Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

perspective correction

Hi,

A bit of background... I've been using Irfanview as a simple editing tool for probably close to 10 years. It suits my needs brilliantly. However, sometimes I receive scanned images of logos printed or embroidered on items which have not been laid flat on the scanner e.g. clothing. The scanned images are often skewed. Is there a possibility of introducing a skew tool?

I know there's a basic one in MS Paint, and also in Photoshop among others, but the paint one only has the option to skew by degree and Photoshop is rather expensive. Is it something that could be looked at?

I appreciate that it might not be an in-demand tool, just wondering if it has ever been thought of.

Many thanks,
    Harry

Do you know the function "fine rotation"?

see: "two possible methods of 'fine rotation' in IrfanView"

Comment

I think with skewed he might mean they became trapezoid and that needs correcting, since he says "I receive scanned images of logos printed or embroidered on items which have not been laid flat on the scanner", and flat is not the same as straight, not flat would mean parts are farther away and would become progressively bigger as they get closer to the scanner and smaller as they are more distant, thus a trapezoid correction would be needed.

I think there might be free 8bf photoshop style plugins for that that you can get that would work in the irfanview plugin interface, but finding which plugin and where is another matter

Comment

I think with skewed he might mean they became trapezoid ...
        Then try: ShiftN

PS: Such an feature in IrfanView would be very good, but I didn't know the priorities of Irfan Skiljan!

Comment

Might try PaintStar which is small and powerful for this kind of editing. It has several advanced manipulation tools and is much more suitable than an image viewer, which isn't meant to do editing. I mean, you wouldn't use Photoshop to browse photos, so why use IrfanView to edit?

Comment

Wow, nice support of you guys Frank and Skippybox!

Nice to see people helping others.

Comment

Thanks.

Yes, we are lucky to have many wonderful people on this forum. Thank-you everyone for your contributions over the years! It has been well appreciated.

Comment

Just for the not-wise-to-the-net, when a software package asks permission to install any kind of 'toolbar' (like paintstar) make sure you select no, or deselect the checkbox for OK, it's nice that they ask these days but it's still the same stuff you don't want on your system.
                Many software packages get paid to add that to the installer but it's malware meant to spy on you for commercial purposes, so that part you don't want.
                Don't be fooled, but once you selected no, or deselected yes, it's all OK normally.

Comment

Thanks Frank. Didn't know ShiftN..

One can find out about PaintStar features here

I think skewing is a quite complicated rendering, so not directly the task of an image viewer.
                  As said by Dabble (nice warning, by the way), it should be something for a 8bf plugin.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                    ... it should be something for a 8bf plugin.
                    The ShiftN website, among other things, points to Martin Vicanek's plugin website where you will find the (free) perspective.8bf

http://vicanek.de/plugins/perspective.htm

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Thanks jazzman,

I've tested the "Perspective.8bf" (Perspective Transformations) from Martin Vicanek's website
                      and I must say: This is a very good solution in combination with IrfanView!

Comment

Hi folks,

Thank you all very much for the prompt replies...

Originally posted by Frank View Post

Then try: ShiftN

PS: Such an feature in IrfanView would be very good, but I didn't know the priorities of Irfan Skiljan!
                        Believe it or not this is a problem that has also popped up for me in the past, where someone would photograph, for example, a club crest on a wall or floor and the perspective would be impossible for me to work with. I make embroidery files for machine embroidered crests for sports clubs etc. so I need accurate artwork to replicate a crest... Often people would just take a photo from a random angle to the wall, rather than get as perpendicular to it as possible. The Perspective Transformations plug-in on the vicanek.de website is brilliant.

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                        Might try PaintStar which is small and powerful for this kind of editing. It has several advanced manipulation tools and is much more suitable than an image viewer, which isn't meant to do editing. I mean, you wouldn't use Photoshop to browse photos, so why use IrfanView to edit?
                        Thanks Skippybox, I looked at this program, it does have the editing abilities I needed, but I was a bit skeptical when the toolbar installer as mentioned below was offered, so it was an option, at best. As I said, I could do the needed editing by opening another app such as MS Paint (crap), it's just that Irfanview does everything I need bar the ability to skew, which has been solved...

Originally posted by Dabble View Post
                        Just for the not-wise-to-the-net, when a software package asks permission to install any kind of 'toolbar' (like paintstar) make sure you select no, or deselect the checkbox for OK, it's nice that they ask these days but it's still the same stuff you don't want on your system.
                        Many software packages get paid to add that to the installer but it's malware meant to spy on you for commercial purposes, so that part you don't want.
                        Don't be fooled, but once you selected no, or deselected yes, it's all OK normally.
                        Well to the wise, but thanks

Originally posted by jazzman View Post
                        The ShiftN website, among other things, points to Martin Vicanek's plugin website where you will find the (free) perspective.8bf

http://vicanek.de/plugins/perspective.htm
                        Jazzman, this is exactly what I needed to be able to skew / transform perspective in images. Thanks a million.

As mentioned, I had other ways to fix distorted images but the ability to do everything I needed to do from within IV was my preferred option. I find IV excellent for increasing the resolution of web graphics to the 300DPI or so I need for accurate reproduction, for instance. It's fast and it's simple to use. I guess, having used IV for 10+ years, I'm just an old dog who'll only learn new tricks from the one master, and IV has been that for a long time.

Anyway, you guys have solved my problem and the only thing left to say is, why on earth didn't I ask before now

Much obliged to you all,
                        Harry

Comment

Originally posted by HarryOutback View Post
                          Thanks Skippybox, I looked at this program, it does have the editing abilities I needed, but I was a bit skeptical when the toolbar installer as mentioned below was offered, so it was an option, at best.
                          I agree you must be careful with annoying add-ons included with installs, but it is an option that you can gladly disable. Let us not forget that our own IrfanView tries to offer us Google Desktop Search in its install process, but we know IV is a good product. So, we should not be threatened by something the author has chosen to finance his product. But, always good to point out to people, Dabble, so we can be on alert.

Comment

Thanks a lot, jazzman! Nice site with many other nice functions.
                            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                              Thanks a lot, jazzman! Nice site with many other nice functions.
                              I second that. Martin Vicanek's site is a treasure. At last a set of 8bf plugins with really useful editing functions, not the usual crop of yet more ways of distorting the image into something even weirder than the last.
                              I look forward to many happy hours checking out what I can do with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X