Ghostscript plug-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank,

Where does it say that? There was nothing in the change log, and the i_plugins .txt still states that AFPL 8.54 must be used!

I'd love to find out that you're correct, however!

Jon

Comment

Since V4.22/V4.23 you can choose between AFPL and GPL Ghostscript!

Please see also my two screenshots in the german thread: "Ghostscript Plugin"!

- my screenshot from 03.08.2008 = IrfanView V4.20 = AFPL Ghostscript required!
      - my screenshot from 28.12.2008 = IrfanView V4.22 = Ghostscript required!

Here the screenshots from the german thread!
      (An old and an actual screenshot from the list of supported file formats)

on the left: V4.20 / on the right: V4.22

(Click to view full size!)

Now there you can read "Ghostscript"! That means, you can choose between AFPL and GPL version!
      Last edited by Frank; 14.01.2009, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Frank,

You are correct! I just uninstalled AFPL 8.54 and installed GPL 8.63. Had to clean up the registry a bit, and fix an environment variable to the new directory, but after that, IV worked like a champ.

Thanks!

Jon

Comment

the reason of GPL support will be the ending of the development of AFPL

Presently I use the GPL version 8.63 of Ghostscript for using with IrfanView and FreePDF XP!

I think the reason for the support (now also) of the GPL Ghostscript version will be justified
          by the ending of the development of the AFPL Ghostscript version!

- IrfanPaint 0.4.12.66 (beta)
          - RIOT-Plugin: v0.2.1 DLL-Version
          - GPL Ghostscript V8.63 and also FreePDF XP V3.26
          Last edited by Frank; 15.01.2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

This is very good information to know, considering it could be easily missed. Thanks very much Frank, for posting this.

Comment

Hello, new on here and to Irfanview, and not amazingly computer-savvy as most posters seem to be. Problem with EPS/Ghostscript/Irfanview...have Irfan 4.23, plugins 4.22 (can't seem to get compatible versions, but don't know if that is an issue), and tried both Ghost AFPL 8.54 (which still gave me an error) and Ghost GPL 8.63 (the error for this claims to need AFPL). Beyond frustrated at this point- I just want to open an EPS image in Irfan and convert to a tif or gif or png or jpg. Oh- and I'm running Vista. Any suggestions???

Comment

Hi Sailgirl890,

Originally posted by Sailgirl890 View Post
                have Irfan 4.23, plugins 4.22 (can't seem to get compatible versions, but don't know if that is an issue)
                It is an exception: IrfanView 4.23 uses plug-ins 4.22.

, and tried both Ghost AFPL 8.54 (which still gave me an error) and Ghost GPL 8.63 (the error for this claims to need AFPL). Beyond frustrated at this point- I just want to open an EPS image in Irfan and convert to a tif or gif or png or jpg. Oh- and I'm running Vista. Any suggestions???
                I don't know how things go with Vista. Here it works well. I had AFPL 8.54 and I uninstalled it. Only GPL 8.63 remains.

You could uninstall both IrfanView and Ghostscript and make a clean reinstall if it was not the case before.

Now, it is possible that the error message has nothing to do with the real error (I had the case some time ago, but I don't remember what happened).

Laurent
                Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

I will try uninstalling and reinstalling today...the other thing I noticed on this forum is that some people were changing their gpl ghost registry wording (to say "afpl instead of gpl), but I wouldn't know how to do that. Has everyone needed to do this?

Comment

Hi Sailgirl890,

Originally posted by Sailgirl890 View Post
                    I will try uninstalling and reinstalling today...the other thing I noticed on this forum is that some people were changing their gpl ghost registry wording (to say "afpl instead of gpl), but I wouldn't know how to do that. Has everyone needed to do this?
                    Although I found this interesting, I never did it. I had both versions of gs installed.

Laurent
                    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

PDF looks Very Bad with Ghostscript

Fellow Forum Members,
                      Acrobat Version 9 does not allow viewing multiple PDF files in a single window. Therefore, I decided that my workaround is to install Ghostscript 8.54 addin to my Irfanview 4.23.

I love it how in Irfanview I can move my scroll wheel and I can view 50 PDF files in a single window simply by scrolling my mouse wheel.

