No announcement yet.

Ghostscript plug-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same problem... and I found out that the solution, at least for me, lies in one simple thing: I didn't install the Ghostscript into the default directory suggested by the GS installer. When I done that (program files\gs), I started to see .EPS and .PS files in Irfan.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurent View Post
      Hi jenik,

Let's do some tests...

1. Check the version number of these files:
      c:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe: is it 4.0.0.0?
      c:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Postscript.dll: is it 3.9.8.0?
      If one version number is different, the main program and the plug-ins don't match. Uninstall and make a clean reinstall from freshly downloaded setup files (program and plug-ins).

2. Go to the directory where you installed GhostScript. It has a name like "gs#.##". What is it exactly? If it is > 8.54 you certainly don't have AFPL GhostScript. Search in this forum for "AFPL GPL" and you'll have an explanation.

3. Using Notepad for example, create a new text file with this line (without quotes)
      "newpath 200 600 50 0 360 arc stroke showpage"
      and save it as test.ps in the subdirectory \bin of the one where you installed GhostScript (you must find gswin32c.exe there). Open a console and go to that subdirectory (cd) and type (without quotes)
      "gswin32c test.ps" + hit Enter
      Do you see a new window with part of a circle drawn?
      If not, maybe there is a problem with the installation of GhostScript.

Hope this can help you.

Laurent
      Hi Laurent,
      I did all that stuff you said. Unfortunately my Postscript.dll: is 3.9.8.0 & my irfan proggie is: 4.1.0.0. I did download the latest program & plugins & have verified I have AFPL GhostScript & I did the test.ps thing & I saw the circle. Do you have a more up to date Postscript.dll you could e-mail me?

Hell, I even downloaded another viewer, xnview I think, & that didn't work.

Any idea where I go from here?

Comment

Hi neko,

Well, you have the right version of IrfanView and Postscript.dll (the same as here). Just to answer your query, there is a link to IrfanView Directory Browsing at the bottom of the home page of the forum.

Ghostscript is working since you can see the circle. As you verified you have the AFPL version (you didn't mention the version number), I guess IrfanView will not show even the circle. Then I have to admit that I have no more idea to help

Last hope: uninstall IV and GS and reinstall (I saw bembelembe's post in this thread where he explains that installing GS in Program Files instead the default directory solved the problem).

Laurent
        Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

...Ghostscript is working since you can see the circle. As you verified you have the AFPL version (you didn't mention the version number), I guess IrfanView will not show even the circle. Then I have to admit that I have no more idea to help

Laurent
          Hi Laurent,
          Well, I did miss something to tell you. The test.ps file *does* show up in Irfan view (I see the circle), however the original *.eps file I am trying to open does not.

The *.eps file was created using some kind of desktop pubishing system, like Quark, I assume. Could it just be incompatible with Irfan view?

Comment

Hi neko,

That's a good news.
            Then maybe it's a problem with the EPS file. Check if Ghostscript gives an error (like point 3 above):
            - copy your EPS file in the subdirectory \bin where you installed Ghostscript (you must find gswin32c.exe there),
            - open a console and go to that subdirectory (cd) and type (without quotes)
            "gswin32c file.eps" + hit Enter,
            - look if your file is displayed and look in the command window if GS displays an error message.

If there is an error, it is posible that there is really an error in your EPS or that it uses a command that isn't recognized by GS. If the EPS is not too big, you could post it so that I look if I am able to find the error.

Laurent

Comment

Hi neko,

That's a good news.
              Then maybe it's a problem with the EPS file. Check if Ghostscript gives an error (like point 3 above):
              - copy your EPS file in the subdirectory \bin where you installed Ghostscript (you must find gswin32c.exe there),
              - open a console and go to that subdirectory (cd) and type (without quotes)
              "gswin32c file.eps" + hit Enter,
              - look if your file is displayed and look in the command window if GS displays an error message.

If there is an error, it is posible that there is really an error in your EPS or that it uses a command that isn't recognized by GS. If the EPS is not too big, you could post it so that I look if I am able to find the error.

Laurent
              Hi Laurent, I got this error:

<!-- START CODE -->

Error: /syntaxerror in -file-
              Operand stack:

Execution stack:
              %interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostri
              - 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-
              lse 1 %stopped_push 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3
              %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop .runexec2 --nost
              l-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push
              Dictionary stack:
              --dict:1120/1686(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict
              Current allocation mode is local
              Current file position is 34
              AFPL Ghostscript 8.54: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

<!-- END CODE -->

So looks like it's the file that is the problem. Can I PM you the URL, so you could download the file & have a try?

Comment

Hi neko,

Send me a private mail (left-click on my name at left then choose "Send a private message" in the list. I'll look at your file but I cant' promise I'll find the solution.

Laurent

Comment

Hi neko,

Send me a private mail (left-click on my name at left then choose "Send a private message" in the list. I'll look at your file but I cant' promise I'll find the solution.

Laurent
                  PM sent.

Please don't waste too much time on this. If, after a cursory glance, you can't find out a problem, then don't worry about it.

Comment

Hi neko,

Your file is a binary EPS. I can't do anything. Sorry. After searching the web, it seems it is common in Mac world to save PostScript in binary format (to save space), but these files are difficult to use in PC's world. Try to find someone with a Mac.

Laurent

Comment

i guess i had the wrong ghostscript down load

i downloaded gs854w32-gpl.exe WHITCH WAS NOT THE RIGHT ONE FOR ME.

here is what made mine work:

i removed it and replaced with gs854w32.exe, agreeing to default directory.

Comment

Hi I'm a newbie here. I've installed the software and plugins and when I try to open an eps file and of course I get the following error

"Invalid EPS file (no EPS preview image available, try AFPL Ghostscript Plugin)"

I've tried to install this ghostscript but I'm not sure if I'm installing it correctly becuase when you go to the site your given all of these different choices and I don't know which one and it's downloaded as a zipfile so I'm not sure if I'm opening and extracting them to the right folder.

I don't write code, edit registries, etc. I'm a novice to intermediate computer user. Can anyone give me some easy instructions on what to do.

Thanks,
                        cadolfan

Comment

Hi cadolfan,

Look here , here and here above in this thread.

Maybe wrong version of Ghostscript, wrong installation, lacking plug-in, wrong plug-in, bad eps file.

Laurent

Comment

Hi Laurent, thanks for the info.

At the mirror download site SourceForge.net above is a list of the AFPL Ghostsript downloads. Which one do I use? and do I just extract the files it's own folder on the c: drive?

ghostscript-8.54.tar.bz2
                            ghostscript-8.54.tar.gz
                            gs854os2.zip
                            gs854src.zip
                            gs854w32.exe
                            gs854w64.exe

I'll also post the eps file so you can tell me if it's corrupt. It shouldn't be.

Comment

Hi cadolfan,

I presume gs854w32.exe (if you run Windows 32 bits).

Laurent

Comment

Hi cadolfan,

I presume gs854w32.exe (if you run Windows 32 bits).

Laurent
                                BINGO! That was it. Thanks Laurent.

Comment

Working...
                                X