Automatic read RAW images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic read RAW images

I have tons of RAW images, which contain only 8-bit pixel values of image. The size is all the same (1024 x 2048). Is there a way to set the 'default' RAW reading parameters and read all RAW image automatically, instead of input the same parameter over and over again? thanks

You shouldn't have to set it more than once, as long as all the images are the same size and all. The settings are saved in the INI file. You do have to click the darned OK every time
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I think it depends on the kind of RAW-format, there are many. I don't have any problems with mine. Maybe if you know the origin (fabric, branch) of your RAW's you could batch-rename them to an other format, like nef, raf, crw, cr2 or even dng.

Comment

On a similar theme, I download .nef images from my Nikon DSLR, but the thumbnails are only displayed as icons, and when selected they open into PhotoShop raw handler. Not very convenient when looking at a batch of fotos.

How can I get the thumbnails visible and IrfanView 4 to display the enlarged view directly?

Comment

Firstly the extension RAW must be selected in Properties\Extensions. Then you could select 'Other' in the Extensions dialog and fill in NEF yourself. Then your NEF's won't be associated to Photoshop anymore (untill you cancle the IV-NEF-association). In Properties\PlugIns you can see there's some support of NEF. Maybe you can check/uncheck the options here to try out the way the RAW plugin will do it's job. Obviously the plugin package must be installed. The plugin Formats.dll should take care of NEF (see plugins.txt in the Plugins folder).

Comment

I had selected RAW, but I have now added NEF under other and that has given me the ability to select an icon and open it fully in IV 4 -- so thanks very much for that.

It has changed the NEF icon to IV 4 icon when I open a folder of images, but only the jaypeg images are displayed as thumbnails, the nef images are just displayed as IV 4 icons.

Any ideas on that one please.

Comment

Strange matter, IV does show NEF files in your viewer, but seems not able to show a thumbnail of NEF in your browser. I downloaded a Nikon NEF file from the internet to see what it does in the standard IV-4 with the standard plugins and no properties changed. Look at the attachment how my IV-4 browser shows the horizontal image (IV turned it to a vertikal view by itself). Again, this is a standard IV browser (Dutch & English) with no changes.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Sjef; 02.08.2007, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Agree, yours has done what I want! Would it make any difference, that my folders contain mixed .nef and .jpg files?

Comment

Further discovery -- if I open the file using the IV4 icon on desktop, then the thumbnails of both .nef and .jpg are all displayed, and expands to full view, and transfer to PhotoShop as per normal.

But if I open the image folder in WXP off the desktop [as is my normal practice], then I get the partial solution I had reached before -- the thumbnails for .nef are IV4 icons, and the .jpg are standard pre-view thumbnails.

I find that even more curious! Looks as if there ought to be some setting that allows the full 'activity' when treated from WXP.

Comment

The Windows Explorer can only view some graphical formats, not RAW, PCD or even PCX and also not the NEF-format. So if you have linked NEF (or PCX for that matter) to IrfanView, you only see the IV-icon. IrfanView is not an Explorer, it's a viewer with explorer-capabilities in the thumbnails modus. So what you experienced isn't curious. I think the quickest way to work like you used to, is to rightclick on your NEF-folder in Windows Explorer and choose 'Browse with IrfanView'.

If you have doubts about the behavior of IV whithin XP's thumbs-display, you could download FastStone Viewer (nice & free) to find out this viewer acts in the same way. I hope this answer ticks the boxes for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X