Custom/Fine Rotation Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom/Fine Rotation Problem

I have used the Custom/Fine Rotation feature for many years and love it. Suddenly I find that any time I try to use it to change a photo a little, it rotates 45 degrees no matter what I plug in. Does anyone have a fix for me? I cannot find a solution. I have removed and reinstalled twice and it still does it. ??????? Help. Thank you in advance.

No problem here using the Custom Rotate dialogue Control U. I can enter any angle.

Have you tried using the Straighten Tool with the IrfanPaint Plugin (F12)?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by randy49 View Post
      I have used the Custom/Fine Rotation feature for many years and love it. Suddenly I find that any time I try to use it to change a photo a little, it rotates 45 degrees no matter what I plug in. Does anyone have a fix for me? I cannot find a solution. I have removed and reinstalled twice and it still does it. ??????? Help. Thank you in advance.
      You say that this change came 'suddenly', but that should make it easier to identify its cause. Did you install any new software (especially IV upgrades) recently, between now and the last time this feature worked correctly for you ?

Also, have you tried one of the old pictures, where you could previously use Custom/Fine Rotation, to verify that it now fails for those very same pictures ?

Another thing to consider is what picture file format you are using, as that too may affect some functionality (though I'm not myself sure exactly how ).

Since you are reporting a new problem with a function that works fine for others, it is important that you report all details that may have any bearing on the problem.

Best regards: dlanor

Comment

Probable explanation: When you installed the new version, Vista pulled a fresh switcheroo. You have two INI files and IV is reading the wrong one--or else you don't have write privileges in the IV folder. I can produce the same problem by making my INI read-only.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Perfect - I was hoping there was a guru out there who might recognize this problem. The only hitch is, I have no idea how to go about tweaking an INI file and/or what the correct value should be. Is it a difficult fix?

Comment

For some good overall instructions, read this

If you are the only user of your computer, giving yourself write privileges to the i_view32.ini should settle everything.

The Program Files folder in Vista is the worst place to put any program that writes to its own home directory. You can use install options to create a different location. Or, in the case of IrfanView, you could simply copy it elsewhere and uninstall the original, then make your own shortcuts and reconfigure freely.
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
              If you are the only user of your computer, giving yourself write privileges to the i_view32.ini should settle everything.
              Sorry, Matera. With Vista if i_view32.ini is in Program Files then that will not help. Unlike in XP a program does not inherit the privileges of the user. The only way you can write to a file in Program Files is to Run as Administrator and I would not advise anyone to do that unless they are very sure of what they are doing.

Randy49, it is important in Vista to get that i_view32.ini file sorted out. If you selected the right installation options there should be no changes to make, but here is what to check.

1. Press the Windows Start button and type into the Start search box Shell:Programfiles then Enter. That should take you straight to the Program Files folder. If you have an IrfanView folder there then open it. In it you should see copies of the files i_view32.exe and i_view32.ini. (Note: If you are not displaying the .exe and .ini part of the filename then i_view32.exe is the one with the "flat cat" icon and i_view32.ini has a "gear wheel". The one with the yellow question mark is the Help file i_view32.chm.)

2. Double click on i_view32.ini and it should open in Notepad. If not open Notepad and drag i_view32.ini to it. The important lines that should be in the file are
              [Others]
              INI_FOLDER=%APPDATA%\IrfanView

If they are not there, type them in at the top of the page. Delete everything else and Save the file. You may be asked for confirmation and/or an Administrator password.

3. Before closing the IrfanView folder check if the words Compatibility files appear on the Toolbar. If you see that then click on the words and a new folder should open. Check to see if there is another copy of i_view32.ini there. If so Delete it.

4. Close everything and run IrfanView. This time IrfanView will create a new working copy of i_view32.ini file where you can write to it. If you want to find it afterwards you can type Shell:Appdata into the Start Search box and then open i_view32.ini in Notepad to see what is in it.

If you prefer not to edit the ini file at step 2 then you can, as Matera suggests, just move the whole program somewhere else and run it there. Click the back arrow to return to Program files and then drag the IrfanView folder icon out of the window and drop it onto either your User icon or the Public one. Click on that icon to open it and navigate to i_view32.exe in the IrfanView folder. Right click and drag the flat cat icon onto the Desktop and select Create Shortcut Here from the pop-up menu. Don't forget to delete the old IrfanView shortcut on the desktop which will not work any more.

Comment

Working...
              X