No announcement yet.

Redefining Hotkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, you have some good arguments there ...

... fortunately, you've also provided an excellent way to get rid of ALL possible disadvantages! The reset button
    So I guess there really is no reason left for NOT implementing this feature...

Anyway, just my 2 cents ... I'll leave it at that, because personally I don't care, because I like the hotkeys just the way they are right now

Comment

Originally posted by boarder's paradise View Post
      2) It's not necessary to explain anything by means of shortcuts, as everything can be done without shortcuts, ... or is this not true ?
      Not completely true, even though in good practice it should be. There are certainly some hidden functions that can only be accessed by keystrokes. But, some have to be because there are times when their is no GUI. In fact, some functions can be accessed by a menu or mouse, but other times only the hotkey is available for that item or the keyboard offers enhanced control. And don't forget that some hotkeys are truly shortcuts to places that are deeper than a menu item.

Some Examples:

No other way:
      X
      SHIFT+X
      SHIFT+Q
      CTRL+W
      Numpad 5
      SHIFT+P

No GUI:
      F11
      N

Quick Bypass:

CTRL+SHIFT+R
      CTRL+ALT+P
      CTRL+SHIFT+M
      CTRL+A
      CTRL+B
      CTRL+Number

Enhanced Control:

SHIFT+Arrow
      SHIFT+T

While I would say that changing hotkeys would be complicated to code and potentially confusing in use, it would still be an enormous asset. I don't think we should design IrfanView to only suit the "support" of it. It seems negative to only imagine how difficult it would be to explain things to potential people with possible problems. I agree that any feature can and will get misused by the unexperienced, leading to issues, but several users can use this very responsibly. We should not let a few get in the way of the greater benefit. The program is meant to make image management easier, not the lives of support.

I don't see many problems arising over shortcuts anyway, as several users have voiced their opinion that they avoid or don't even use them. The Reset button would definitely handle many problems and avoid questions in the first place, such as, "Why don't the commands work now? Oh yah, because I forgot that I changed the shortcuts. Oops!"

I see the current key layout quite good and familiar for many users. Still, this program has simply grown over time and many keys are not always a good fit for this reason. I think users could certainly find better choices for the select features that they use. Only real issue I have is, how will double hotkey conflicts be avoided when reassigning keys?

Comment

A compromise

I think the program is great & I use the move & copy commands a lot, to sort out quality of photos (move) and to group together photos into a folder to send to online printing (copy). It gets a bit old after viewing & sorting 200+ photos to be pressing a number of keys (F7,1,spacebar) to move files.
        I can use autohotkeys but getting the kids working on this has proved fun and it does require a bit of setup.

My suggestion is to allow a few more toolbar buttons to be added, there seems to be space. These could be used to execute a series of function keys/key strokes or even external commands. By allowing the user to define a mini macro, give this a nice usefull name name & an icon and allow these mini macros to be run via Mouse or shortcuts like Ctrl-F1 through Ctrl-f10

What do you think?

Comment

I would love to see more use of the toolbar or additional toolbars. Unfortunately, Irfan has been extremely resistant to modifying the toolbar, as no new buttons have been added. Some have said this is because the skins would need to be reworked.

While creating a macro would be very powerful and useful, I think it would add too much complexity to the code. There is also a level of danger involved with inattentive operation, necessary error handling, and slow operation with several sequential commands (all with no way to quit).

Comment

Allow attaching keyboard shortcuts to toolbar and other commands

I went to preferences - customize but I couldn't really figure out how I can attach keyboard shortcuts to toolbar icons and other commands.

If that feature is not there at present please add and allow attaching keyboard shortcuts to toolbar and other commands

Thanks.
            --
            Rawat

Comment

Customizing the shortcut keys as in MPC

I really like how Media Player Classic give you full freedom of customizing the shortcut keys, and how it can have different keys for "window mode" and "full screen mode". They also have support for middle-clicking. For example i use middle-clicking for Escape. I think it is a very useful feature and I guess it could be easily implemented.

