Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported New solution for bug reporting and feature requests

Hi guys,

i am very disappointed with the current project tools (development monitor) where all bugs/feature requests are stored.

In the past it was double work -> discussion on the forums + creating an entry on the project tools... I think we should find a better solution.

One suggestion could be:

We can use thread "prefixes":

-> unconfirmed

-> forwarded

-> confirmed

-> fixed

for all new bug- reports. Big advantage: User + Moderators can change the prefix. A user could submit a forwarded problem very easy by using the "forwarded" prefix even in the first post!

If you agree with that solution i would dis-able the project tools!

Greetings,

Steve

No comment from anyone yet on this idea. What does Irfan want from us? If we forward bug reports and feature requests will we get a response?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi,

everytime i wrote to Irfan i got a very good and detailed answer back!

So, i just want to know if i can turn the project tools off - instead i would prefer thread prefixes

steve

Comment

Agreed. .
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

But then what has been the response regarding all those issues posted in the Project Forum? They are mostly still unconfirmed.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If the old solution didn't work, what makes you think that the new solution will?

Bugs and Feature Requests are very soon going to disappear off of the first page and be forgotten. The project tools depends on the moderators filing confirmed bug reports. If no one does that, then nothing is going to work.

The same with Feature Requests. We should decide on some way of making sure that they get heard, if they have some support. Irfan could subscribe to the RSS feed for the Feature Requests forum, but then he will get deluged with messages. If he just subscribed to the Bugs and Feature Request projects, the number of messages would be easily to manage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              But then what has been the response regarding all those issues posted in the Project Forum? They are mostly still unconfirmed.

This is my question as well. What becomes of these issues and the ones already discussed in prior years? How do we make sure these are not being overlooked and ignored under the new system? Is forwarding of these still possible?

Comment

I think anyone can forward bug reports to Irfan via the email address on his website. I sent a couple because I thought they were important, and they both got fixed in 4.23. Personally, I don't bother Irfan with reports that seem trivial to me.

Comment

Hi,

like in the german forum, thread prefixes can only set by a moderator/admin!

I will create some sub- forums (last version and archive).

And i will go through the 11 pages (!!!) of bugreports to:

1. Give them a thread prefix (when possible)

2. Move them to the right sub forum

steve

EDIT: Latest thread prefixed (very similiar to the german forum):

a) Fixed

b) Not a bug (Then the thread should be moved to the support forum??!)

c) In progress

d) Forwarded
                  Last edited by stefan; 07.02.2009, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Unconfirmed is not the same is Not a Bug. If an alleged problem is not a bug, then it should not be left in the bug reports forum, but moved to Support or Feature Requests as appropriate.

Comment

Sorry Steve, but I do not like those names either.
                      They do not correctly represent the status of either prefixed posts at present showing IMHO.
                      "Vista dislikes IrfanView 4.23" has not been fixed. The OP has just gone off to sort out something else first. Having contributed to the thread that he was referred to, I very much doubt if he will find a solution there to an "IrfanView has stopped working" problem.
                      "One Instance Active Slow Image load" I would say is still under discussion. Unconfirmed would be an acceptable status but Not a bug is premature.

Comment

I agree, if a bug is Unconfirmed, then it should not be labeled Not a bug. And it can't be Fixed, if we don't actually have a version that fixes it yet.

Comment

Hi,

unconfirmed does not replace "Not a bug".

I just left "unconfirmed" out, because every other bug is unconfirmed as long as:

1. No other prefix can be used for this bugreport

2. There´s no response from anyone.

An "unconfirmed" thread could be a "not a bug" thread, but it doesn´t have to

steve

Comment

Hi again,

so please give me your list of prefixes we should use in the bugreports forum.

Then we can discuss single prefixes + i can add them.

Hope we find a good solution very soon

Greetings,

Stefan

Comment

1. Unconfirmed (replace [none] with unconfirmed as the only choice for non-moderators)
                              2. Confirmed (reproduced by at least one other user and agreed by a moderator)
                              3. Fowarded (bug report sent to Irfan)
                              4. Pending (reply received and acknowledged as a bug)
                              5. Fixed (fixed and available in next release)

If it is decided that it is not a bug, then the thread should be moved to Support, Feature Requests, etc., or deleted as appropriate.

Then, maybe we need some different prefixes for Feature Requests? How about:

1. Proposed (only choice for non moderators)
                              2. Seconded (supported by at least one other user and agreed by a moderator)
                              3. Forwarded (FQ sent to Irfan)
                              4. Pending (acknowledged as maybe worth adding)
                              5. Rejected (negative reply from Irfan)

Comment

Working...
                              X