Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setting up a wallpaper with 150 images - question of size

hello dear friends,

i am on the way to create a wallpaper. and for that i need to resize 150 images. The images go into a wallpaper -

simialar to this one: http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitter_prod...4012088/bg.jpg

technique: i collect them all with GIMP - put them into one big image - image per image will be moved into this frame with its own layer. After the collection is ready - i have 150 + 2 layers. I now can move some images to create an interesting image.

The mosaic will have somewhat 1500 x 1000 pixels: i think that is very convenient: That means that each image has got a size of 100 x 100 pixels.

the first step: i want to resize all collected images with irfanview. Is this possible. There fore i create a new image - with a certain size: a size of 100 x 100 pixels.

ctrl->N leads me to the setup: now i choose 100 x 100 pixels

well - to be frank - i am a bit confused. How should i size the single image that goes into the wallpaper. I have two screenshots that show the confusion....

see the screenshot. whats all that with the pixels .... how to understand the different values of size: if i create the image with 100 x 100 then i am pretty sure - this image has not 100 x 100
    but more... - what do you suggest..!?

this is aimed: a collcion of 150 images - note i have to take care for the size of the images

i need your advice
    thx in advance...

joo
    Attached Files
    Last edited by joo_driven; 03.07.2009, 08:38 AM. Reason: more infos

If you want your images to be square (100x100) without distortion, you will have to crop them first. Most images are rectangles, not squares. If you choose not to maintain the original proportions (uncheck "Preserve aspect ratio"), the images will end up square -- but they will be squashed one way or another and look awful.

Cropping can be done in a batch too, but not nicely. If you want to keep the best parts, you have to do each one separately.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

hello Matera

many thanks for the reply. i am glad that you answered me.

Originally posted by matera View Post
      If you want your images to be square (100x100) without distortion, you will have to crop them first. Most images are rectangles, not squares. If you choose not to maintain the original proportions (uncheck "Preserve aspect ratio"), the images will end up square -- but they will be squashed one way or another and look awful.

Cropping can be done in a batch too, but not nicely. If you want to keep the best parts, you have to do each one separately.
      well - i can learn alot from your answer. I am a Noob when it comes to Image-Manipulation.

I will look into the details and will answer more later [ have to go shopping now]

regards
      Joo

BTW: i agree to keep an eye on the ratio: squared images may look awful - so i will work on each image sepeartely... to keep the quality. Thx for your hints..They help me alot for the process of choosing images and working on them!
      Last edited by joo_driven; 04.07.2009, 10:40 AM. Reason: hello - many thanks

Comment

We all have to start sometime

Remeber that you can use the Custom Selection feature to put a perfectly square selection box on an image, and then hold Ctrl when dragging it to a larger or smaller size to keep it square.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Working...
        X