Comment

Hi,

this is a frequent question, but Irfan has not planned to use custom shortcut keys. Many functions have a key shortcut but not all.
                The only way is using a tool like AutoIt or AutoHotKey to simulate shortcuts. Also you can quickly accees the menus using the ALT key...

Regards
                Nils

Comment

Agree to use AutoHotkey. It's a game-changer to un-customisable programs.

Started to use it first simply to click repeatedly on the snapshot button within the program that belongs to the webcam for making a timelapse. Now, I use it for IrfanView to make (simulate) hotkeys to bring up installed filters and file info --> copy file path.
                  If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

I have used Perfect Keyboard Pro, a Windows macro program, in the past to get around keyboard customisation limitations in other programs, and to automate repetitive tasks, but it is no substitute for being able to modify the keyboard shortcuts.

I want to be able to remove some naughty shortcuts like the Desktop Wallpaper shortcuts, and I would like to disable Screen Capture completely. I never use the feature in IrfanView, because I have FastStone Capture, and the shortcuts make it harder to take screen shots if IrfanView is active.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Keyboard Shortcut for "Cut area - outside of the selection" wanted

Hi,

once again thank you for IrfanView.

The menu item "Cut area - outside of the selection" unfortunately has no keyboard shortcut which would save me a lot of mouseclicks :-)

The key Crtl+Shft+X that would be logical for me in this connection changes the background image which is an effect I really do not like. I don't know how often other users change their background images, I think this function is much more seldom used than cut area outside of the selection.
                      I would appreciate any keyboard shortcut key.

Thank you very much
                      Manuela
                      Greetings,

--Manuela

Comment

Originally posted by Manuela View Post
                        The key Crtl+Shft+X that would be logical for me in this connection changes the background image which is an effect I really do not like. I don't know how often other users change their background images, I think this function is much more seldom used than cut area outside of the selection.
                        I agree, but any change to the current defaults is sure to upset some existing users. It makes no sense to have dozens of individual requests for particular shortcuts. Everyone has their own most used, seldom used, or never used features.

The only real solution is to allow users to set their own shortcuts, which has been requested since many, many years ago.
                        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                          I agree, but any change to the current defaults is sure to upset some existing users.
                          Of course you are right, no matter what you change there will always be someone complaining.

But I can't imagine who is changing their wallpaper so frequently that the wallpaper keyboard shortcuts make sense. Somebody in this thread called them annoying, and they really are. I often unwillingly changed my wallpaper by hitting any of these keys accidently,

greetings,
                          Manuela
                          Greetings,

--Manuela

Comment

Originally posted by Manuela View Post
                            Of course you are right, no matter what you change there will always be someone complaining.

But I can't imagine who is changing their wallpaper so frequently that the wallpaper keyboard shortcuts make sense. Somebody in this thread called them annoying, and they really are. I often unwillingly changed my wallpaper by hitting any of these keys accidentally,

greetings,
                            Manuela
                            Two of us commented about the aweful wallpaper shortcuts: Posts 11 and 39, but one post 21 wants another one to set the wallpaper.

That proves my point, although you and I, and many others may want to remove them, at least one user actually likes them. The point, though, is that they have been available since early versions of IrfanView, so removing them or making them do something entirely different is not a wise change to make.

Imagine if you were accustomed to using Ctrl Shift X to set your desktop wallpaper to best fit on the screen, then after upgrading it now cuts the background behind a selection in any image you happen to have open. Wouldn't you be annoyed by that change?

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                              Imagine if you were accustomed to using Ctrl Shift X to set your desktop wallpaper to best fit on the screen, then after upgrading it now cuts the background behind a selection in any image you happen to have open. Wouldn't you be annoyed by that change?
                              No harm done unless you save the image. But changing the desktop unwillingly wallpaper is annoying because many users do not save their wallpaper settings.
                              Greetings,

--Manuela

Comment

I approve this, I really need to set my own shortcuts for different features in IrfanView

Comment

Working...
                                X