No announcement yet.

Icon Plugin question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP with a Vista Theme ???? ... Vista doesn't like Icons.
    Do you get Icons or Thumbnails on your Desktop ???

Comment

I have no vista theme its a theme well made have a look if you like here,http://apb2.deviantart.com/ That is only a theme for the windows the other stuff is all default xp. And it worked before only when i used the openwithclear tool it reset something when irfanview was set using those custom icons and now it will not do that anymore. I reinstalled , cleaned registry, rebooted several times, etc. And i just cannot see why.

Comment

Did you have to openwithclear for each file type ??
        Maybe you should go back and choose new Open With (Irfanview maybe) for these file types ???
        I like that Deviant art theme .. which one is it ??

Comment

This is the one i use : http://apb2.deviantart.com/art/AB1-VS-30776155

And i didn't delete all, i try to explain: When you right click you can select open with ... and in there is a list of programs who contains sometimes wrong ones. So i used that openwithclear to clean those for me. Then all is out except for the default program to open that extension. So all stays same except irfanview will not show those custom icons anymore.

Comment

Don't think I can help figure this out .. Sorry
            I rarely use "Open With" .. So I don't care about cleaning it.
            I customize my R Click context menus for each file type with my alternate choices at the top.

This saves me from having to take the "Open With" multiple choice test each time.
            Attached Files

Comment

The openwithclear program may have caused a disruption, but probably not. The list is supposed to be independent of your registered programs.

Many times the icons do not update after a change because they appear to be cached in Windows. I am surprised that rebooting did not resolve this, but it can be quite difficult to reset the icons. You can try to verify what the icons really are by choosing Open (O) in IrfanView, and looking in the dialog at the icons, which should be correct. You can also look in the registry:

My Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\IrfanView.JPG\DefaultIc on

to see what icon is supposed to be utilized.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image047.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	79651

If all looks correct, then the icons simply must be updated. Tweak UI for Windows XP has a function that will rebuild your icons. I should warn you that this will wreak havoc on the arrangement of your desktop items!

If you did not see the correct icons in Open or the registry, then I would try un-associating the file types in IrfanView and re-associating them. Afterwards, update if necessary.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the information skippybox but i cannot get IView to load the icons from the plugin again. I tried all like reinstall with cleaning of registry and reboot, the tool you showed i used the same thing but then from tuneup utility who has a same build in. I will try tweak ui also but till now i associated jpeg with irfanview and the registry key you pointed stays i_view32.exe,7 somehow irfanview will not go to the plugin for icons anymore. Does it save info about that on a other place? I can clean out the associations and set iView not associated with any extension and point to plugin of in settings, then i see the key is gone in the registry for the iView associations. Later when i set it all again open with iView the registry key(s) are made but not pointing to the plugin, i am a bit dazzled about it. I can try to change the registry myself and bookmark those in case it not works

Comment

This certainly is an odd condition. Well, Tweak UI will not work if the icon location is not correctly being recorded or changed. I noticed that your profile says you are using IV4.23, but your screenshots show an IrfanView much older? I can't see how this could be a problem, but I was wondering.

Are you able to change the panda to another icon, like the smiley face? The icon.dll actually is not even needed as far as I can tell. Choosing the setting should take in the registry and will only lead to a unknown icon shown. So, for some reason IrfanView is not changing your key or it is being prevented from doing so. Perhaps this is a system problem, but I don't know where to look. Other than this, is everything normal? Are you able to successfully change the icon for an unassociated file type in Folder Options?

Comment

Yes all else is working fine but the thing you speak of with selecting one of the other defaults in Iview then i get a other from one of those but mostly not the one i selected. And yes i am using the latest version 4.23 , what do you see that you think different?
                    I also noticed when you select the option to open a folder with Iview in its settings without having files associated with it, when you click twice on C: folder in explorer it will open the thumbnails from Iview. Like thumbnails becomes the default open with instead of explorer. I wished i never did reset cause now i have to use Iview with those ugly icons or associate nothing to open with it. And yes you are correct i think that my system made a write protect somewhere but were is it

Comment

Originally posted by Hænk View Post
                      And yes i am using the latest version 4.23 , what do you see that you think different?.
                      Your interface is not that of 4.23. The last time the interface looked like yours was version 3.98. You'd better check (Help>About IrfanView... [hotkey A]).

Here's what yours looks like versus my 4.23:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image055.png
Views:	1
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	79661

Yes all else is working fine but the thing you speak of with selecting one of the other defaults in Iview then i get a other from one of those but mostly not the one i selected.
                      I also noticed when you select the option to open a folder with Iview in its settings without having files associated with it, when you click twice on C: folder in explorer it will open the thumbnails from Iview. Like thumbnails becomes the default open with instead of explorer.
                      It is almost like you've got some hacked "re-wired" version. Where did you get it from? Why don't you try downloading it again from someplace else. Better yet, get the ZIP version and just unzip it to use (no install).

Comment

Well i finally found why i couldn't load the custom icons.dll.
                        This dutch language is the cause of the problem as it changes the way of how the icons works.
                        So the moment you wanna start using a other icon.dll then it needs to be on default english language first.
                        The dutch language screws with the way it has to work , and then you will not be able to use the custom icon sets.
                        So install irfanview and leave it on default english to make it work and when you see the right icons then switch to dutch.
                        And there is no need to set the option "use different icons" it will load the custom icon set cause there is nothing else.

This thing caused me a headache several times when i updated and many hours trying :s

Also another i noticed when you select the option for opening folders with thumbnails, when you click on a disk icon in explorer it will open with thumbnail viewer then.
                        Last edited by Hænk; 04.10.2009, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Quite interesting. I'm glad it all got figured out. But why does using your language change the GUI? And to the point that the options are mismatched?

I tried your language, but I don't get the thumbnail problem. Have you searched in the registry for some improper key pointing to thumbnails?

Comment

So you do not get this change when you drop in the netherlands.dll translation and use it?
                            Weird , well then i have a other thing to look at and find out
                            Last edited by Hænk; 14.04.2009, 02:55 PM.

Comment

When you right-click the drive, is "Open" boldface or "Browse with IrfanView"? The boldface entry is the default one and is at the top of the list.

However, like I said, the "Open" command may somehow be represented by the "Browse with IrfanView" command, even if it is the default. So, the registry may reveal more, except that is a mess to look through.

Comment

I get this and its not so bad but if i click twice on one of these :C :E it will open the thumbnail viewer and that is not wishfull. All the other folders like "program files" or "my documents" do not have this default action when clicked twice. You do not have this when set browse with IV thumbnail on?

Comment

Working...
                                X