Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: How to change the background of this photograph?

  1. #1
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2
    Version
    IrfanView 4.10
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP2
    CPU Cores
    4

    Smile How to change the background of this photograph?

    Friends at the outset, I must say that I simply love Irfan View!
    I am using v4.10.

    And I just recently discovered Irfan Paint v 0.4.11.64!
    which is a fantastic addition!

    Thanks to all you wizards for both these programs!

    Need some help ...

    Here is a picture of a heroine from India.

    I want to remove EVERYTHING in the background behind her -
    I want to remove ALL the people aimlessly hanging around her
    and have a plain simple white background!



    How can I do that with Irfan Paint?

    I tried doing it but it is a painfully slow process using the brush
    and it is difficult to draw an accurate line around the heroine's bulging curves!

    I have a feeling that there are easier ways to do it. Could you please help?

    Would appreciate any tricks from experts here!

    Thanks in advance and all good wishes!

    Me Paparazzi

  2. #2
    Plugin Author MItaly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Posts
    515
    Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    CPU Cores
    4

    Default

    I think that IrfanPaint is not the right tool, you should use something more advanced like the GIMP.
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

  3. #3
    Professional User Mij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,764
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    3

    Default

    I think it will be tricky whatever program you use because you have a very fussy background with colors almost the same as in the foreground.
    I did try the color replacer tool in Irfanpaint on your picture but ended up doing a great deal of manual touching up especially around her hair and that right arm that has another arm behind it. You would probably have the same problems in Gimp or Photopaint trying to create masks with the Magic wand tool and might have to resort to more advanced methods there.

    One tip if you do try painting in the background by hand in Irfanpaint is to use the Erase tool instead of the brush. If you load the background color you want as the IP background color you can paint the background using the left mouse button and repair the subject when you paint too far using the right button. Working from both sides of the boundary like this allows you lots of trial and error to see what works best for you. I get best results using quite a large brush, myself. Avoid using Undo though if you are working this way. Use the right button instead to erase.

  4. #4
    Moderator Frank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    1,527
    Version
    IrfanView 4.38
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores
    2

    Default

    Try also PhotoFiltre and see this german description: "Colorkey mit PhotoFiltre"!

  5. #5
    Moderator Sam_Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    1,896
    Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Well, some workarounds can be done, but in fact IrfanView is not capable of this.
    As said, the background is too fuzzy, with colors too close to those of the object, so the 'fill' function can't work.
    You'll need some paint program with the ability to make a point-to-point selection manually.
    Then wipe the outside region of the selection to be converted to a white background.
    Like this raw example :
    0.6180339887
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

  6. #6
    Professional User Mij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,764
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    3

    Default

    I had a try in IrfanView using the 8BF filter GML Matting. It was still hard work.

    Try to get her picture with a nice plain background next time Mepaparazzi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swahl0_1.jpg 
Views:	1024 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	1468  
    Last edited by Mij; 07.06.2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to attach image

  7. #7
    IV Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2
    Version
    IrfanView 4.10
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP2
    CPU Cores
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MItaly View Post
    I think that IrfanPaint is not the right tool, you should use something more advanced like the GIMP.
    Thanks MItaly!

    My whole purpose is to really stretch the Irfan Paint tool!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    I think it will be tricky whatever program you use because you have a very fussy background with colors almost the same as in the foreground.
    I did try the color replacer tool in Irfanpaint on your picture but ended up doing a great deal of manual touching up especially around her hair and that right arm that has another arm behind it. You would probably have the same problems in Gimp or Photopaint trying to create masks with the Magic wand tool and might have to resort to more advanced methods there.

    One tip if you do try painting in the background by hand in Irfanpaint is to use the Erase tool instead of the brush. If you load the background color you want as the IP background color you can paint the background using the left mouse button and repair the subject when you paint too far using the right button. Working from both sides of the boundary like this allows you lots of trial and error to see what works best for you. I get best results using quite a large brush, myself. Avoid using Undo though if you are working this way. Use the right button instead to erase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    I had a try in IrfanView using the 8BF filter . It was still hard work.

    Try to get her picture with a nice plain background next time Mepaparazzi.
    Thanks for the SUPER effort Mij! I think it looks quite nice!

    Will get some more pics of this babe too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Try also PhotoFiltre and see this german description: "Colorkey mit PhotoFiltre"!
    Sorry Frank dont really know German!
    Anything translated in English please?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Zen View Post
    Well, some workarounds can be done, but in fact IrfanView is not capable of this.
    As said, the background is too fuzzy, with colors too close to those of the object, so the 'fill' function can't work.
    You'll need some paint program with the ability to make a point-to-point selection manually.
    Then wipe the outside region of the selection to be converted to a white background.
    Like this raw example :

    Another awesome effort Sam_Zen! You guys are simply FABULOUS like IrfanView and Irfan Paint! All power to you!

    I have been toying with the idea of vignetting the background. Something like what is explained in this tutorial.

    Is that possible and may be it is easier to do?

    http://www.webdesign.org/web/photosh...rt-1.2908.html

  8. #8
    Professional User Mij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Camberley, Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,764
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mepaparazzi View Post
    My whole purpose is to really stretch the Irfan Paint tool!

    I have been toying with the idea of vignetting the background. Something like what is explained in this tutorial.

    Is that possible and may be it is easier to do?
    There is no vignetting feature in IrfanView itself but again there are 8BF filters that can be installed to do this sort of work. There is one mentioned on this forum thread. Give it a try.

  9. #9
    Moderator Sam_Zen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NL
    Posts
    1,896
    Version
    IrfanView 4.27
    OS
    Win XP Home SP1
    CPU Cores
    1

    Default

    Auto-selection point-to-point of a certain area can be done in two ways, if a certain range of colors is concerned.
    As the fill function does with a certain tolerance.

    Sometimes the area outside of the object is easier to select.
    Sometimes the colours of the object itself have more unique consistency.
    As PSP has, a resulted selection of in- or outside area can be reversed in function as area.
    0.6180339887
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

  10. #10

    Default

    hi there Sam_Zen, hello Mij and Mepapparazzi,

    grat thread. It shows what can be done with the great irvanview. Now i try to get the plugins.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Zen View Post
    Auto-selection point-to-point of a certain area can be done in two ways, if a certain range of colors is concerned. As the fill function does with a certain tolerance.
    i grabbed the tool - the GML Matting 8BF filter
    i downloaded so far the - saw that i have no Adobe-part of Plugin-folder. How to create that one!?

    look forward to hear from you

    thx in advance

    regards
    joo

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •