How to prevent wallpaper change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved How to prevent wallpaper change

Hello, I am getting a new image ready for a school lab and have locked it down pretty good but can't figure how to prevent irfanview from setting the wallpaper. I have stopped MSPAINT with group policy and I have also changed security settings by denying write access to the desktop for the user group on the user desktop and All Users desktop. This worked very well until the students found out that irfanview still changes the wall paper. Any way to prevent this?

Thanks,

Travis

You could deny write access by setting IrfanView_Wallpaper.bmp in %AppData%\IrfanView to read-only. Then you'll get a save error when trying to change it.

Comment

Solved

Thank you Skippybox that worked. Appreciate it.

Comment

Should the problem persist across other programs, then you might consider using an automated wallpaper changer - that way, you could have the wallpaper be reset every minute (or at startup or whenever you like).
        [OS is Server 2008]

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
          You could deny write access by setting IrfanView_Wallpaper.bmp in %AppData%\IrfanView to read-only. Then you'll get a save error when trying to change it.
          Could you be more specific. The thread is old and Win7 has access locked to %AppData%. I really hate when I accidentally change the wallpaper.
          TIA, Gary

It worked!!! Just paste %AppData%\IrfanView into Open box from the Run choice at the Start menu. Just like Skippybox wrote. YeeHaw, now IV is Gary-proof! I've haven't looked but this should be in the FAQ and Help.
          Many thanks.
          Last edited by gnach; 04.08.2011, 01:27 AM. Reason: tried the fix after the initial posting

Comment

Use the Ctrl + Shift + P shortcut to reset it to the previous wallpaper.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

If I could only remember the Ctrl + Shift + P. I would really like this "feature" to be changed to a less common keyboard shortcut since the Ctrl + Shift + C is a common non-Windows shortcut for "Save As". The work around from Skippybox seems to get overwritten when installing the version update.

Comment

Working...
              X