Unable to play .AVI files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to play .AVI files

I am running Vista Business, and have just downloaded IrfanView 4.00 and all the IrfanView codecs. When I try to play an AVI file I get the message:

Video not available, cannot find 'vids:mjpg' decompressor.

I have checked the codecs that I have, and the two that I have that mention AVI files are:

IV_PLAYER.EXE 3.35
    VIDEO.DLL 4.00

What else should I do?

Thanks,
    John Fistere

You need a Motion JPEG (MJPG) decompressor. IrfanView does not decode any video by itself. FFdshow is a great decoder and if you make its VFW (Video for Windows) part work on your system, it will decode MJPG in IrfanView.

Unfortunately I don't know if it installs under Vista and do they still have VFW. By switching to a new OS you can expect well known programs stop working...
    Last edited by j7n; 16.08.2007, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Since both of the codecs I listed mention AVI files, I would expect one of them to work, even though IrfanView may not actually be "playing" it. Also, the audio is working.

I did a little test. I temporarily renamed each codec in turn. If I rename IV_PLAYER.EXE there is no change in behavior. I get audio, a screen full of diagnonal lines, and the same diagnostic message. If I rename VIDEO.DLL, there is a blank screen, silence, and no error message.

Also, if I change the file extension from .AVI to .mpg, IrfanView will play it. But of course, that is not a solution.

Cheers,
      John Fistere

Comment

Mjpg

Looks like a flaw in irfanview. Motion JPEG is pretty old.
        Windows media, RealPlayer, Nero Showtime, and Divx
        players on my Windows XP machine all play the "AVI"
        file with codec "vids:mjpg", but not Irfanview. Like you
        said, only the audio is played. I got my clip from a
        Cannon PowerShot SD550.

Comment

First of all, changing the file-extension from one format to another, is a useless thing to do.
          It just becomes dependent of the ability of error-correction of the application.

I experience the same trouble playing AVI while running W2K. I guess, it's a codec thing indeed.
          At least trouble with some files, noty all, so there appears to be a difference in AVI-format.
          (I have the same problem playing some AVI's with the lister of TC, also with the 'only sound' result)

So I tested two AVI's. One which can be played, the other not.
          The notation "vids:mjpg" is an XP expression and much too vague.

To get the exact codec information of a certain AVI-file, try MediaInfo.
          Differences between files become obvious.

Maybe the 'K-Lite codec pack' at H.Edskes Finalbuilds can help here.
          The version of DivX also plays a role in this.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Try Irfanview help file, Frequently asked questions. Questions 2 or 4.
            Hope it helps
            Al

Comment

There is no single Motion JPEG standard. Videos created by different brands of cameras are not necessarily compatible.

When you changed the file extension, what you really did was changed the playback engine from VFW (Video For Windows) to DS (DirectShow). IrfanView does not play anything. It merely uses one of these engines to do the dirty work.

Comment

Working...
              X