Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resizing Images With IrfanView

Sorry to bother all,
    A I am a computer illiterate, so you might have answerd the question and I just don't understand. I read a bunch of the posts, I don't understand computerese

B I am trying to re=size the kb. I belong to a different forum and they have a maximum of 195.3 kb to post a JPG picture / pictures. I figured out how to change pixel size, but My pics have to many KB's. They average around 500 to 600 or so.

C My camera is a POS kodack, but it's so durable, I can't get rid of it. I tried MS, PICASO, and a few others, One of the guys I know on the other forum told me about this program and this site, and how you could help, Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please PS I have been trying to figure out how to resize for 4 months. Tenacious, huh. Thanx in advance Welder

Well, first of all, try to become less illiterate about these things, don't be passive, but learn.
    One first has to learn about changing gears of a car too, before being able to drive properly.

Resizing is about changing the pixelsize of a picture. Changing the filesize is another thing.

If your forum has a restriction about the number of KB's, you better use the 'Save for Web' option.
    There you can set your max of filesize, with a certain compression to monitor the quality that's left.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

1. First you need to decide how big the file needs to be on the web site. That means the size in pixels. A good average is 600 x 800 for portrait (tall) photos and 1024 x 768 for landscape (wide photos).
      2. Open the picture in IrfanView and select Resize from the Image menu. In the dialogue box, set the new width to 600 if it is a portrait photo, or 1024 if it is a landscape photo. When you do this the height will change automatically because the box "Preserve aspect ratio" is checked by default.
      3. In the Resample Filter drop list on the bottom right of the dialogue box, select Lanczos filter (slowest), which gives the best quality. Make sure that the "Resample" radio button is selected, not "Resize." Click on OK to resample your picture to the new dimensions.
      4. Then you need to save your new picture without overwriting your original. From the File menu, select "Save as" and enter a new file name. In the Save Picture as … dialogue there is a drop list at the bottom that says "Save as type" — select JPG -JPG/JPEG format.
      5. At top right, another small dialogue will appear where you can set the quality of the compressed image. Move the slider to between about 75 to 90. Lower values will give a smaller file size on disk, but lower image quality. A value of 100 will give the highest quality, but the biggest file size. Reducing the quality only slightly will make the filesize on disk much smaller.
      6. The checkbox "Try to save with original JPG quality (estimation)" will reduce the file size if the original quality was lower than that on the slider. It will retain the highest possible quality so leave it on by default, but disable it if you want to compress images more to reduce file size.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JPG Save Options.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	83022
      The other check boxes may change file size too.

1. Save original EXIF data keeps the details of the Camera settings used to take the photo. You can clear this check box if this information is not important.
      2. Likewise with IPTC, XMP data, and JPG comments you can clear those checkboxes unless you need to keep this information — it will all increase the file size on disk.
      3. The checkbox "Set file size KB (RIOT Plugin)" will override any quality settings that you chose, and resample the image to the filesize you enter in the box, e.g. 195 KBytes.

The latter is the "Save for Web" option that Sam-Zen recommended. I suggest not using that option until you have learned the basics of image resizing. You need to learn how quality setting and image dimensions in pixels relate to the filesize on disk. The RIOT plugin will make the decisions for you, which may not be the ones that you want.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.12.2017, 07:56 PM. Reason: Updated for version 4.50
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Here are some sample images, resized from a big original.

The first is 1024 wide and saved at a medium high quality setting of 75. It is 77 Kbytes on disk.

The second is only 640 pixels wide, but saved at a very high quality setting of 99. It is 183 Kbytes on disk — just under your target size of 195.3 Kbytes.

The second image is bigger on disk (183 Kbytes) but smaller on the screen. It has less detail, but may loook a bit sharper. If your target filesize on disk was 100 Kbytes you could either increase the quality of image 1, or decrease the quality of image 2.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.04.2009, 07:52 AM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The third image has not been resized — it is the same dimensions as the original, but it has been saved using the RIOT plugin using the "Set file size" option to keep it below 100 Kbytes. The quality of the image is extremely low, too low to be acceptable. That is why you need to resample your image first.

The fourth image has been resized, this time to 1280 pixels wide, and saved at a medium high quality setting of 70. I did what RIOT does automatically, by adjusting the quality slider until I got the target filesize on disk that I wanted — 99 Kbytes.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.04.2009, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
            Well, first of all, try to become less illiterate about these things, don't be passive, but learn.
            One first has to learn about changing gears of a car too, before being able to drive properly.
            Being Passive is a personality trait that I am missing, Being humble, acknowledging my ignorance and seeking help / guidence is totally different. That is why I am here

Ignorant = lack of knowledge

Bhikkhu Pesala, Thank you for your guidence, I am going to follow your instructions and will report the results. Thank You for your time and efforts. Welder

Comment

Nice job, Bhikkhu, and good to make it sticky.