What I'm not too happy about is that my PDF files in Irfanview look like garbage. Am I doing something wrong?

Are the PDFs meant to look very bad with Irfanview using Ghostscript? I hope there is a fix for this because as I said I am very happy with Irfanview's ability to view multiple PDF files in a single window.

Attached is one of my PDF files I am having quality problems with. Can someone out there please be kind enough to open it up with their Irfanview and let me know if the quality is bad or good.

This file was created using Snagit 9 and when I open it up in Acrobat 9 it looks very sharp and clean. However, in Irfanview it looks very bad. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                      Attached Files

Comment

You can get much better results in IrfanView. The converted image will be far better if you enhance the rasterization. Turn up the DPI for the plugin.

Also, for a smoother image like that of a PDF reader, enable View>Display options (window mode)>Use "Resample" for fitting (better quality). You would need to also choose an option that fits the image. Options>Properties/Settings>Full screen has a separate option, Use "Resample" function for display options (slower, but better quality). Window mode offers resampled zooming, but full screen does not.
                        Last edited by Skippybox; 20.03.2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binar View Post
                          Fellow Forum Members,
                          Acrobat Version 9 does not allow viewing multiple PDF files in a single window. Therefore, I decided that my workaround is to install Ghostscript 8.54 addin to my Irfanview 4.23.

I love it how in Irfanview I can move my scroll wheel and I can view 50 PDF files in a single window simply by scrolling my mouse wheel.
                          Try PDF-XChange Viewer. It has several benefits over Adobe Reader, especially its annotation and customisation features.

It also has very good Multiple Document Handling, very similar to Quick Tabs in Internet Explorer. You can open multiple documents in one window, and have document tabs at the top, like in your browser.

IrfanView must first convert each PDF to a bitmap, which may be slow for navigating PDF files if the postscript resolution is set to 300 dpi instead of the default 96 dpi.
                          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

@binar

PDF looks very bad with Ghostscript...
                            It's not easy! But you are not right!
                            You must consider Skippybox notice!
                            Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                            To set raster DPI, go to Properties>PlugIns>Other PlugIns>Postscript options:

If you apply a resample in the advanced batch dialog, the filter is taken from the Resize dialog (CTRL+R).
                            But mainly Ghostscript is used in combination with other programs (like FreePDF XP or PDFCreator)
                            for creating of pdf files! The presentation of pdf files with IrfanView is only a compromise!

Please consider also:
                            The development of the AFPL Ghostscript version is over since a long time!
                            That's why unfortunately AFPL Ghostscript will die, because it cannot completely read the new pdf versions!

The big advantage of IrfanView + Ghostscript is the ability to read the EPS, PS and PDF format (with Postscript plugin) and to write the PDF format (with ImPDF plugin)! For a better quality of these abilities and more speed you must use software which is mainly recommended for read/write of the pdf format! IrfanView is an image viewer!

Therefor it's better to use one of these tools:
                            Adobe Reader, Brava! Reader, CAD-KAS PDF Reader, Cool PDF Reader, eXPert PDF Reader, Foxit Reader, Ghostview, PDF-Xchange Viewer (Free), Sumatra PDF, Xpdf, ...
                            Last edited by Frank; 20.03.2009, 01:50 PM.

Comment

You can view multiple PDFs in one window using Adobe Reader. Just utilize the browser plugin, and open them in Internet Explorer or another supported browser that has tabs. This is also possible with other PDF readers with plugins.

Comment

Followup

Frank,
                                Thanks a lot for your help. I tried it out and the improvement in quality is tremendous. I can see all of the detail now in the file I attached. Thanks a lot.

Lastly, do you know what is the best software application to create screen captures of active windows and then save them in a PDF format? I have been trying out SnagIt, but this application has a serious problem. When I save a screen capture of an active window, SnagIt adds unwanted margins.

Can Ghostscript be used to generate screen captures of an active window like the PDF file I attached in my last post? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
                                Last edited by Frank; 08.04.2009, 11:54 AM. Reason: Removing of the quotation! (Too long! Not necessary!)

Comment

Working...
                                X