Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Keep EXIF orientation

  1. #11
    Professional User Mij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,764
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skippybox View Post
    I do have a question though. I know autorotate is pretty handy, but why do you prefer to store your images unrotated Mij? What is the benefit?
    It's a good question. The reason I gave last time I discussed it was that after keeping all my 7MP (3072x2304) images for a year or so I would reduce them in size in a batch operation to 1600x1200, the size my old pictures were, to save space. I thought that it would be easier to do that if all the images were still in landscape format rather than a mixture of landscape and portrait. Two things since then, I bought a bigger hard drive and the need to save space went away, and I realized that I could batch resize mixed formats just by setting 1600x1600 and Preserve aspect ratio.

    The reason I now give is that I am comfortable with it. It is how I have always handled photos. They used to come back from the print company all turned the same way around to fit in the envelope. As I took them out to view them I turned the portrait ones upright and then turned them back again to replace them in the envelope. With slides I used Kodachrome, chiefly because they printed "View from this side" on the mounts which helped eliminate 2 of the 4 possible ways you could put them into the projector. If someone had offered to print "This way up" on them too I would probably have bought their product. Oh, to have had auto-rotate in those days.

    I am not really arguing with you, Skippybox, about having an additional option, if you really think it is needed. I do not want to encourage unnecessary options though. Every extra option makes the program harder for new users to understand, and harder for the program developer to modify without introducing bugs.

  2. #12
    Professional User Skippybox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    2,030
    Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    The reason I gave last time I discussed it was that after keeping all my 7MP (3072x2304) images for a year or so I would reduce them in size in a batch operation to 1600x1200, the size my old pictures were, to save space.
    Do you mean that you actually reduced the originals? Don't you regret it?

    The reason I now give is that I am comfortable with it. It is how I have always handled photos.
    Considering IrfanView and other programs don't auto-rotate thumbnails, isn't it more difficult?

    I am not really arguing with you, Skippybox, about having an additional option, if you really think it is needed. I do not want to encourage unnecessary options though. Every extra option makes the program harder for new users to understand, and harder for the program developer to modify without introducing bugs.
    There is a lot of wisdom to what you say. But here's the thing. "IrfanView is trying to be simple for beginners and powerful for professionals." Beginners won't even know about the options because they are hidden in a dialog, not to mention, the defaults will be satisfactory for most users. But the advanced user will know and appreciate the power that additional options bring. Surely you value more options over none? But, yes, reliability should come first.

  3. #13
    Professional User Mij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,764
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skippybox View Post
    Do you mean that you actually reduced the originals? Don't you regret it?
    Considering IrfanView and other programs don't auto-rotate thumbnails, isn't it more difficult?
    Thanks Skippybox. No I have not reduced any. The 1600x1200 images I referred to were from an old 2MP camera, but still big enough for 95% of what I ever wanted to do. In the event I decided against reducing the size of those from my newer camera and bought a bigger hard disk instead. I am still deciding whether to back up at reduced size though. It can take an age backing up images to CD/DVD.

    I have no problem with non-rotated thumbnails. The one program I use that has thumbnail auto-rotation, also has thumbnail caching and EXIF thumbnail extraction, so I am never quite sure what I am looking at. I live at ease with IrfanView.
    After years of working with slide collections where the slide could be put into its box 8 different ways, equivalent to the 8 different EXIF orientation tags, I got quite used to recognizing a picture even upside down and back to front. Locating an image is still a challenge sometimes but childs play compared to how it used to be. The real magic is to have near instant full size viewing and printing, always right way up, and slide shows too.

  4. #14
    Professional User Skippybox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    2,030
    Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    I am still deciding whether to back up at reduced size though. It can take an age backing up images to CD/DVD.
    Definitely back up your images at full quality to CD/DVD. Yes, it may take 10 minutes or so per disc, but you don't have to run it attended. There is nothing worse than losing your precious files and knowing you could have done something to prevent it. Too many things can go wrong, including a bad drive. I would make sure you do redundant backups with several methods, maybe even online backup if you are willing.

    I have depended on my backups several times when my computer has hiccuped. I once made the mistake of enabling write caching on my new hard drive, only to have it get corrupted shortly after transferring everything.

  5. #15
    IV Amateur
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13
    Version
    IrfanView 4.35
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    Clearly neither of us understand what the other is saying. That is the nightmare of autorotate. It is difficult enough to explain what actually happens in IrfanView and almost impossible to describe what you would like it to do.
    Yes, exactly! I've spent easily 12 hours in the last two days trying to sort out auto-rotate and it is a major sh*tstorm - pardon my French ;^) I've done PhD-level multivariate statistics and have never seen anything so simple explode into a such a multidimensional quagmire.

    Apart from the fact that the Help function has zero information on this, I am not completely blaming IV - yet. Past forum posts are well-intentioned but everyone seems to be talking about different stages in the process of saving, viewing, editing etc.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •