Bad TIFF image viewable by IrfanView

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad TIFF image viewable by IrfanView

I have a TIFF image that was not displayable by IrfanView 3.99. The message said to download a plugin. (not sure which one) I downloaded all of the latest plugins and the image is now viewable.

I'm trying to figure out what's in the image that isn't supported by Java. When I used iText to get the number of pages, I got this error, "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Bad endianness tag (not 0x4949 or 0x4d4d)."

When I switched to Java ImageIO, I got this error:

javax.imageio.IIOException: Couldn't seek!
    at com.sun.media.imageioimpl.plugins.tiff.TIFFImageRe ader.locateImage(TIFFImageReader.java:256)
    at com.sun.media.imageioimpl.plugins.tiff.TIFFImageRe ader.getNumImages(TIFFImageReader.java:279)

I changed the code and got this: "javax.imageio.IIOException: I/O error reading image metadata!"

Thanks,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Originally posted by sliss View Post
    I have a TIFF image that was not displayable by IrfanView 3.99. The message said to download a plugin. (not sure which one) I downloaded all of the latest plugins and the image is now viewable.
    1. Be careful: the latest plug-ins are for the latest version of IrfanView (currently 4.00). It's better to have matching versions.
    2. After http://www.irfanview.net/main_formats.htm or the Options / Properties / Extensions dialog box, no plug-in is required for IrfanView to display TIFF images (no asterisk besides the format).

All this make me think that your file might be another format than TIFF. Did IrfanView give a warning about an invalid extension?

I'm trying to figure out what's in the image that isn't supported by Java. (...)
    Neither the connexion between IrfanView and Java nor the code you are talking about are clear to me. I can't be helpful on these points.

Laurent
    Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Hi Laurent,

IrfanView complained that it needed a plugin.

Your comment that it might be another format turned out to be the answer. We tried renaming it to PDF and I was able to get a page count using iText as a PDF. (Earlier, iText failed when I tried to get the page count as a TIF.)

Thanks!

Stuart

Comment

Working...
      X