IrfanPaint Plugin for IrfanView

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 WellOiledPC :
    I agree about the workaround with the text rectangle, but this is without IrfanPaint, I guess.
    But, and I don't know why, Irfan Paint has another collection of fonts, and I needed one of those.
    Extra small ones, I was trying to get 3 chars on a button of 24x24.

2 Bhikkhu Pesala :
    I understand the functions of the crosshair, but I think using "Hold to Preview" can be seen as trying good luck too.
    And I'm not that convinced by your picture.
    If the thin line under 'text' is supposed to be that baseline, then I see quite a margin.
    If this is a correct position, because there could be chars used like 'y' or 'g',
    then this margin will probably be fontsize dependable.

2 Mij :
    Farbhexe shows x-y coords allright, but then what ? That post was about color picking btw.

So let me rephrase my request.
    I don't mind that much about showing the coords, as long as I can get the crosshair on the right spot next time.
    Now, if a "Hold to Preview" is wrong, one has to cancel and try again until the right position is found.
    It would be nice to get this position saved, maybe by doing Shift click or such.
    So the next time the text tool is active, the crosshair starts at the same position.
    Of course this is only useful when dealing with a series of pics with the same dimensions.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Yes, the method is a simple copy-paste between two images, no involvement of IrfanPaint there.

The best I can suggest is to first write your text under IrfanPaint Text Tool and copy it into the clipboard. Now, by trial and error, get your Text's Starting Point juuust right, by using IrfanPaint's Preview Button.

You can remove a misfitting Rectangle from your image by an Undo (or Control+Z). Paste the Text created in IrfanPaint after each undo, till the text is aligned to your complete satisfaction.

This method is still based on 'goodluck' and 'eye estimate'. But then it does reduce the efforts required, while allowing you to use your choice of IrfanPaint Font!
      Last edited by WellOiledPC; 26.10.2009, 05:30 AM.
      Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
      IrfanView Website - Here
      Sam_Zen's Website - Here
      Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
        I understand the functions of the crosshair, but I think using "Hold to Preview" can be seen as trying good luck too.
        And I'm not that convinced by your picture.
        If the thin line under 'text' is supposed to be that baseline, then I see quite a margin.
        If this is a correct position, because there could be chars used like 'y' or 'g',
        then this margin will probably be fontsize dependable.
        Agreed about preview, if you clicked in the wrong place then you cannot reposition it, but at least it lets you change the point size and font before applying it.

The baseline is not font or font size dependent. The line is not the baseline.

The bottom line is that you must be precise when clicking with the cross-hair. Does it need a magnifier? I don't think it does. Just zoom in before adding text.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

2 Mij :
          Farbhexe shows x-y coords allright, but then what ? That post was about color picking btw.

So let me rephrase my request.
          I don't mind that much about showing the coords, as long as I can get the crosshair on the right spot next time.
          Now, if a "Hold to Preview" is wrong, one has to cancel and try again until the right position is found.
          It would be nice to get this position saved, maybe by doing Shift click or such.
          So the next time the text tool is active, the crosshair starts at the same position.
          Of course this is only useful when dealing with a series of pics with the same dimensions.
          I know that Frank's post was about color picking but it was the magnifier in Farbhexe that I thought was particularly useful. Even when you have zoomed the image to 100% to be able to work with single pixel accuracy, the crosshair cursor is still tiny and very difficult to see especially on a gray background like that in my attachment. I thought that your problem was that you could not see where the crosshair was and had to guess.

I have used a normal Irfanview selection box to provide a baseline and left reference. That lets you save the position in custom selection.
          I selected text in IrfanPaint and positioned the cursor using Farbhexe at the corner as shown. You can see where the text was placed relative to it.

Actually IrfanPaint always shows the crosshair one pixel above and to the left of where Farbhexe thinks the cursor is. I don't know why that is but it is easy enough to allow for once you know.

Afraid I could not capture the cursor for you to see. Ctrl+F11 which I had set up for IV capture seems to have a function in IrfanPaint, so I had to use Windows Print screen instead.
          Attached Files

Comment

Well, it's nice to see different approaches for the solution, or better said, workarounds.

2 WellOiledPC :
            I don't see how I could get the Paint text in the clipboard without getting the background as well.

2 Bhikkhu Pesala :
            After choosing the needed point size and font it would be nice to have a reposition for the next picture.

