Batch Resize THEN crop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Batch Resize THEN crop

Hi there, I tend to have a lot of files that I need to resize to a specific size, (600 x 340), as I don't want to distort them, and the fact that they tend to get sent to me if different sizes eg, 1440 x 720, 640 x 480, etc, I generally need to resize them FIRST to 600 x ??? (think it's about 384) keeping the aspect ratio, Then I need to crop it to chop just the bottom off so it keeps it at 600 x 340.

I do both of these tasks at the moment by Batch so I'm quiet comfortable using the batch option, however if I try and do both tasks at once it will crop it first to 340 on the y axis, and then resize the image to 600 wide, all and all making the picture about 600 x 74pdi (due to the size of the original image and the fact that it CROPS first).

I think it would be great if there was the option to be able to select Resize first or crop first when you want to perform this action. If I could Resize first and then crop in the batch mode, it would save a heap of time.

• First crop your pictures with JPEGCrops!
      (JPEGCrops is a Windows program, created for preparation of a batch of images for printing.
      It provides lossless cropping with fixed aspects using jpegtran.)
    • Now use "Batch Resizing" with IrfanView!
      In program menu choose: \File\Batch Conversion/Rename...\,
      select "Use advanced options (for bulk, resize...)", selected "Advanced", then select "Resize"!
      In "Resize" options select "Set long side to" or "Set short side to"!
      Start "Batch" process!

Comment

I have never tried using resize and crop in the same batch operation, but I think you are right, Jonnyscott, Resize before Crop would be much more sensible.

In fact I cannot think of any case where Crop before Resize might be wanted.

Comment

What you describe Jonnyscott is a fundamental problem with IrfanView's batch conversion, it makes assumptions. You are correct, there is usually never only one way to do things, and with so many options, it's funny to imagine so. IrfanView should adopt a new interface like other batch converters, that allows the user to select items and prioritize them in a list (like the file builder list). It would probably eliminate the easy all-on-one-page layout, but clean up the dialog allowing for more options and settings.

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        In fact I cannot think of any case where Crop before Resize might be wanted.
        Actually quite the contrary IMO. Crop seems like something you would do first, since you want to remove or hide unnecessary parts of an image that can be variable in amount. Afterwards, you would want to do the resize for your intended destination and also to make the images more similar in size. This is probably why IrfanView makes the assumption, since this would be more common. However, I agree, almost anything has a reverse purpose as well. Cropping after resize can make sense sometimes, as either way you could end up losing more of the image in a quest for common size.

Comment

Yes I must agree Skippybox: Cropping and then resizing in some cases is recommended, as you would be working with with a larger image, cropping out what you don't need and then resizing it down.

However in the case of the batch method with images varying in size, the option of being able to Resize first and then cropping makes life so much easier using the batch method as my cropping must be of a certain size, (eg, always keep the with of the orginal image at 600dpi, then crop the hight to 340dpi)

The way I see things working are, If Both Cropping and Resizing are being used, then a checkbox or something is avaliable giving you the option to Resize first then crop or vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnyscott View Post
            The way I see things working are, If Both Cropping and Resizing are being used, then a checkbox or something is avaliable giving you the option to Resize first then crop or vice versa.
            I think it goes farther than that. Almost any option could use some ordering. There is no way to know when in the conversion you might want to change the canvas size, rotate, flip, add text, or apply filters/color modifications.

Here is how XnView does Batch Conversion; simple, clean, and powerful:

Originally posted by Jonnyscott View Post
            (eg, always keep the with of the orginal image at 600dpi, then crop the hight to 340dpi)
            Why are the DPIs mismatched?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Skippybox; 10.06.2009, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I think, nothing is better than "Batch Resizing" with IrfanView! (All steps are easy and understandable!)
              But the cropping of pictures will be always an individual task. (Therefore I take the ingenious program JPEGCrops!)

I will never use XnView for one of the two tasks, because it's too unclear and has too many options! XnView is a nice toy (and is able to open each unknown or unimportant format) - however no super example, how a slim and operably program should look like! But sometimes such a program can be also good, in order to compare the applied method for comparable functions!

That's why it's better to improve characteristics of cropping with IrfanView only according to JPEGCrops!

Comment

It was not my intention to have IrfanView completely mimic XnView and all its options. I was really just trying to display for everyone, how IrfanView might offer a list of operations to choose from, and build the steps of a conversion. All of IrfanView's same operations and options could be exactly the same. It just would be nice to tell it what order they should be in. This sure would save much time and effort over the inconvenience of doing several batch jobs to achieve the desired result. It wouldn't be much different than the way you assemble a slideshow list or batch file list.

I do have to say that keeping the options separate like in the picture does keep things simple and clean, by not confusing the user with all the options at once. But, I would agree that having all the operations on one page has been convenient in IrfanView, since it does give you the "big picture" of what is available and going on. I can't see how adding a numbering system to this would be any use, since it would only cause more clutter and be less intuitive.

I do find one problem with XnView, and that would be that your settings don't get retained for the next batch operation, like in IrfanView (although exporting settings are possible in XnView similar to IrfanView). I would imagine that this is only the author's decision though.

In response to cropping, it is indeed largely an independent task. Yet, like the OP points out, automation is sometimes necessary or useful, to bring images in line with a particular size or to do general trimming. In these cases, the image's content isn't always of concern.
                Last edited by Skippybox; 11.06.2009, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Frank: First crop your pictures with JPEGCrops!

Thanks for this, this might be something I can do in the mean time, however I really like the idea of not having to use seperate programs, 1 program to do the tasks can make life so much easier.

Skippybox:

Thanks for your responses too, the image program you mentioned looks fairly easy to use so I might have a bit of a play with that and see how that goes, as it would cut down the amount of time required for work.

I do understand that in most cases cropping is an individual task, but as I've stated, content doesn't matter of the image too much (it matters enough that it needs to resize first) so automating it to resize first and then cropping would make a huge different.

Thanks for both of your suggestions, will hope to see some possible change on this.

Comment

I also would like to see an option to sort the steps in batch-conversion.
                    I'm thinking of the feature "Sharpen", which does a significant difference, if executed before resize or after.
                    You could possibly think of many more situations.
                    It would also be nice, to add, for example "Sharpen" before AND after resizing an image. So a list would be perfect, as stated by Skippybox above (also virtualDub has a nice and simple list to add filters and sort them, maybe a good first step?)

best regards

Comment

Hi,

I'm also trying to use the batch resize, but I want it to set the output size to 200x200, while retaining the asptect ratio.

However, the source pictures are a wide variety of different shapes and sizes and after the batch conversion only 1 side is 200 and the other is < 200.

What I want is for ifranview to 'pad' the image with white space to make it 200x200.

Can it do this, or is there a 'padding' tool I can run after the conversion?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jxm View Post
                        I'm also trying to use the batch resize, but I want it to set the output size to 200x200, while retaining the asptect ratio.

What I want is for ifranview to 'pad' the image with white space to make it 200x200.
                        I would just use Faststone Image Viewer or the Photo Resizer for that. Select both Resize and Canvas categories in Batch.

Comment

Another method is to use the Create Contact Sheet option from the thumbnail view (T).

Output all pages of the contact sheet to separate files.
                          Attached Files
                          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That totally works, too. Still, you'd lose the file names, but even so, it can be a good way to go.
                            Last edited by Skippybox; 12.01.2010, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X