2 Welder : Ignorance is not exactly the same as lack of knowledge imo, but this is not the place for a filosofical debate.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Dear Bhikkhu Pesala,

I GOT IT!!! TY TY TY.... I transfered all files from Picassa and changed a few, but they all went black and white. I will read some more of these posts to see if I can find the answer. Again Thank You! Welder

Comment

Originally posted by welder View Post
                  Dear Bhikkhu Pesala,

I GOT IT!!! TY TY TY.... I transfered all files from Picassa and changed a few, but they all went black and white. I will read some more of these posts to see if I can find the answer. Again Thank You! Welder
                  I read some other posts and found out my grey scale was on, Again Thank You, Welder

Comment

Well, here you are, I wanted to warn for this, but you found out for yourself.. So you're not as ignorant as you said at the start.

By the way, you called it "..went black and white", but that's not the same as "greyscale".
                    Black and white is a bitmap of only 2 colours : every pixel only can have RGB values 0-0-0 or 255-255-255
                    Greyscale format contains 256 colours (or less, like 16), with only gradiations of grey, meaning every colour contains an equal value in the RGB setting.
                    So the greyscale range is from 0-0-0, 1-1-1, 2-2-2, etc up to 254-254-254, 255-255-255.

Every bitmap with 256 or less colours has a defined 'palette' of the used values. You can view this property via Image/Palette/Edit palette.
                    Last edited by Sam_Zen; 04.04.2009, 11:31 PM.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                      By the way, you called it "..went black and white", but that's not the same as "greyscale".
                      Black and white is a bitmap of only 2 colours : every pixel only can have RGB values 0-0-0 or 255-255-255
                      Greyscale format contains 256 colours (or less, like 16), with only gradiations of grey, meaning every colour contains an equal value in the RGB setting.
                      So the greyscale range is from 0-0-0, 1-1-1, 2-2-2, etc up to 254-254-254, 255-255-255.

Every bitmap with 256 or less colours has a defined 'palette' of the used values. You can view this property via Image/Palette/Edit palette.
                      Here is what the picture came out looking like. I also played with the filtering a bit and was able to enlarge the pictures to 195 exactly. But playing with "stuff" and knowing what you are doing are 2 different things.

I am really enjoying using a camera and definately want to learn alot more. You will be seeing me lurking in here alot, and asking a question or 2 now and again. Thank you. Oh, after I turned the grey scale off, and reloaded the pictures, and re=sized, They are now color. They were allready JPEG's. So it was my goof, Now I know what grey scale does. Again Thank You, Welder
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello good day dear friends,

this is the exactly the right thread for me as a computerilliterate[thx for this great term]

well - if i am resizing an image i can have a view on the process while opening the additional infos with Image->Information

you see information for:

- imagesize in pixel
                        - imagesize in inch
                        - size in byte

- former size in pixel
                        - actal size

see the images for more infos. BTW - Now i am investigating the resize-process via Batch-conversion. All i know this process is an automated way to resice many images in some quick steps... see for more infos http://www.lancelotgroup.com/tutoria...View-Start.asp

the Information you get while you choose the Image->Information

A big big question is - why can i run images that are once shown in a 2500 x 2500 image window
                        in a very very small image-window... that is in a new picture!? I am not sure that i have fully understanding why this is possible... If you need more information about my lack of knowldge - please ask... I hope you understand my question... See the picture and imagine my confusion when i am setting up a image - with 100 x 100 pixels - ... that formerly filled 2500 x 2500 pixels... ahhh - i am teribble confused.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by joo_driven; 04.07.2009, 01:34 PM. Reason: more infos - confusion takes over

Comment

Hi,

I read the previous messages (thanks to all, and special
                          thanks to Mr. Pesala), but I ask for your help for my needs:
                          1) input image:
                          1.1) .tif;
                          1.2) 8.39 cm width;
                          1.3) 4.39 cm Height;
                          1.4) 96 dpi;

2) output image (after Irfanview processing)
                          2.1) .tif;
                          2.2) 8.39 cm width;
                          2.3) 4.39 cm Height;
                          2.4) 405 dpi;

If there is a way to do this in Irfanview,
                          let me know, fellows!

Thanks in advance
                          Jaraqui

Note 1: this proprierties (1.* and 2.*) were obtained
                          through Paint->Proprierties command.
                          Note 2: using Irfanview, other proprierties are
                          showed. An image is attached to this
                          message (the dialogue box resultant of
                          "Information" command for input image) to
                          show what Irfanview shows me;
                          Note 3: The image, target of my post, is also
                          attached (alavanca.tif);
                          Note4: .tif images are not allowed to upload. So
                          I created a .zip file containing the two
                          images cited in this message.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Jaraqui,

In simple words, you want to print the picture with the same size (in cm), but with more pixels per cm. - This means you have to resize the picture (in terms of pixels) by a factor of 405/96. - Note: The quality of the picture will not improve in the process!

Next thing, you change the dpi in the Irfanview information dialogue: fill in your value of 405 for horizontal/vertical dpi, press the change button. The change will only be final when you then save the image.

The image will now still look 4 times as big on your screen. The dpi value only takes effect when you print the image.

jazzman

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Working...
                            X