Exif Info lost after conversion NEF -> JPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exif Info lost after conversion NEF -> JPG

I want to convert some of my pictures from NEF to JPG to give them, using the Irfan Batch dialog. On the way, all the Exif information contained in the NEF pictures is lost. Is there any settings I can set (other than the well known JPG save settings) to avoid this ?

Thx, Marc

Exif Stripped (.TIF->.JPG)

I have been unable to convert TIFs to JPGs retaining the TIF's Exif data. The JPG Conversion "Keep original EXIF data" data box is checked, but the Exif is nevertheless stripped. This happens with both single file ("Save As") and batch conversions.

Running IV4.23/W2K. Any enlightenment would be much appreciated...

Comment

It seems that there are different brands of Exif data. The attached image retains its Exif data when I save it as JPG, but a NEF RAW image that I tested lost all of it.

When I saved the JPG as TIF the Exif data was stripped. If you can find a small TIF image to attach it would help.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 06.04.2009, 02:15 PM.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
        If you can find a small TIF image to attach it would help.
        I prepared a very small .tif that illustrates the problem, but unfortunately your forum software will not permit me to upload a .tif - "invalid file". Too bad; I would really like to get to the bottom of this. I need to do batch conversions retaining the Exif data, and IV is my most convenient/fastest tool for the purpose.

Any other thoughts appreciated...

Comment

Just archive it. You can upload ZIP files.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You could perhaps try using dcdraw or ufdraw, but good luck setting the params to interpret the NEF to look as good as what Irfanview does by default. Unless someone can answer my earlier question regarding what parameters the plugin for this uses (nudge nudge).

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              Just archive it. You can upload ZIP files.
              Ok, the zipped .TIF is attached.

With this file open in IV, try "Save As" a .JPG, with the save exif option checked. The resulting .JPG as written to disk contains no Exif data. Note that the new .JPG file remaining in your still open IV will show Exif data, but if you close IV, then reopen the new .JPG from disk in a fresh instance of IV, you will find no Exif.

At least I don't!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by daveg View Post
                I have been unable to convert TIFs to JPGs retaining the TIF's Exif data. The JPG Conversion "Keep original EXIF data" data box is checked, but the Exif is nevertheless stripped. This happens with both single file ("Save As") and batch conversions.

Running IV4.23/W2K. Any enlightenment would be much appreciated...
                This may be why:

Originally posted by www.wikipedia.org
                The derivation of Exif from the TIFF file structure using offset pointers in the files means that data can be spread anywhere within a file, which means that software is likely to corrupt any pointers or corresponding data that it doesn't decode/encode. For this reason most image editors damage or remove the Exif metadata to some extent upon saving.

Comment

Thanks for your reply and the Wikipedia info. Interesting.

Nevertheless, it appears possible to do the conversion and keep the exif data. For example, if you open a .TIF file in PhotoShop, then "Save As" a .JPG, the exif data is intact in the resulting .JPG.

Since IV claims (at least by implication) that it's conversion will keep the exif data if the correct option box is checked, it would be handy if it worked.

Comment

I agree it is misleading, but I don't think IrfanView can retain Exif, unless it comes from a JPG. Yet, it can read the Exif just fine from other formats. So, perhaps the coding needs updating to do this.

Have you tried XnView instead or ExifToolGUI to restore the metadata?

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                      So, perhaps the coding needs updating to do this.
                      Apparently so. Since I see others complaining about exif data being stripped when going from various formats to JPG, perhaps we should bring this to the attention of the powers that be? How to do that?

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                      Have you tried XnView instead or ExifToolGUI to restore the metadata?
                      I use ExifTool, and of course it can save/restore exif data. But the workflow is much simpler/smoother converting file type/size/whatever in one pass with a tool like IrfanView or Xnview.

BTW, thanks for the pointer to Xnview. I had not been aware of it. Very slick, and it does do conversions retaining the exif data. Nevertheless, I would really like to see that capability in IV.

Comment

Originally posted by daveg View Post
                        ...perhaps we should bring this to the attention of the powers that be? How to do that?
                        E-mail Irfan Skiljan, the author. Look for the address in the upper right corner of the homepage or press A in IrfanView.

Comment

NEF versus JPG

All repliers are talking of conversion from NEF to JPG. But I don't read anything about the quality that is to expect. NEF is a compressed file and when you look at a NEF-picture in IrfanView at 100%, you'll see the compression-artefacts. First the NEF (RAW) file must be uncompressed, whitch is Possible with the Photoshop plugin Camera Raw, Lightroom, Capture NX, ACDSeePro2, etc. IrfanView doesn't do anything with this artefacts. After conversion to JPG you'll get what you saw on screen in the viewer. That's the reason I only view my NEF files with IrfanView and don't convert or edit them with IrfanView.

On the other hand, shooting RAW is rather demanding about the time you have to spend converting/editing afterwards. Also the color profile is very important. In many cameras you can set Adobe RGB and sRGB. Any viewer can handle sRGB, but not any viewer can cope with Adobe RGB. So to keep things universal, you'll have to put the sRGB colorspace into your converted NEF-picture, before you save this to JPG. IrfanView recognizes a different colorspace (different from sRGB) when the 'Use embedded color profiles for JPG/TIF (plugin)' is set in Settings»Viewing. With one disadvantage: it's slow.

I often take a hundred fotos in one session and it's a crime to edit them all in Photoshop or ACDsee. The only difference I experience between JPG and NEF (after editing) is a very small halo-effect around dark edges in front of light backgrounds. That is, exclusively and only to perceive
                          in the 100% modus. So for edit time sake I only shoot a NEF foto when I want to print it at very large proportion, which almost never is the case.

See also the photo in the attachment.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Sjef; 14.04.2009, 04:51 PM. Reason: Photo (attachment)

Comment

No, all repliers are not talking about NEF->JPG conversion. In fact, I originated this thread unter the title "Exif Stripped (.TIF->.JPG)". Meanwhile, FlyingMG started a different thread under the current title "Exif Info lost after conversion NEF -> JPG". Somehow the two threads became one. Perhaps a moderator, seeing the similarity, amalgamated them.

Be that as it may, I'm really not very interested in re-fighting the wars about shooting RAW vs. JPG. My point is very simple. In IV, if you convert from anything(?) to JPG, you are given an option to retain the EXIF data. That option does not work, at least on my system, and apparently on other's.

Comment

Hi daveg,
                              If you still hold on to 'convert' RAW to JPG you have a point. IrfanView doesn't retain the EXIF data. Maybe because there's too much loss of really important data anyway. Maybe mister Skiljan didn't find it realistic to maintain the EXIF data, seen from this point of view.
                              Another way to handle your RAW files is to import them in RAW Therapee. A free program that converts this format to JPG the way it should. Download from http://www.rawtherapee.com/?mitem=3

Comment

Working...
                              X