IrfanPaint Plugin for IrfanView

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IrfanPaint Plugin for IrfanView

The Old Thread was getting too long to find anything, so has been closed.

Please post any questions about the IrfanPaint Plugin in this thread. Off-topic comments may be removed.

See my signature for a link to the offical IrfanPaint plugin site.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.04.2009, 08:42 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Feature request - use Color replacer with other tools

I do not know if this is possible. It would be great if it was.
    The Color replacer is an excellent tool for what it does. I used it to change an almost white winter sky to a summer blue. I have found this sort of thing quite tricky in more advanced applications using masks when I have objects such as trees in the foreground and similar colors in both image and sky, but it was fairly easy in IrfanPaint because I could match color and tolerance settings locally to suit each area as I painted over it. I could only replace with a single shade of blue for the sky though, when what I would have liked was a real sky cloned from another image.
    I got to thinking, if the tool can select which pixels within the brush area to replace with a different color, perhaps it could replace them instead with pixels from a source such as the Clone tool brush or the Erase to Original brush?
    I can see possibilities, apart from my wish to clone a real sky onto an image. You could create a straight edge for an area of cloning by first drawing a broad colored line where it is to end, then painting over it using a Replace Color with Clone tool. You could create frame effects by drawing shapes, an oval over a different colored rectangle perhaps, then painting over the oval using Replace Color with Erase to original. What do you think?
    Attached Files

Comment

It may be interesting, but I think that it should be generalized. An interesting idea could be to make all the tools maskable in this way... I'l think about it.
      IrfanPaint developer
      The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
      IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Support ++
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hello MItaly,

What do you think about an advanced function for the color picker tool in IrfanPaint?
          What I suggest is the same as the small (but fine) program Farbhexe 2.0c!

The "Farbhexe" shows the RGB color values in decimal, Hex and as color name (the English color name, how it is recognized by the Netscape browser)! The program needs no installation! Unpack the zip file, click and finish. Starting from Win95 and it's Freeware!

Something similar exists also in PhotoFiltre!
          Attached Files

Comment

I don't know if I can find all that space in the toolbar... I'll try.
            Anyhow in this period I must first study for the high-school exam, so it may take some time before I start to work again on IrfanPaint.
            IrfanPaint developer
            The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
            IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

A standard IrfanView feature displays the cursor X,Y position and the pixel color when the left mouse button is pressed. Sadly that is not available in IrfanPaint when tools like the color picker are in use. I know why you cannot use the left mouse button, but could it perhaps be shown when a key is pressed, space bar perhaps?
              It may not be all that Frank wants but it would be a start.

Comment

I like Frank's suggestion of a more advanced color picker. One thing that does annoy me about IrfanView is that you have to click to get color/coordinate information. It would be nice if you could just hover the cursor and see an update. Much faster and more precise, since you wouldn't accidentally make selection boxes.

BTW, did you know that when using IrfanPaint, the color-picker will show a small preview of the color next to the foreground/background colors? Since this is auto-updating, it should be possible to indicate the color info, too.
                Last edited by Skippybox; 12.06.2009, 12:07 AM.

Comment

One thing that does annoy me about IrfanView is that you have to click to get color/coordinate information. It would be nice if you could just hover the cursor and see an update. Much faster and more precise, since you wouldn't accidentally make selection boxes.
                  Right on !
                  And I have my doubts about displaying this information at the title-bar in the first place.
                  It should indeed be updated with the hovering, but then placed in the status-bar.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
                    I don't know if I can find all that space in the toolbar... I'll try.
                    Anyhow in this period I must first study for the high-school exam, so it may take some time before I start to work again on IrfanPaint.
                    This is no problem! We can wait!
                    But don't forget this suggestion - write it into your "to do" list!

PS: In the attached screenhot you can see the method of PhotoFiltre!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Talking about colors.
                      In the 'Insert text' dialog, there's a button at the right to choose a color for the font.
                      Of course a third color is nice, but wouldn't it be convenient, to let this color correspond to the foreground color as default ?
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                        Of course a third color is nice, but wouldn't it be convenient, to let this color correspond to the foreground color as default ?
                        Doesn't it do that already?

EDIT: The behavior is quite interesting actually.

When you open IP, you can change the foreground color as often as you like. When you use the text tool, the default font color is the foreground color, whether you changed the foreground color or not after opening IP (any custom text color from another time is not remembered). If you chose a different text color, then it gets remembered the next time you add more text. However, you must be careful, since it could change depending on what you do in the dialog. Choosing another foreground color during use does not get remembered in the text color dialog.

When you add more text, your previous text is hightlighted, and so long as you don't enter the text color dialog, the previous custom color gets used. As soon as you enter the text dialog, the original foreground color (that was in place when you first used the text tool) is chosen so long as you didn't edit the highlighted text (otherwise the custom color is chosen). You can keep changing the text color and it will be preserved as your custom color, but the text color dialog will always remember that initial foreground color (for times when you leave the highlight alone) and never update it with any new foreground color.

When you close IP, the foreground color is remembered the next time it is open, but the custom text color is not. Like initially said, the text color will revert to the current foreground color at the time the text tool is first used.
                        Last edited by Skippybox; 29.10.2009, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Nope.

Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

I think that it will default to the foreground color if you have set it in that session but does not remember what you might previously have set as foreground.

Comment

Yep, you're right. If I first set the foreground again, then it's in the text dialog too.
                              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                              X