delete image while in slide show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

delete image while in slide show

Hi, is there a way to delete a image while in slide show?

i searched the web, searched the forum, and the answer seems no.

That is really the only functionality i need. Is there any way to script this with AutoHotKey or plugin or something?

One 2008 forum message said that i can pause, then Alt+something, then Alt+f... presume that it hold slide show and get me to the normal mode where i can use shortcut to delete, then resume slide show mode. However, doesn't seems to work for me.

What i just need is the abilitity to do slide show, random, of a folder with subfolders of about 5000 images, and the ability to delete the current image.

possibly, if anyone could perhaps suggest alternative viewers to me privately, that'd be greatly appreciated too. Thanks.

Xah

The hotkeys are listed in the Help file. Use the "Pause/break" key to pause and resume a slideshow. Delete (delete key) while paused, then resume the slideshow.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
      The hotkeys are listed in the Help file. Use the "Pause/break" key to pause and resume a slideshow. Delete (delete key) while paused, then resume the slideshow.
      Are you sure that works, Matera? AFAIK you cannot delete a file while in the slideshow even when paused.

Comment

I don't think that works either (at least I can't do it).

Slideshows are tricky things. Many commands are just not possible, which is why I would not use one. You can virtualize a slideshow by using SHIFT+A (View>Start/Stop automatic viewing) and starting in your mode of choice (full screen or window), to get a timed progression. If you need randomness, then you can sort the files by size (Options>Sort directory files). Otherwise, use CTRL+M (View>Random file in directory)

FastPictureViewer can delete files while automatically moving through a folder, too, but it doesn't do random either.

Comment

A bit messier, but you can instead break out of a normal slideshow by pressing Enter when you see an image you want to delete. Don't Pause the show though or Enter won't work.
          Should you be a bit slow off the mark you can wind back to where you want using the left arrow or backspace key or the left mouse button, before pressing Enter. That now works even for a random show.

Pressing Enter returns you to the Viewer. The slideshow current image is not displayed but you can delete it even so by pressing the Delete key. If you do want to view it first use File> Reopen (or Shift+R). After deleting the current image, the Viewer reverts to the folder that it was displaying before the slideshow was started, so go back to the slideshow dialog by pressing W and restart the show there. If you have checked Remember file index on exit then you can resume from where you left off. Not so important for a random show though.

I don't know what the Alt+F was for. You can use Alt+S to restart the slideshow from the dialog, if you want to do everything from the keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
            I don't think that works either (at least I can't do it).

Slideshows are tricky things. Many commands are just not possible, which is why I would not use one. You can virtualize a slideshow by using SHIFT+A (View>Start/Stop automatic viewing) and starting in your mode of choice (full screen or window), to get a timed progression. If you need randomness, then you can sort the files by size (Options>Sort directory files). Otherwise, use CTRL+M (View>Random file in directory)

this is a great method. However, is there a way to get it to pick files randomly in any subdir too? Because my 4000+ files are all in different subfolders. Each subfolder is at most few hundred files.

Comment

OK. Use either the Thumbnail window (T) or Search files... (CTRL+F). Both have a subfolder option. In Thumbs, its located in Options>Load thumbs from all subfolders.

The sorting will not be truly random, you can only use the sorting methods available to you (sorting by size can be kind of random).
              Last edited by Skippybox; 22.07.2009, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                A bit messier, but you can instead break out of a normal slideshow by pressing Enter when you see an image you want to delete. Don't Pause the show though or Enter won't work.
                Should you be a bit slow off the mark you can wind back to where you want using the left arrow or backspace key or the left mouse button, before pressing Enter. That now works even for a random show.

Pressing Enter returns you to the Viewer. The slideshow current image is not displayed but you can delete it even so by pressing the Delete key. If you do want to view it first use File> Reopen (or Shift+R). After deleting the current image, the Viewer reverts to the folder that it was displaying before the slideshow was started, so go back to the slideshow dialog by pressing W and restart the show there. If you have checked Remember file index on exit then you can resume from where you left off. Not so important for a random show though.
                thanks. Very interesting and probably best method so far.

i wish they'd just implement this...

the workaround is not perfect, as the keys to get out of mode, delete, resume slide show, are all a bit convoluted. When out of slide show mode and screen is black and pressing delete, it's a bit unsafe as one might fear deleting the wrong image.

i checked out picassa, xnview.... both doesn't have this feature... I came from Mac, and almost all Mac image viewers (GraphicsConverter etc) lets one do slide show and delete or move images as a way to sort/clean large image folders.

this gotta be possible on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
                  OK. Use either the Thumbnail window (T) or Search files... (CTRL+F). Both have a subfolder option. In Thumbs, its located in Options>Load thumbs from all subfolders.

The sorting will not be truly random, you can only use the sorting methods available to you (sorting by size can be kind of random).
                  Thanks! This is a working solution!

Comment

Hi there,

although the thread is a bit outdated already: IV is definitely the best free image manipulating program available, but for Slideshow features including random viewing of subfolders an on-the-fly-deletion, I'm using ACDSee, Version 2.41. The only problem is, you most probably can't buy a valid license anymore, if you want to avoid the nag screens....

Comment

Working...
                    X