No announcement yet.

Redefining Hotkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't tried it myself, but there are tools (not part of Irfanview) that let you record/define keystrokes and mouseclicks and assign them to Hotkeys.
    www.autohotkey.com/ is one of them. Web-search for Hotkey + Software and you will find more such applications.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

You can crop a different way.

Make your selection and press the scissors icon (Cut), then press SHIFT+E or go through the menu File>Open with external editor>(1). If you have the external editor set up in Properties/Settings>Misc. 3 to:

Code:
      C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe "/clippaste /convert="%1""
      then it will take the part you cut (now on clipboard) and save it as the original file. Careful!

Comment

Redefining hotkeys

Just a simple dialog to change already existing hotkeys.
        Because there are some functions that I use very often, and I would like to bind them to my favorite keys instead of default Ctrl+.. or Alt+..

Comment

One problem with using Autohotkeys is that you need to write instructions that limit the hotkeys to the application that you want to write the modification for. Otherwise, you will have the problem of accidentally using the hotkeys in another application and having nothing - or something unexpected - happen when AHK tries to run the script in that application. It is doable, but you have to start with that idea in mind. It is one reason that I prefer customizable hot keys. I have a couple of global hotkeys that I want to use from any application. If an application uses those keys for some function, then that function cannot be accessed by the usual hot key since AHK conflicts. Also, most programs of any complexity have more functions available than are assigned by default. Some users might want to have a hot key that does some obscure function that is not usually assigned a hot key.

Comment

Originally posted by oysta View Post
            It would be wonderful if the next version of Irfanview contained the option to disable or change hotkeys.
            ++ seconding the motion ++

Comment

I agree

I love the new set as wallpaper stretched (proportional) feature, but I would really like a keyboard shortcut for it and there isn't one. If I could set my own shortcuts, that would be even better.

Comment

Good luck with the hotkey requests

I requested the "jump random" command to be programmable over 5 years ago. Irfan, I think, said it would be part of an update where we could re-assign hotkeys. Never happened. They just keep pumping that AutoHotKey script runner. I use it, but it's got a learning curve.
                Jump Random is Ctrl+M, which is a carpal tunnel producing combination over time.
                It's more about 'why we don't want to do it' than anything else.

rain

Comment

What's this "AutoHotKey script runner" ?

Comment

What's this "AutoHotKey script runner"?
                    I don't know!

But I disagree with the idea to redefine, disable or change keyboard shortcuts, because then the programm will become unclearly! Do not forget, there are may different kinds of user - from beginner up to advance or professional users! (Sometimes it would be a good idea to add new keyboard shortcuts ... !)

Comment

This argument doesn't make any sense. Those who won't change shortcuts (including beginners) won't have ... any changes, so nothing would be "unclear" for them. Don't like it, don't use it. It's as simple as that. It's a win-win-situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Win-win_situation

Last edited by boarder's paradise; 08.06.2009, 09:49 AM.

Comment

... It's a win-win-situation.
                        That is not the same!
                        IrfanView is a tool with clear functions and no unordered tool cupboard!
                        It does not make always sense to have one hundred options for each function!

Comment

OK, show me one single disadvantage for users (except for having 1 single additional menu or option item) ??

Comment

It would make it more difficult giving advice on the support forum. How would we know what any of their shortcut keys will do.

Comment

1) It's obvious, that people who redefine shortcuts are advanced users and they would be able to look-up their shortcuts in the remapping list.

2) It's not necessary to explain anything by means of shortcuts, as everything can be done without shortcuts, ... or is this not true ?

Comment

I cannot agree with you on point 1. If you give people the ability to change something, some of them will do so even though they do not understand what they are doing. I am often scratching my head trying to guess what possible combination of options someone might have set to get the results they are describing.

Yes, as you say in point 2, you can usually describe, without using shortcuts, a course of action to take. It is just quicker to say press Ctrl+H for instance instead of describing how to get there from the menu. Whether one would always be able to describe without using other shortcut keys the way out of a mess got into by reassigning shortcut keys....who knows?

It is one of the reasons I support Matera's Feature request for a Reset button that sets all options back to default. If your request succeeds then that button had better reset all the reassigned shortcuts too.

Comment

Working...
                                X