Can't convert CR2/MRW to JPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't convert CR2/MRW to JPG

I have tried both 4.20 and 4.25 and both fail on my Win XP setup.

I open Infranview then click Batch Conversion/Rename

Then add either CR2 (Canon 450D - 168#) or MRW (Minolta A2 - 6#) RAW files, opting to store the JPGs in "look in" directory, using "Batch Conversion" I press Start Batch and a dialog box opens and runs through all the files and finishes with a message:-

168 files - Errors: 168, Warnings:0 or 6 files - Errors: 6, Warnings:0

There are no JPGs in the output folder.

Can anyone please advise?

Solved.

I moved over to my Vista machine which has 4.23 and it converted 168 CR2 RAW files to JPGs at first attempt.

Don't know why my XP machine won't?

Comment

What is the description of the errors? Are they all load errors? If so, have you been able to load the same files directly in the viewer? If not, then the batch converter won't be able to either. Are you sure you have the plugins installed for 4.20 and 4.25, as you do for 4.23?

If you were to copy your 4.23 installation over to your XP machine, along with its correct i_view32.ini it should work the same.

Comment

I have now tried opening a *CR2 file in the viewer on my XP machine and get the error message:_

---------------------------
        IrfanView
        D:\Mass Data LIVE\General 2009\June Canon\2009_06_24\_MG_2922.CR2 : Decode error !

Can't load PlugIn: "FORMATS.DLL" !
        Please install or update PlugIns from IrfanView homepage!
        OK
        I have searched for FORMATS.DLL and cannot find it either!

I am not sure I understand:_

If you were to copy your 4.23 installation over to your XP machine, along with its correct i_view32.ini

I have run the "iview423_setup.exe" on this XP machine but get the same error.

So do you mean copy the files from C:\Program Files\Irfanview on my Vista machine and paste to C:\Program Files\ on my XP machine. How would that install Irfanview?

Comment

Have you done what the message says? It correctly states that you don't have the FORMATS.DLL plugin installed. Have you simply forgotten to install that plugin or any plugins for this computer? I would install the plugin or copy it from the Vista machine (since it sounds like you installed it on that one).

I am not sure I understand:_

If you were to copy your 4.23 installation over to your XP machine, along with its correct i_view32.ini

I have run the "iview423_setup.exe" on this XP machine but get the same error.

So do you mean copy the files from C:\Program Files\Irfanview on my Vista machine and paste to C:\Program Files\ on my XP machine. How would that install Irfanview?
          Running the setup again will not install the plugins. You need to use the irfanview_plugins_422_setup.exe or one of the ZIP equivalents. There was a special update to Formats.dll for 4.23, so you may want that. If you don't have these, then you could use the 4.23 version of Formats.dll that is provided in the 4.25 plugins ZIP.

IrfanView is portable, so you can copy it and move it elsewhere. That is why you can just unzip a version to your computer. The IrfanView installer isn't really that special, it just automates several things for you.

Yes, you can copy it from C:\Program Files\Irfanview on your Vista and paste it to C:\Program Files\Irfanview on your XP. You can also copy it elsewhere to even your Desktop. But, you need to locate the INI. You'll have to retrieve it from %Appdata% and put it in %Appdata%. Or, you can keep two IrfanView copies on the XP machine by taking the INI from the Vista machine and overwriting the INI in the IrfanView installation folder you copied to the XP.

Comment

I should add that you need to match your plugins to whatever version you have decided to have installed. Thus, 4.20 needs 4.20 plugins, 4.23 needs 4.22/4.23 plugins, and 4.25 needs 4.25 plugins.

How is it going? What have you decided to do?

Comment

"Have you simply forgotten to install that plugin or any plugins for this computer?"

Yes.

Now installed and all working.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
              X