Looking for a command line tool to edit .jpg's comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a command line tool to edit .jpg's comments

Last edited by tireless; 11.12.2008, 07:29 AM.

Does it have to be command line? You can do JPG comments easily in batch/individually with IrfanView using CTRL+SHIFT+M, or individually by pressing I then C.

Comment

There are four that come to mind in a flash.

Windows, Linux or Mac?

Windows: rdjpegcom/wrdjpegcom both work in Cygwin and have Win32 builds available for use via the Command Prompt. Cygwin also made a few earlier builds of ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick, both of which are fast and comprehensive, availble for download and use. The latter two, however. require a full install of Cygwin/X along with Cygwin in order to work.

Linux: Exiv2 by Andreas Huggel is very fast, very comprehensive, and the simplest commands happen to be for adding, deleting or changing the comment block in JPEG files. Plus he follows the rules, unlike some software I could name (libgd, you bahstedds!). There is a Python wraparound (in a manner of speaking) for Exiv2 called "pyexiv2" which, from the pov of someone who's familiar with Python scripts and apps (I'm not, but in this case I see their point), simplifies some of Hr Huggel's more abstruse and involved commands. Exiv2 is constantly being revised and extended and Hr Huggel is very receptive to new ideas and suggestions on how to improve his application. If you are, or happen to know, a C++ developer, the core of Exiv2 is a C++ library (which also makes it blazing fast on the command line) that is open-source and thus welcome to be included in other graphics projects. The MAN page has just been updated, as one command option was added last week to "pull out" individual tag data by their tag names. I'm pleased to say I inspired that particular change.

Mac: Both Phil Harvey's Exiftool and -Tools (the latter has just spawned a GUI for Leopard and Snow Leopard) are quite good, though slower than Hr Huggel's due mainly to the fact that the CLI executables are written in Perl -- last I checked. The speed difference in processing is noticeable.

All of the above, as it turns out (thank you Google: you came through for once!), are available for all three platforms in different command-line interfaces.

Hope this was at least a little helpful.

BZT
      There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Comment

Working...
      X