Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented [Req] Capture region

Hello
    A capture region would be nice. Preferably one that works directly with a hotkey, so you don't have to go through the capture dialog.
    - Just press the hotkey
    - The main window will disappear and the cursor will change to capture cursor
    - User drags to select a rectangle
    - The window appears with the rectangle in it
    I know there are lots of tools that do this, but i_view is the swiss knife after all...

Update 27 Jul 2009
    • I wrote a region capture plugin and Irfan added it to i_view version 4.25. It can be activated as an option from the capture dialog.
    • There's also a standalone capture utility based on the same plugin. It runs in the taskbar and starts region capturing when PrintScr is pressed. You can download it from the attachment below.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by grebulon; 26.07.2009, 04:19 PM. Reason: Feature added to i_view
    --
    www.grebulon.com

I know you said a lot of tools do this, but have you tried these? Hope you like!

Comment

Hi grebulon,

Try Captureur! (It's a very good Screen Capture Tool!)

See also:
      - "More screen capture"
      - "Screen Capture Using the Mouse"
      - "strange prob with cropping"

Comment

I'm stuck to FastStone Capture for a while now. Even point-to-point capture.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

As I wrote, I know many tools, but I'd really like better integration with i_view32. What I'm looking for it a very quick set of hotkey, region drag and paste into i_view. Why use other tools when i_view does it all?
          I'm actually writing a tiny screen capture utility based on something from codeproject that will capture directly to i_view using the /clippaste command line argument.
          --
          www.grebulon.com

Comment

Why reinvent the wheel?
            Attached Files
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by grebulon View Post
              As I wrote, I know many tools, but I'd really like better integration with i_view32. What I'm looking for it a very quick set of hotkey, region drag and paste into i_view. Why use other tools when i_view does it all?
              Because as stated, other programs are devoted to the task. They are ready to work instantly (IrfanView can't capture immediately through GUI!), they are more powerful (IrfanView will never have the helpful tools a screenshot program has), and far more versatile (it won't tie up IrfanView).

Think about it. Screenshot programs already exist, they do their job well, can still be small/portable, allow customization, and can be running all the time.

PicPick is very easy to use. Press the hotkey, drag your region with coordinates and magnified assistance, and it's copied to clipboard. Now you just have to paste when in IrfanView. Sure, there is no command line control, like IrfanView, but do you need that? Besides, you can already capture in IrfanView, and just crop the region you want anyway. So, you save almost no time in making this feature.

Comment

Originally posted by grebulon View Post
                What I'm looking for it a very quick set of hotkey, region drag and paste into i_view.
                Used MWsnap for 10+ years, often off a usb stick, never found a better one.

Comment

I wrote something very simple

I'm also using mwsnap and it's great, but I want better. So I sat down and adapted the capture tool from this codeproject article to my needs.

You can download it from my website including source code. Just put the executable and the dll in your iview directory (when i_view32.exe is) and run it. The all you need to do is press PrintScreen or double click on the task tray icon, and it will start to capture a region. The capture will be opened in i_view using the /clippaste command line argument.

update 26 jul 2009 - I updated the utility with some bugfixes.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by grebulon; 26.07.2009, 04:13 PM. Reason: added the utility and source code as attachment
                  --
                  www.grebulon.com

Comment

It's now in 4.25 !

Thanks Irfan for the add.
                    --
                    www.grebulon.com

Comment

Thanks, Grebulon! Now it's even easier to grab screen shots in IrfanView! A nice addition!
                      Last edited by Leif; 19.06.2009, 06:03 AM. Reason: Tyop! ;)
                      Get Radio? Sure! - the best Internet Radio Player ever?

Comment

Thanks for messing up my setup.

It conflcits with FastStone Capture so I removed it.
                        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
                        X