Deselection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deselection?

If someone uses Select all (CTRL+A) on an image, how do you deselect?

Usually, you can click outside of a selection to deselect, but there is nowhere to do that when you've selected everything. So, how might it be done?

Just click inside the selection to zoom to selected.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

OK, but I don't want to zoom to the selection. I want to preserve my current zoom ratio, so I can continue working.

Comment

Picky!

Try Control Y — crop to selection, or drag the bottom of the selection up, then click.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Maybe a small thing, but don't you think there should be a quick way to undo? Now, I know you're going to call me picky again, but Crop will actually crop the image if not 1:1. The other solution works, but takes two steps. It does work though! Thanks for pondering, those are good ideas anyhow.

Comment

I usually use + then - on the number pad to get rid of a full-image selection. That returns the zoom to what it was before but it will of course scroll to the centre.
            The only way I know of doing it without changing anything is to use Cut Area Outside Selection from the Edit menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
              I usually use + then - on the number pad to get rid of a full-image selection. That returns the zoom to what it was before but it will of course scroll to the centre.
              Yes, that works well enough. Not perfect, but seems to be the best compromise, other than moving an arrow and clicking. There must not really be an actual way to deselect from select all, without some consequence!

The only way I know of doing it without changing anything is to use Cut Area Outside Selection from the Edit menu.
              No shortcut unfortunately, so it would be a little slow.

Actually though, it does change the image. It really is no different than its complementary function, crop. If the image is not 1:1, then the rounding error will get you, and a border will be created. Try it with, for example, a 501x501 image at 49% zoom (245x245). The actual zoom would have been (245.49x245.49), so when you select all, the 0.49 is not selected. Ultimately, that pixel changes to the background color you chose for cut, and is revealed when you zoom back to 1:1.

Good ideas, nonetheless. Thanks, Mij.

Comment

That's true Skippybox. You can of course always use Undo to restore the original image after a Crop or Cut and get your lost pixels back. Undo does not restore the Selection box.

It occurs to me though that these methods of "losing" the selection box by zooming or undoing are just what we have been requesting should not happen.
                So I ought to withdraw my suggestions and make you scroll over to an edge and drag the box in so that you leave an area there that you can click on.
                Last edited by Mij; 05.02.2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Undo definitely works, but sure erodes simplicity and quickness. It also uses up the precious single undo that you get.

I think you are right about not losing the selection when a zoom or undo event happens. This has always been inconvenient and unwanted. However, if zooming did not disturb the selection, the selection would still need to be recalculated to match screen pixels, so errors do not occur when transitioning to 1:1. Hopefully both are possible.

Any of the ideas presented are possible under varying circumstances, but obviously there is no time to contemplate them when put into use. Therefore, as inefficient as scrolling to and adjusting a resize arrow is, it is the most reliable.

But, do you think what I am asking for is too much? Should there not be a quick and easy way to select none, as there is to select all? I mean FastStone Image Viewer has CTRL+D and even a context menu for it. And guess what. IrfanView has CTRL+D available for use!

Comment

Yes, Ctrl+D sounds like a good idea....
                    ...but what I would really like is to get rid of that infuriating "click inside the selection box to zoom the image" feature. Before that you could click either inside or outside the box to cancel it. IMHO the zoom feature should have been Ctrl+click.

Comment

Works for me! (not literally)

Comment

OK, we now have deselect! The 'select all' hotkey (CTRL+A) is now a switch. It will clear a selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                          OK, we now have deselect! The 'select all' hotkey (CTRL+A) is now a switch. It will clear a selection.

http://www.irfanview.info/test/iview425_fix.zip
                          Not in the version I have it won't (dated 20/06/2009).
                          What Display settings are you using?

Comment

That's right Mij, it wouldn't. That link keeps getting updated with a new EXE. You have to download it again to get the new enhancements/bug fixes that were made in the last few days. Try copying the updated EXE over your old one.

Comment

Did you get it to work all right Mij? What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X