Apparently it is still possible for users to select a prefix other than "Reported." If that is hard to fix, it doesn't matter. Users may also forward bug reports themselves, and may receive a reply from Irfan.

I have replaced my old sticky thread with this new one on Reporting Bugs and unstuck this thread as this dicussion has reached a conclusion.

Since that sticky is closed, any comments about the new bug reporting system can be added here. Let's see how if it works any better than before.
                    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 13.02.2009, 12:26 PM.

Comment

didn't have the time to read the whole thread, but I completely agree with the OP! Very good idea!

Forwarded (FQ sent to Irfan)
                      what does FQ mean in this respect ? And why would anything be forwarded to Irfan? Doesn't he read at least the bug report and feature request sections here? If not, then why post bug reports and feature requests here at all? Tthis is confusing ...
                      Last edited by boarder's paradise; 21.02.2010, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Why not use Bugzilla for bugreporting? Plenty of other software developers use it. Projects like Mozilla, GIMP, BlueGriffon and many more...

Comment

Originally posted by boarder's paradise View Post
                          what does FQ mean in this respect ? And why would anything be forwarded to Irfan? Doesn't he read at least the bug report and feature request sections here? If not, then why post bug reports and feature requests here at all? Tthis is confusing ...
                          FQ = Feature Request

If a feature request is not already implemented (people often ask for stuff that's already available), and supported by others, then it is worth forwarding for Irfan's consideration.

Irfan doesn't visit the site AFAIK, but you never know.

Bug reports often turn out not to be bugs at all — just user error. After a bug is confirmed by another user the thread title is changed to "Confirmed," then someone (anyone, it doesn't have to be a moderator, but might be the bug reporter) can forward it to Irfan. Then the thread prefix is changed to "Forwarded." When Irfan replies, the thread prefix will be changed to "pending" or "fixed" if a patch is already available, or it might be changed to "No bug" if its working as designed.

The general idea is to filter out vague bug reports and clarify feature requests, so that we don't overload Irfan with emails to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                          X