Convert .jpg to djvu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert .jpg to djvu

It’s easy to convert djvu to jpg files by using IrfanView.
    But is there any way to convert .jpg to djvu ?
    That would be very useful especially if somebody has lots of .jpg files and limited hard drive space

The only way I know for this conversion (jpg to djv) is by using “DjVu Solo”. But this is not… IrfanView

Why would it useful? DjVu files won't save any disk space at all — they will merely double the space used, as you would still need to use the JPG files as individual images.

Archiving your JPG files using 7-Zip will save some space if you have a lot of duplicates, but otherwise there is nothing to be gained from putting lots of JPG images in one file, and lots to lose (putting all of your eggs in one basket).
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I don’t think you right. DjVu files use less disk space than JPG files. According to DjVu developers: “DjVu typically achieves compression ratios about 5 to 10 times better than existing methods such as JPEG and GIF for color documents, and 3 to 8 times than TIFF for black and white documents”
      For more take a look here, here and here.

Something more practical: my experience
      I have a large folder with 400 images of last Decembers’s Greek riot (I leave in Greece).
      - All 400 images in jpg format use 384 MB of disk space (371 MB compressed with 7zip)
      - Same images and same resolution in djvu format use 97,5 MB of disk space! (almost same disk space compressed with 7zip)

So its very useful for me to convert jpg files to djvu by using IrfanView because I want to upload all this images on the web

Comment

If you want to save space for images on the web, just use a lower quality setting when compressing them. For files on disk you need to keep the highest quality JPG image straight from your camera. Typically, an image saved at 100 quality will be four times the size of an image saved at 75 quality. Barely any difference in visible quality, but a huge saving in disk space.

If you must have images of text then use PNG, JPG is not suitable for text.

DjVu has been around for 13 years now. Why do you think everyone is not using it for web images yet? I've tried wavelet compression. The images decompress so much slower it just isn't worth the wait. With 192 Gbytes of free hard drive space, I really don't need to worry about saving disk space, but time — there is never enough of that to go round.

As I said, if you do use DjVu, which is lossy, you still need to keep the original camera images, so you're not saving anything at all. You're just saving a copy in another format, which is using even more disk space, and then you need backup storage for them, of course, to save converting them all again.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X