Rotation Causes Loss of Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotation Causes Loss of Detail

When I fine-rotate a text image which originally was sharp, it becomes fuzzy.

The pixels in a text image which originally had clear demarcations between the black text and white background pixels will change to black and shades of grey pixels after they are rotated. I think the same thing happens when resizing.

Is there a set-up property I need to change?

Thanks

I'm afraid loosing pixels at sharp edges is the price for fine rotations. 45 degrees, 90, etc. will do ok., but the rest..
    Imagine a straight horizontal line. It will become some 'staircase' anyhow.
    To keep some quality, sometimes it can help to do a 'Sharpen' first, before the rotation.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks, I expect anything other than 90 degree rotations to be imperfect. I would think a straight line would have the jaggies after rotation.

Closed shapes, eg circles, have special problems. Whereas before I could use a paint program to fill the circles with a color, now they won't fill because they are mostly pixels of the circle perimeter.

Maybe the rotations are manipulated this way because IrfanView is mainly for photo images, not graphic drawings. here I am doing manipulations of a graphical drawing composed of lines and text. -- But IrfanView is the only image program I have that does fine rotations.

Comment

Except the regular commercial '-shop' paint software of course.
        And except the excellent and free Paintstar by ZhenzhouWang..
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Maybe you should try OpenOffice Draw.

If you really want accurate drawing capability, use a vector program like Inkscape!

Comment

Working...
          X