No announcement yet.

Redefining Hotkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reminded Irfan Skiljan of this long-standing feature request. This was his response:

Hotkeys: there is will someday an option to change/add hotkeys.
    Reading between the lines, “someday” indicates that it's not a top priority. IrfanView 4.42 was released 10th March 2016. The next release might be expected later this year if the past release history is anything to go by.

I would be pleasantly surprised to see this feature in the next release, and not disappointed if it failed to appear in the one after that. Irfan Skiljan's ToDo list is very long.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I want a hotkey (program-defined, not necessarily user-defined) for "keywords" field in Image->Information->IPTC Info. This is effectively the tagging feature of irfanview and being 3-4 mouse clicks deep is bad. The closest shortcut now is hit ctrl+I and then click to next tab. A keyboard shortcut for going directly to "keywords (IPTC)" plz.

Comment

Originally posted by rkghadai View Post
        I want a hotkey (program-defined, not necessarily user-defined) for "keywords" field in Image->Information->IPTC Info. This is effectively the tagging feature of irfanview and being 3-4 mouse clicks deep is bad. The closest shortcut now is hit ctrl+I and then click to next tab. A keyboard shortcut for going directly to "keywords (IPTC)" plz.
        It can done already with the keyboard. A shortcut just for this function is never likely to happen.

Ctrl I, Shift Tab, Right cursor, Tab.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The IPTC information box can also be set to "Remember last used dialog tab".
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.06.2016, 11:59 AM. Reason: Added screen shot
          IrfanView 4.62 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Jacal View Post
            The IPTC information box can also be set to "Remember last used dialog tab".
            thanks..that will help. So ctrl+I can directly open "keywords" tab (if that was used last), with hopefully cursor active in the textbox.

Comment

Originally posted by rkghadai View Post
              thanks..that will help. So ctrl+I can directly open "keywords" tab (if that was used last), with hopefully cursor active in the textbox.
              Right. That is exactly what happens if you save the IPTC info for one file with that Option set, and then open another file for editing.

Comment

Keyboard shortcut for Create Panorama image

Ctrl + Shift + N maybe?
                Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
                Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
                IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Paultx View Post
                  Ctrl + Shift + N maybe?
                  Already in use for Invert image in the IrfanView window, but could in theory be used in the Thumbnail view.

I am not in favour of changing any shortcut keys for the reasons stated earlier.

Irfan Skiljan has known about this Feature Request for a long time, but see his response quoted in post 46.

Comment

Ctrl + Shift + N maybe?
                    Why do you want it? You can open the panorama dialog using the Accessibility key for the Image menu (Alt+I), then P
                    Probably quicker than finding Ctrl and Shift and N to press all at the same time.

Entering everything into the dialog after you have opened it is what takes the time anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                      Entering everything into the dialog after you have opened it is what takes the time anyway.
                      If you open the Panorama dialogue from the thumbnail view with the selected pictures you don't need to find any files, they are already added. There is no access key in the thumbnail File menu to open the Panorama dialogue.

All programs should work with access keys, then very few shortcuts would be really necessary. Access keys only take one extra keystroke, and offer full control of every available command if assigned correctly.

When there are so many options on a menu that there are no letters left to assign without duplicates, it's an indication that the menu is too long and needs a submenu or even a new menu.

IrfanView has grown a bit bloated over the years, and needs a bit of redesigning.

There's also the issue of access keys for different languages, of course, so it's rare to find any program that does this right. Customisable menus, toolbars, and shortcuts is the ideal solution, but that takes a lot of programming effort. Automatic assignment of access keys is fairly easy, I think.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                        Already in use for Invert image in the IrfanView window, but could in theory be used in the Thumbnail view.

I am not in favour of changing any shortcut keys for the reasons stated earlier.

Irfan Skiljan has known about this Feature Request for a long time, but see his response quoted in post 46.
                        I searched for this keys combo in the Keyboard Shortcuts help file only, and it's not there. So I suggest you update it.
                        IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                          Why do you want it? You can open the panorama dialog using the Accessibility key for the Image menu (Alt+I), then P
                          Probably quicker than finding Ctrl and Shift and N to press all at the same time.

