Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Resize/Resample

Hi all:

This is my first day here and my first post but I've been using IrfanView for a long time and updated the software a couple of days ago. I tried to reduce the size of a picture the same way I always did it: Image=>Resize/Resample. It asked to to install the PlugIns, which I did, then I tried to resize the picture and it gives me the following message:

LuraWave JP2

IrfanView JPEG200 PlugIn can save images up to 640 x 480 pixels. If you want to save larger images, please register your copy
    I used to resize all kinds of sizes to any other size and never had this problem. What is wrong now?

LuraWave JP2 Plugin Registration

Comment

Hi Skippybox, I followed that suggestion and downlowaded FastStone. Yes, it did work now, the same way it used to work with IrfanView before I downloaded its latest version.

Why is it that IrfanView doesn't do it anymore?

Comment

Bhikkhu Pesala, evidently you do have a deep knowledge about this topic. Let me ask you a question. I just posted for the first time like 2 hours ago about resizing with IrfanView.

I have been using this software for years and never had a problem with resizing pictures until I downloaded the latest version a couple of days ago, as I explained in my thread. Why does the new IrfanView version requiere to download the PlugIns from LuraWave to do the resize job?

I ended up downloading another software (FastStone) to do it.

Comment

I think the question has been answered already by Skippy Box.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Marcial View Post
            Why is it that IrfanView doesn't do it anymore?
            Which was your last used version of IrfanView?
            3.98 or an earlier version?

see:
            - "extend batch formats"
            - "Jpeg2000"

see "i_changes.txt" of IrfanView V3.99:

(Click to view full size!)

That means:
            To be able to use this function with IrfanView you must downgrade to version 3.98!
            But that would be rubbish, because then you could not use many other useful new functions!

Comment

The IrfanView version I had was 3 or 4 years old and never updated it until this week. With that old version I never had this resizing limitation.

Comment

Hi Marcial,

Perhaps you are just mistaking the rarer JP2/JPEG2000 format for the popular JPG/JPEG format?

As far as I can tell, you have always had to register with LuraTech to use the JPEG2000 plugin for larger images. If you read your i_changes.txt file, you can see:

Version 3.60 (Release date: 30.11.2001)
                - Support for JPEG2000 format! Thanks to LuraTech! :-)
                (free saving up to 640x480 pixels)
                http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.html
                There have been some changes to the dialogs, but this seems to have always been true.

Version 3.60 Save Options

Version 3.60 Register dialog

Version 3.85 Save Options

Version 3.95 or possibly 3.92 Register dialog
                Click image for larger version

Name:	3.92-3.95.png
Views:	1
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	79802

Version 3.97 Save Options

Name:	3.97.png
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	79803

-----
                Attached Files

Comment

Sippybox, thanks for giving me that additional information.

I think the IrfanView version I downloaded this week is what I thought to be the latest: 4.25.

The JPEG format I always used is the regular or popular JPG/PPEG format. After I installed the latest version of IrfanView and tried to reduce the size of a picture, I got that message from LuraWave, and the picture in question is JPEG, 2288 x 1712, 843 KB, the same type and size of picture I always reduced with IrfanView.

So, if I understood you correctly, if I still want IrfanView to work the way it used to be should I uninstall it and reinstall version 3.60?

Comment

You just need to save in the popular JPG/JPEG format — not JP2 Lurawave format. If you're not seeing the JPG Options dialogue, then you picked the wrong file extension from the Save As.. dialogue.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.06.2009, 11:07 PM.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Marcial,

Yes, it appears you want JPG, not JP2. You must have selected JP2 by mistake in the format drop-down, since they are adjacent. You don't need 3.60 because you don't want JP2. Version 3.60 would not help anyway for large JP2 files. Correct?

See:

Name:	Format Mix-up.png
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	79808
                      Last edited by Skippybox; 24.06.2009, 11:37 PM.

Comment

OMG! You are absolutely correct, Bhikkhu Pesala and Skkipybox. I was inadvertently trying to save the reduced image in JP2 format! I changed the "Save as type" to JPG - JPG/JPEG format and this was the end of the problem.

Wow! Thanks a lot, guys. Thank to this forum too.

Comment

You mean I showed you all those lovely JP2 images for nothing?

Comment

Absolutely not, Skippybox; not only did you clarify the problem but also gave me another alternative to work with. I followed your images one by one and studied everything. Then I understood a lot from it and, somehow, it helped me understand the problem with the regular JPG as well. Now I can choose betwen the two alternatives. Thanks a million!
                            Last edited by Marcial; 25.06.2009, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I know, I was just kidding.

Comment

Working...
                              X