Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How to change the background of this photograph?

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by joo_driven View Post
    hello Mij [*]- cannot see where i can select Composite over selected background color >OK, and that[*]- i cannot Press Matte button, since it is somewhat deactivated...
    hello again joo
    I am losing track of what you can and cannot do.
    I assume that in my item 1 you can now see GML matting in the list of filters, can select it and press Start selected filter. Is it at this point that you could not see a dialog box with the option Composite over selected background color ?
    If so is that still the case?

try to do so! but it is surprising that i have to fill the image full - that means that the outlining has to bee 100 %
    Yes the highlighter outline does have to be 100% or the fill color will leak out into the area outside. That applies even to the bottom of the cut-out area which is on the edge of the frame. Just position the highlight brush right at the bottom on one side of your cut-out and left click then position at the bottom on the other side, hold down Shift and left click again. That will draw a straight line across the bottom of the cut-out and stop the fill from leaking out there.
    I do not have a very steady hand so draw nearly all my outlines in small straight line segments by holding down the Shift key and clicking around the outline. I then just finish with a single straight line across the bottom. You soon get the idea of where you need to click.

hi all

many thanks for replying

i came one step further

try to finish today!

i will post agian

Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    hello again joo

Yes the highlighter outline does have to be 100% or the fill color will leak out into the area outside. That applies even to the bottom of the cut-out area which is on the edge of the frame. Just position the highlight brush right at the bottom on one side of your cut-out and left click then position at the bottom on the other side, hold down Shift and left click again. That will draw a straight line across the bottom of the cut-out and stop the fill from leaking out there.
    I do not have a very steady hand so draw nearly all my outlines in small straight line segments by holding down the Shift key and clicking around the outline. I then just finish with a single straight line across the bottom. You soon get the idea of where you need to click.

many many thanks - i will report

see you later today
    many thanks so far

joo

hi there

when done all the work with filling out and creating a "layer" - what has to be done next. Well how to get the next layer!?

Try to finish today the first reworked image

i will post agian Meanwhile - many many thanks - i will report

see you later today

joo

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Linux Distribution
    CPU Cores

There is no layer -- the plugin is written for programs that use layers, but IrfanView does not. Just ignore its talking about layers. When you have the masking outline and fill done, click "Mask". Then "Okay". Then, in the next dialog, choose "Composite over selected background color" and click "Okay". That's it, it's done.

Mij -- you don't have to close the bottom, as long as the outline is all the way down on both sides. I'm lazy
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

hi there

good evening

Quote Originally Posted by matera View Post
    There is no layer -- the plugin is written for programs that use layers, but IrfanView does not. Just ignore its talking about layers. When you have the masking outline and fill done, click "Mask". Then "Okay". Then, in the next dialog, choose "Composite over selected background color" and click "Okay". That's it, it's done.

Mij -- you don't have to close the bottom, as long as the outline is all the way down on both sides. I'm lazy
    here we have the results

cheers
    joo

btw: looks good so far - but what if i want to put a background behind that image... btw how is that other image, called the "demo image" being done... can i do such a image too!? Love to hear from you!!!!!!

BTW: in this regard - what is gradient here!? What does the term gradient mean here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enlargement_of_me_final_matte_results_17_june_1uhr.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	1505   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the_demo_image.png 
Views:	217 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1506  

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Joo
    You only seem to have got to step 6 of my walk through. The remaining steps 7-11 are about adding a background image.

Your "demo" picture looks as though it has a background where the color (or brightness) changes slowly across the picture. That is called a "gradient" fill.

IrfanView does not do gradient fills (although there may be another effects filter that would). If you want to do that as well though I think that you should take that much earlier advice from Bhikkhu Pesala to use a graphics program like Page Plus.

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Linux Distribution
    CPU Cores

David Blend - filters - Gradient Sky and a few others. Sorry, no link handy.

PaintStar

The GIMP

Avance Paint
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Thanks Matera. I will have a look at that one when I get a spare moment..

It is quite surprising how much you can do in Irfanview using plugins, workarounds, batch files and other dodges but there does come a point when I have to admit that it is not really the right program for the job (especially when Bhikkhu said so several pages back).

In fact I know there is a gradient tool in Harry's filters that comes bundled with the plugins download. You can get an effect like the attachment by just playing with it, but I am not sure I want to go there in this thread.

Name:	joo_gradient.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	1513  

Smile

hi Mij

many many thanks for the great work! it looks impressive.

Thanks Matera. I will have a look at that one when I get a spare moment..

It is quite surprising how much you can do in Irfanview using plugins, workarounds, batch files and other dodges but there does come a point when I have to admit that it is not really the right program for the job (especially when Bhikkhu said so several pages back).

In fact I know there is a gradient tool in Harry's filters that comes bundled with the plugins download. You can get an effect like the attachment by just playing with it, but I am not sure I want to go there in this thread.
    i will play with Harrys tool

i do a background first - and then afterwards i will implement the image that i have created with bf8 filters....

BTW; how did i miss your steps 7-xy - i will have a closer look.

many thanks
    regards
    joo

hi there hello Mij

many many thanks for the relpy. Btw - i see that i did not walk through to all the steps ... Can i get into the steps again!? Even if i allready have stepped out and stopped with the work... at the step 6

Joo You only seem to have got to step 6 of my walk through. The remaining steps 7-11 are about adding a background image.
    look forward to hear from you
    cheers
    joo

BTW - what about adding the image on a cetrain gradient image that i found on the net.... see the attachements. The question is aimed to get some better backgrounds: As you can imagine: Two pictures ghosted or let me better say put on each other. How can i do this on the easieset way. Do i need GML_Matting-Filter!? Look forward to hear from you
    btw: see the attached files... with some gradient backgrounds.. Note; i found the backgrounds here http://www.nem5.com/graphics/grad/6.html or
    http://www.nem5.com/graphics/grad/8.html .... ant the like...

The question is how to mount the background together with the image. Do i have to run the GML_Matting_filter again or can i solve this task somehow with other ways...!?

if i should explain it a bit more - then lemme know!!

Name:	Kopie (6) von my_reworked_image_22.png 
Views:	1214 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	1514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradient_four.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	1515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradient_one.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	1516   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradient_three.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	1517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradient_two.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	1518  

Last edited by joo_driven; 18.06.2009 at 07:06 PM.

Thread Information