V4.25/V4.23/... : Exif Data Lost Converting to JPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no bug V4.25/V4.23/... : Exif Data Lost Converting to JPG

When converting from TIF to JPG (either singly or batch) the EXIF data is stripped from the converted file even though the JPG conversion option "Keep original EXIF data" is checked. Unpack and open the attached file in IV, then "Save As" somename.jpg, trying to keep the EXIF data!

Note that the converted file which remains in the still open IV will show EXIF data, but once IV is closed and the file reopened with IV, or any utility which displays EXIF, there is none to be found.

See the thread at http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/showthread.php?t=3718 which has reports of the same problem when converting some other source file formats.

Running W2K SP4, P4 3.2, 2GB. Irfan View 4.23.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by daveg; 15.04.2009, 04:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach file. Now attached.

Exif Data Lost Converting to JPG from RAW(CR2)

I'm too.

When converting from RAW(CR2) to JPG (either singly or batch) the EXIF data is stripped from the converted file even though the JPG conversion option "Keep original EXIF data" is checked.

Running WindowsXP Pro SP3, Core2 E8500, 3GB. Irfan View 4.23.

Comment

I'm too

I'm too.
      When converting from Nikon-RAW(NEF) to JPG (either singly or batch) the EXIF data is stripped from the converted file even though the JPG conversion option "Keep original EXIF data" is checked.

Running Windows Vista x64 SP1, Irfan View 4.25.

Comment

Part of the answer...

I have just posted a thread because IView does not handle EXIF information from .TIFF files.

I guess that's the cause of the problem you are facing. Although IView will save the EXIF information with the .JPG file, it just can't read this info.

Now it remains to find out why it can't read EXIF data from a .TIFF file.

Comment

lost exif data

Hhmm, ... there exists a lot of answers in the forum!!
          Please consider:
          Your pictures will remember the exif data if you convert from JPG into JPG format!
          But your pictures will lose the exif data if you convert from or into other formats!
          It's an jpg option to remember the exif data!

That's why it's not a bug - but a well known program restriction!

Comment

Hy Frank,
            could you or anybody else recommend another tool for converting TIF files to JPG in batch mode whilst preserving all EXIF data?

Did anybody try "JPG/JPEG Photo Converter"?

Comment

Please see: "EXIF und IPTC Metadaten"

Comment

Working...
              X