No announcement yet.

$30 to Save JPG 2000 Images!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please do not insert serials for the JP2 plugin - it's illegal. If you like that plugin you have to pay for it, otherwise use something else to save in jp2 (there are several free alternatives) or develop a free plugin for that.
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

I just ran into the same situation ( 01/01/2010).
      Now they want $ 90.....................!
      Glad I checked here

Drew

Comment

That's quite natural - JP2 is just above JPG, in the list of file formats under the Save option! I've been there too, but didn't get as far as actually clicking the Save button!

Lurawave's Plug-Ins are, I believe, the only IrfanView Plug-ins that aren't free. Agree with MItaly that it should be dropped altogether: we already have someone who thought Irfan was 'promoting' LuraWave!

I strongly believe that Hacks, Serial Numbers and other illegal stuff should be removed forthwith from this Forum and people posting them be barred.
        Last edited by WellOiledPC; 08.01.2010, 08:51 AM.
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

The plugin is free — to open and view JP2 files. For that alone it is worth having.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Right, and run into this?

Maybe I have a blind-spot with regard to the technical aspects of this, but just as an FYI, I offer the following

Originally posted by LinuxQuestions.org
            I observed there are two different descriptions returned for them from the file command for JPeg2000 files created by XnView.

file grut.jp2 returns

Code:
            JPEG-2000 Code Stream Bitmap data
            ...while file -i grut.jp2 gives back

Code:
            application/octet-stream; charset=binary
            <snip>

Again, to this point, I've only observed this with files saved as JPEG2000 in XnView. I'll probably come back to comment or edit this post when I've been able to see what other graphics apps' JP2s "look like" on the command line. If I don't, one can safely assume that JPEG2000s may be a problem, and should be double-checked by some means or method outside the scripts and commands we've been puzzling out in this thread.
            Do what you want, but my advice is not to pick XnView as a "free alternative" to save in JPEG2000. Which is too bad, since the author, Pierre, is presently hard at work on a build that will install and run on more platforms than just Windows.

BZT
            (Original forum thread is at http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...06#post3843206)
            Last edited by Silversleeves; 21.02.2010, 05:49 AM. Reason: Bad preposition handling corrected; more information offered
            There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Comment

The two different outputs for me are due to the fact that the -i switch makes file output a mime string, that should be compatible with most clients; since JPEG2000 isn't widely supported, it's passed simply as a generic octet stream.
              IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I now refer all interested parties here.

BZT
                There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Comment

Is the Luratech plug-in still used in the 4.27 version of the Irfanview plug-ins? I registered with Luratech in order to be able to save in JPEG2000. I don't want to lose the Luratech JPEG2000 plug-in by upgrading to version 4.27.

One benefit of JPEG2000 is lossless compression of 50% to 70%. It seems to be truly lossless: in contrast I have noticed some artefacts when I used what as supposed to be lossless PNG.

Comment

Yes — the Lurawave plugin is still used by 4.27 and still saves JPEG2000 up to 640 x 480 pixels for free. FastStone Viewer still saves images of any size for free, though I don't see a lossless option.

AFAIK it is impossible that saving as lossless PNG could introduce artefacts.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                      Yes — the Lurawave plugin is still used by 4.27 and still saves JPEG2000 up to 640 x 480 pixels for free. FastStone Viewer still saves images of any size for free, though I don't see a lossless option.

AFAIK it is impossible that saving as lossless PNG could introduce artefacts.
                      Thank you for the reply. I was surprised also but to my eye there were definitely artefacts in the lossless PNG test I did. I cannot post the result because it was a group photo and I don't have releases from the people in the photo.

Comment

PNG is a lossless compression algorithm, so it's impossible that it generated artifacts. Maybe the original image had artifacts (was it saved in JPEG?), and so they remained even in the PNG version. Keep in mind that saving in a different format won't remove the artifacts, because the original information, once the image is saved in a lossy format, is definitively lost.
                        IrfanPaint developer

Comment

There is one backdraw with JP2 over JPG. It takes more time to read (decompress) a JP2 file than a jpg file. Especially when using an image browser through a directory containing houndreds of images, the extra delay for jp2 pictures will be noticeable.

Also djvu files seems to compress images in a similar way as jp2, but there is not possible to easilly save an image as djvu.
                          If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

Working...
                          X