Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Redefining Hotkeys

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Manuela View Post
    The key Crtl+Shft+X that would be logical for me in this connection changes the background image which is an effect I really do not like. I don't know how often other users change their background images, I think this function is much more seldom used than cut area outside of the selection.
    I agree, but any change to the current defaults is sure to upset some existing users. It makes no sense to have dozens of individual requests for particular shortcuts. Everyone has their own most used, seldom used, or never used features.

The only real solution is to allow users to set their own shortcuts, which has been requested since many, many years ago.

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.38
    OS
    Win 7 Home Basic

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    I agree, but any change to the current defaults is sure to upset some existing users.
    Of course you are right, no matter what you change there will always be someone complaining.

But I can't imagine who is changing their wallpaper so frequently that the wallpaper keyboard shortcuts make sense. Somebody in this thread called them annoying, and they really are. I often unwillingly changed my wallpaper by hitting any of these keys accidently,

greetings,
    Manuela

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Manuela View Post
    Of course you are right, no matter what you change there will always be someone complaining.

But I can't imagine who is changing their wallpaper so frequently that the wallpaper keyboard shortcuts make sense. Somebody in this thread called them annoying, and they really are. I often unwillingly changed my wallpaper by hitting any of these keys accidentally,

greetings,
    Manuela
    Two of us commented about the aweful wallpaper shortcuts: Posts 11 and 39, but one post 21 wants another one to set the wallpaper.

That proves my point, although you and I, and many others may want to remove them, at least one user actually likes them. The point, though, is that they have been available since early versions of IrfanView, so removing them or making them do something entirely different is not a wise change to make.

Imagine if you were accustomed to using Ctrl Shift X to set your desktop wallpaper to best fit on the screen, then after upgrading it now cuts the background behind a selection in any image you happen to have open. Wouldn't you be annoyed by that change?

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.38
    OS
    Win 7 Home Basic

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    Imagine if you were accustomed to using Ctrl Shift X to set your desktop wallpaper to best fit on the screen, then after upgrading it now cuts the background behind a selection in any image you happen to have open. Wouldn't you be annoyed by that change?
    No harm done unless you save the image. But changing the desktop unwillingly wallpaper is annoying because many users do not save their wallpaper settings.
    Greetings,

--Manuela

IV Beginner
    Version
    IrfanView 4.50
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I approve this, I really need to set my own shortcuts for different features in IrfanView

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

I reminded Irfan Skiljan of this long-standing feature request. This was his response:

Hotkeys: there is will someday an option to change/add hotkeys.
    Reading between the lines, “someday” indicates that it's not a top priority. IrfanView 4.42 was released 10th March 2016. The next release might be expected later this year if the past release history is anything to go by.

I would be pleasantly surprised to see this feature in the next release, and not disappointed if it failed to appear in the one after that. Irfan Skiljan's ToDo list is very long.

IV Amateur
    Version
    IrfanView 4.33
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Home Premium SP1

I want a hotkey (program-defined, not necessarily user-defined) for "keywords" field in Image->Information->IPTC Info. This is effectively the tagging feature of irfanview and being 3-4 mouse clicks deep is bad. The closest shortcut now is hit ctrl+I and then click to next tab. A keyboard shortcut for going directly to "keywords (IPTC)" plz.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by rkghadai View Post
    I want a hotkey (program-defined, not necessarily user-defined) for "keywords" field in Image->Information->IPTC Info. This is effectively the tagging feature of irfanview and being 3-4 mouse clicks deep is bad. The closest shortcut now is hit ctrl+I and then click to next tab. A keyboard shortcut for going directly to "keywords (IPTC)" plz.
    It can done already with the keyboard. A shortcut just for this function is never likely to happen.

Ctrl I, Shift Tab, Right cursor, Tab.

OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

The IPTC information box can also be set to "Remember last used dialog tab".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IPTC Options.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	4374  
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.06.2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added screen shot

IV Amateur
    Version
    IrfanView 4.33
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Home Premium SP1

Quote Originally Posted by Jacal View Post
    The IPTC information box can also be set to "Remember last used dialog tab".
    thanks..that will help. So ctrl+I can directly open "keywords" tab (if that was used last), with hopefully cursor active in the textbox.

Thread Information