Can't load plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't load plugin

I am trying to open a Seattle Filmworks file and get a popup message that says:

"filename" - decode error
    Can't load plugin: Formats.dll

I upgraded to v4 and the latest plugins but no luck. Maybe this particular SFW disk is corrupt but I have opened these files on other disks recently.

Thanks

Welcome msmallsr.
    Could be caused by several things.
    Of course, besides Formats.dll, you also need Flash.dll and Flash4.dll.
    Maybe a matter of Flash version.
    Try to open the file with an ascii-editor like Notepad. The first three characters should be "FWS".
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Would that not be "CWS"? In my FWS files (loaded from internet) it is.

Comment

We have some confusion here? Seattle Filmworks format is SFW, not at all the same as FWS, which is flash, and CWS is a compressed Flash that IV can't handle.

I don't know what else to say. If the plugins are installed correctly and are the right (matching) version, there should be no problem. If you can still open images of the same format from another disk, after the new install, it would seem to be a case of corruption. Otherwise - check to see if the plugins are where they should be. The Formats.dll should not be in a subdirectory of the Plugins folder.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

2 matera
          I checked the header of some *.SWF files, and the string was 'FWS'.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Thanks for replies

Thanks for trying. The Formats.dll file is in the right place. I think that the disk is corrupt as it was created in 1994. I was able to convert all of my other SFW disks to JPG using Irfanview. However, I threw them all out once I backed up the new images so I cannot test Irfanview v4 with another SFW disk. There is nothing critical on the disk so I will pitch it.

Comment

Ack lol - 1994 - an antique - the format has probably changed since then, or else the CD got tired.

Sam old dear, I was referring to the SFW extension. Flash is SWF by extension, but it's the other way in the header, and I should have been clearer about that especially when speaking of the compressed Flash, the CWS is in the header but the extension is still SWF (as opposed to SFW)...my bad, our bad....
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                Would that not be "CWS"? In my FWS files (loaded from internet) it is.
                This was wrongly written. I did mean SWF files. And I thought this were Flash files.
                Originally posted by matera View Post
                Seattle Filmworks format is SFW, not at all the same as FWS, which is flash, and CWS is a compressed Flash that IV can't handle.
                Now you're talking about FWS as being Flash files. I didn't know FWS files exists. I searched on Google, but couldn's find any. Also I was assuming the SWF format was compressed. Now I'm confused about it all...
                In the attachment you see a SWF file (compressed, according to my opinion) which is supported by IV.
                Attached Files

Comment

I made a series of web-compositions with SWF-files embedded in a HTML page, containing sound and vision.
                  I picked one out, so it can be tested with IV : Closeair
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Indeed, there's FWS in the header of your SWF file. Here's a SWF file that keeps FWS in the header too (not compressed?). I made just the Show controls (in ProShowProducer, but this file can also be loaded in IrfanView. I must be like matera wrote. So CWS in the header of 'ant.swf' (my previous attachment) suggest it's a compressed SWF file.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Solly, but I couldn't run this file with IV. It just stays a small empty white screen sized about 200x108.
                      JetAudio refused the file too, as even did Flash 5, with the message "no, protected file".
                      And I noticed in the header after FWS a lot of added strings containing the word 'preloader'.
                      I think you're right about CWS being a compressed version.

And I have my doubts about my local representation of 'ant.swf'. It just shows (cropped) :
                      nothing else happens..
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I did assume you've had installed the latest Flash version (9). Then IV will show the little insects, coming out the drain. There is some (dripping) sounds to be heard too. You can try to squeeze them all flat (like the IV-cat), but the more flattened, the more insects comes to terror you...

Comment

Yes, according to the title I expected something like that.
                          Do you mean version 9 of the Flash browser-plugin or the application itself ?
                          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Just the player at http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash

Comment

Working...
                            X