Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FastStone Alerting images (batch)

IV Beginner
    Version
    IrfanView 4.23
    OS
    Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

Well the thumb looks just like the image as I saw it in the camera, and it's what I was after when I took the shot. So yes that is what I want.

It seems that FastStone does not suit me.

If I compare a shot that I take RAW with the same shot in jpg (the camera stores both at once, if I ask) there is often better colour and detail on the RAW image. There is also a lot more noise and they need sharpening. but I can save to TIFF/BMP and lose nothing. So I do minor (if any) adjustments in RAW, then a tiff take to PSP for further processing.

I have tried Raw Therapee. but I think I may use the Canon software. You have to hope they know their own file structure. I was just comparing various programmes to find out.

Nick

Version
    IrfanView 4.25
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

You make a good case for bringing back the BMP format to cameras. For users that don't want JPG's lossy compression and don't really need a truly RAW image, it seems like an obvious choice. JPG may be quick to write and ready to publish, but it's not any good for editing, which is so likely to be done afterwards.

IV Beginner
    Version
    IrfanView 4.23
    OS
    Win XP Home SP2
    CPU Cores

Yeah...although if you can batch process RAW after a quick review to see if any need special attention, it's not too bad.

I also reckon that while jpg is not _as_ good for editing, it's not _no_ good. You can haul a fair bit out of them and get a really good result. If you run the same processes over the same shot, one jpg and one RAW->TIF (etc) then you can often see differences. But they can be overcome, and unless you see the two side by side, jpg is pretty good.

While am a terrible pixel-peeper, in the end I believe that the shot should carry itself regardless of medium. Same for music. This business of more and more technology does not make better music. In fact it seems to get worse, in many cases!

Thread Information