Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

while applying 8BF-Matting: "source must have opacity channel:plz promote to a layer"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

while applying 8BF-Matting: "source must have opacity channel:plz promote to a layer"

dear irfan-friends,

well first of all. i am a big fan of irfanview: on the way to rework an image i run into troubles. i want to apply the GML-Matting-filter on an image: see it here: http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/show...26&postcount=9

i chooese the GMLMATTING filter: - was told by Mij that it is the appropiate tool:
    GML Matting 8BF filter. I think it's brilliant (and its free). i grabbed it from here and put the 8BF into the Adobe part of my Plugins folder. Make sure you read the Alternative Output section in the Help file that downloads with it to find out how to work with IrfanView.
    thx to Mij for this excellent choice.

well - while applying the filter to the image i run into big troubles - i got a message back:

source must have opacity channel (make sure that your background is promoted to a layer)
    what does it mean... i have absolutly no glue!

look forward to any and all help.

greetings
    joo

the image i work on http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/show...26&postcount=9

BTW - what is aimed: the only thing i want is to have the image (that you worked on - ) with a better background. A background that is suitable for the use of the photo in
    a CV - (for application)
    Well - you see - i cannot use the photo with the lovely coast and the seaside-background. it looks very very nice. But i need some other background - can you help me here. Meanwhile i try to get the Matting-thing acticvated... . i will try and try ....
    Last edited by joo_driven; 13.06.2009, 06:02 PM. Reason: additional infos

I was expecting this, from your other thread about a matting filter, so selecting/replacing a certain background of an object.

I tested this GMLMATTING too, and this was the first time I encountered a 8bf plugin requesting layers.
    So of course IV reacts : not possible. No working with layers. So with this plugin you have to go to some shopper..

Isolating a background from an object in one action can be an extremely complicated action.
    If the image is graphical, it's often quite easy, few colors are used, so a Fill function with some tolerance could do the trick.
    With photographs it's often quite impossible. No significant difference between fore- and background.
    So one has to do this manually, a selection point to point of the outline of the object.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Hello again joo
      I think you have got too many threads running on this subject.

I did warn you about this message in this thread.
      All you need to do is check the box to say that the Host application does not support opacity, then OK. IrfanView does not support layers and masks with variable opacity (or transparency) like Photoshop. So when you check that box the filter provides an Alternative output that can be used in a program like IrfanView. Did you install the help file GMLMatting.chm with the filter? If so just press F1 and read all about Alternative output. Check my attachment to see what you are looking for.
      Since you now appear to have this 8BF filter in the right place I suggest that we return to where we are discussing how to use it which I think is here. I will post some more instructions there tomorrow.
      Attached Files

Comment

hello Mij, hello Sam_Zen

many many thanks for the reply. Well great to see you supporting the commonity.

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        Hello again joo
        I think you have got too many threads running on this subject.

I did warn you about this message in this thread.

I suggest that we return to where we are discussing how to use it which I think is here. I will post some more instructions there tomorrow.
        i apreciate your help - and i agree to head over to the other thread.... i went to the thread .... you adviced me - here allready. Ive posted some results - and aditionally a image with the work in progress...

see you there...

Again many many thanks for the help
        joo

Comment

OK joo
          I don't think Mepaparazzi will mind us hijacking his thread since we are discussing what he originally requested, so see you there later in the day when I have a spare moment. (The grass needs to be cut first).

Comment

good day dear Mij

many thanks for the posting. Glad that you are back again.

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            OK joo I don't think Mepaparazzi will mind us hijacking his thread since we are discussing what he originally requested,
            sure thing - since he posted a similar question with a much more attractive indish heroine. . No - i am very very happy to discuss with you all this issue. And i am glad to see this fruitful discussion

so see you there later in the day when I have a spare moment. (The grass needs to be cut first).
            sure - i wait. Have a great afternoon

greetings from Bavaria
            Joo

Comment

Working...
            X