Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to compress a photo?

Hi,

I'm a new user of the Irfanview and haven't gotten to know the program very well.

I would like to compress a jpg photo of 3.4MB to about 500KB or even smaller for my newsletter. I guess I should use the "resize" function but don't know how to do it exactly. Can anybody be so kind to show me the way to do it? Thanks a lot for the help.

Best regards

Originally posted by dragongirl View Post
    Hi,

I'm a new user of the Irfanview and haven't gotten to know the program very well.

I would like to compress a jpg photo of 3.4MB to about 500KB or even smaller for my newsletter. I guess I should use the "resize" function but don't know how to do it exactly. Can anybody be so kind to show me the way to do it? Thanks a lot for the help.

Best regards

You should select "Resize/Resample Image" under the Image menu. You will see "Set new size". You can change these values depending on your aim.

Comment

Let's not confuse things.
      Resizing an image is changing the dimensions, so from 1200 x 900 to 600 x 450.
      Of course the file will get smaller too, but that's another kind of size.

If you want to make the filesize smaller, you can use the plugin "Save for web".
      You can make the bitmap smaller there, or define an amount, like 500KB, and monitor the result.
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
      X