Thread: Redefining Hotkeys

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.23
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP2
    CPU Cores

Default I agree

I love the new set as wallpaper stretched (proportional) feature, but I would really like a keyboard shortcut for it and there isn't one. If I could set my own shortcuts, that would be even better.

Default Good luck with the hotkey requests

I requested the "jump random" command to be programmable over 5 years ago. Irfan, I think, said it would be part of an update where we could re-assign hotkeys. Never happened. They just keep pumping that AutoHotKey script runner. I use it, but it's got a learning curve.
    Jump Random is Ctrl+M, which is a carpal tunnel producing combination over time.
    It's more about 'why we don't want to do it' than anything else.

rain

Multiple User boarder's paradise's Avatar
    Version
    IrfanView 4.20

What's this "AutoHotKey script runner" ?

Version
    IrfanView 4.38
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

What's this "AutoHotKey script runner"?
    I don't know!

But I disagree with the idea to redefine, disable or change keyboard shortcuts, because then the programm will become unclearly! Do not forget, there are may different kinds of user - from beginner up to advance or professional users! (Sometimes it would be a good idea to add new keyboard shortcuts ... !)

Version
    IrfanView 4.20

This argument doesn't make any sense. Those who won't change shortcuts (including beginners) won't have ... any changes, so nothing would be "unclear" for them. Don't like it, don't use it. It's as simple as that. It's a win-win-situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Win-win_situation

Last edited by boarder's paradise; 08.06.2009 at 08:49 AM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.38
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

... It's a win-win-situation.
    That is not the same!
    IrfanView is a tool with clear functions and no unordered tool cupboard!
    It does not make always sense to have one hundred options for each function!

Version
    IrfanView 4.20

OK, show me one single disadvantage for users (except for having 1 single additional menu or option item) ??

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

It would make it more difficult giving advice on the support forum. How would we know what any of their shortcut keys will do.

Version
    IrfanView 4.20

1) It's obvious, that people who redefine shortcuts are advanced users and they would be able to look-up their shortcuts in the remapping list.

2) It's not necessary to explain anything by means of shortcuts, as everything can be done without shortcuts, ... or is this not true ?

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I cannot agree with you on point 1. If you give people the ability to change something, some of them will do so even though they do not understand what they are doing. I am often scratching my head trying to guess what possible combination of options someone might have set to get the results they are describing.

Yes, as you say in point 2, you can usually describe, without using shortcuts, a course of action to take. It is just quicker to say press Ctrl+H for instance instead of describing how to get there from the menu. Whether one would always be able to describe without using other shortcut keys the way out of a mess got into by reassigning shortcut keys....who knows?

It is one of the reasons I support Matera's Feature request for a Reset button that sets all options back to default. If your request succeeds then that button had better reset all the reassigned shortcuts too.

Thread Information