2 Mij :
            I could see where the cursor was, but it was not zoomed into single pixel level yet.
            Nice to know about the offset difference of the crosshair with Farbhexe.

By the way (Mitaly?), when zooming in on the icon of 24x24, I chose the arrow of IPaint to draw a rectangle.
            This was on pixel level, but the rectangle didn't seem to adapt to that grid.
            Of course after a copy/paste dimensions were allright, but it looks odd.
            Attached Files
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Is that rectangle made by IrfanView (or IP with the selection tool) or by IP (while drawing with the rectangle tool).
              IrfanPaint developer
              The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
              IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

True, the background color will also get copied into the clipboard. The best I can come up with is the second method, which is still based on 'eye estimate', but does save on typing in the text as well as re-opening the base image...

Slightly on an off note, Mij, Screen Capture is one thing for which I prefer using Windows and not IrfanView. The Print Screen Key is too tempting not to use! In fact, the Screen Capture in Windows 7 has plenty of Bells and Whistles (but no Mouse Cursor capture!)
                IrfanView Website - Here
                Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
                  Slightly on an off note, Mij, Screen Capture is one thing for which I prefer using Windows and not IrfanView. The Print Screen Key is too tempting not to use! In fact, the Screen Capture in Windows 7 has plenty of Bells and Whistles (but no Mouse Cursor capture!)
                  Yes, I do only use Irfanview capture when I need to include the cursor.
                  I did find out what I was doing wrong - nothing to do with the hotkey - just that if you want the image to be in the foreground window you need to click back on the main caption bar every time you select a new IP tool. Otherwise you capture the IP toolbox instead.

Comment

OT: I prefer FS capture anyway..

2 MItaly : IP with the selection tool (arrow).
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I think text objects are much easier to manipulate and work with, since they work like layers. In fact, MItaly mentioned that IP would eventually support objects, which is gladly welcome. Currently, I prefer Faststone Capture's Drawing editor which has object support, along with other useful capability.

Anyhow, working with what we have in IrfanView, alignment isn't impossible. What you need Sam_Zen is simply a straightedge, such as a ruler. I use the pixel ruler from PicPick, which I also use for screen capture. It is great because you can measure with the ruler and adjust its transparency.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image071_D.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	79979

But, if you're in a pinch you can just use any window (even another IV window) to give you a straightedge. While choosing the Always on Top option might seem good, it usually isn't, since it'll probably hide your text dialog that pops up. It really doesn't matter, since you can always minimize the window or move it out of the way with the keyboard, without losing it's position if you had to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image073_D.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	79980

Comment

The arrow is a non-tool, it just makes IV work as it does without IP; the selections made by it are the same selections you would make in "normal" IV, so they aren't pixel-aligned, and I have no direct control over them.
                        Last edited by MItaly; 29.10.2009, 08:26 PM.
                        IrfanPaint developer
                        The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
                        IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

OT: I prefer FS capture anyway..

I prefer using PowerPoint for adding Text to images. Its the easiest! However the Text Box color would still show...
                          IrfanView Website - Here
                          Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                          Author's Website - Here

Comment

2 Skippybox : using a fixed window on top as a ruler is a nice trick indeed.
                            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

If you are working at a fairly high zoom you can usually just right click and drag the image itself and use the bottom of its own window as a ruler.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                                If you are working at a fairly high zoom you can usually just right click and drag
                                the image itself and use the bottom of its own window as a ruler.
                                Works OK sometimes even at 1:1 in Do not fit anything mode, too.
                                The secondary window also is, in many cases necessary, because
                                reducing the window can eliminate the vertical plane, which is often
                                needed for alignment.

Take this example of modifying an IV menu:

Here you have to maintain horizontal alignment for the text, but also respect two verticals.
                                If you were to resize the same window, your guide text would be hidden:

Now you could probably still do it, but you wouldn't be able to clearly define the base point,
                                and definitely wouldn't see the preview.

Using two accessory windows, you are able to clearly see the preview and get good placement.
                                I would though, recommend a screen magnifier still.

An even better method, would be to use the cross-hair feature of PicPick.
                                You can define a starting cross-hair, and get a second cross-hair for match-up,
                                along with the aid of distance coordinates. Very useful!

So, all you have to do is find your placement by left-click, and go back to the
                                text tool by a right-click (or Esc). Then, actually define the point with a left-click.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Skippybox; 30.10.2009, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X