I open IrfanView most of times using the Ctrl + Shift + I combo by pressing Ctrl and Shift together with just one finger (it's easy, they're close to each other) and I with another. I do this without the need to "find" them, it's kind of automatic for me. I would do the same with a Ctrl + Shift + [?] for Create Panorama image.

You see? Let's say I need to create a panorama image right now. I hit Ctrl + Shift + I then just one more key instead of I since I keep Ctrl + Shift pressed.

As to entering images into the dialog, consider that I have already selected the images I want in a given folder. With all settings previously defined, all I have to do is drag and drop them into the dialog and click the Create image button.
                          Last edited by Paultx; 02.12.2016, 01:56 PM.
                          IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

I searched for this keys combo in the Keyboard Shortcuts help file only, and it's not there. So I suggest you update it.
                            I won't be updating anything. This is a user-to-user forum.

If you're opening the Panorama dialogue from IrfanView, not from Thumbnails, just use Alt + I, P. That is even easier to remember than Ctrl + Shift + ? and it's displayed on the menus.

Ctrl + Shift + ? shortcuts are a bit naughty, which is why many of us want to customise shortcuts so that we can disable these.

Ctrl + Shift + C, T, S, and X all set the current image as your desktop wallpaper

Ctrl + Shift + P resets it to whatever it was before.

Comment

I won't be updating anything. This is a user-to-user forum.
                              Sorry. I meant the "you" who make IrfanView.

If you're opening the Panorama dialogue from IrfanView, not from Thumbnails, just use Alt + I, P. That is even easier to remember than Ctrl + Shift + ? and it's displayed on the menus.
                              I rarely use Thumbnails. 99,99% of my use of IrfanView is on its main interface.

Well, I suppose it's a matter of personal preferences. I prefer to use two hits to get stuff done.

As I said, I can press Ctrl+Shift together with one finger only then I can hit another key using another finger. And for me those are easier to remember.

CTRL + SHIFT + A Acquire/Batch Scanning
                              CTRL + SHIFT + J Lossless JPG crop
                              CTRL + SHIFT + M Show Comment dialog for JPGs
                              CTRL + SHIFT + K Keep scroll position
                              CTRL + SHIFT + L Lossless JPG rotation - to Left
                              CTRL + SHIFT + R Lossless JPG rotation - to Right
                              CTRL + SHIFT + C Set as wallpaper - centered
                              CTRL + SHIFT + T Set as wallpaper - tiled
                              CTRL + SHIFT + S Set as wallpaper - stretched
                              CTRL + SHIFT + P Set as wallpaper - previous wallpaper
                              CTRL + SHIFT + W Stretch images over all monitors (toggle)
                              CTRL + SHIFT + X Set as wallpaper - stretched - proportional
                              CTRL + SHIFT + Y Auto crop borders
                              CTRL + SHIFT + number Browsing (window or fullscreen) mode: decrease file index by number (0-9)
                              CTRL + SHIFT + '+' Increase GIF/ANI/PNG animation speed
                              CTRL + SHIFT + '-' Decrease GIF/ANI/PNG animation speed
                              CTRL + SHIFT + arrow Fine rotation: Left/Right arrow: 0.10 deg; Up/Down arrow: 0.05 deg
                              CTRL + SHIFT + Mouse click
                              IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

Comment

Two of us commented about the aweful wallpaper shortcuts: Posts 11 and 39, but one post 21 wants another one to set the wallpaper.

That proves my point, although you and I, and many others may want to remove them, at least one user actually likes them. The point, though, is that they have been available since early versions of IrfanView, so removing them or making them do something entirely different is not a wise change to make.

Imagine if you were accustomed to using Ctrl Shift X to set your desktop wallpaper to best fit on the screen, then after upgrading it now cuts the background behind a selection in any image you happen to have open. Wouldn't you be annoyed by that change?
                                Ctrl Shift X is actually used in Fireworks to initiate the "Export Image for Web" preview dialogue, so I'm very used to hit this combination when I try to save a video... but in IrfanView it suddenly sets a new wallpaper. So it would very much appreciate it if there was a way to get rid of this hotkey.
                                (Yeah, it's not being actively developed anymore, but I've used it for almost 20 years now and I'm used to it.)

Comment

Working...
                                X