Print Options - Page/Image Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Print Options - Page/Image Size

I am forever plagued by my printed images not matching up to the size of the original graphic that I've created.
    I will edit a photo, and size it to my needs. Or I'll create a graphic , perhaps custom labels , or CD/DVD insert, to give some examples.
    Regardless of the image app. I use, I am working with standard 8.5 X 11" pallette, to match printer papers, then cutting out final printed image.
    I like using IrfanView to open, then print my images. Problem is , even though
    IV's print dialog displays 8.5 X 11" as the paper size, the printed result always comes out smaller than what I've created.
    I've tried "Original Size" , "Best Fit" , and even custom settings, never finding a consistent result.
    Just before posting, an even more annoying glitch. Again, my graphic project is done using 8.5 X 11" canvas size , but now IrfanView is stuck on 8" X 10.5" in the "Resulting Image Size on Paper" !! ??? All margin settings are set to 0.00". This is nuts, as it has been reading correctly all the while, but just not printing to the size I desired, always slightly smaller.
    Help ??
    HP Pavillion a250e / Athlon 2G / 1G ram / ATI All-In-Wonder 9k Pro video-64 ram / 2 80G Internal Drives / External 250G USB Drive / 1 HP , 1 Pioneer DVD Drives

When you say the "Standard Palette" is 8.5" x 11" what do you mean? Images don't know anything about inches or cms, only pixels. If you set the new image to 850 x 1100 pixels @ 100 dpi then that should work (in theory). I wouldn't use an image viewer for any kind of technical drawing though.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Where I live, we talk inches, feet, lbs., etc. Not being crude here, but I hate the pixel stuff !! Sure I deal with it all the time, working with images, but I think , at least this part of my post , is clear. I'm using your basic home printer. I'm no expert, but enjoy working with photos and creating .......
      whatever , designs , labels for things. Doesn't matter, really.

Home basic printer uses "standard" 8.5" X 11" paper. Therefore, that is my
      working pallette. I take a photo, work it up, size it, using - NOT IrfanView, but a very nice photo application. I'm working with standard paper size in that photo app. What else? That's where my work ends up, to the printer, on that size paper. Same for all varieties of simple graphics that I work on.

PROBLEM : Now I open that finished photo or graphic, using IrfanView.
      Again, whether I use "Original Size from DPI" , or "Stretch to Fit Page", or
      "Custom" sizing............ the printed image always comes up short - OFTEN
      the printing ends, and there is still blank paper available.

Most of the time , the image is just smaller than what I created to begin with,
      based on - sorry - inches !! I care about resolution ,and get that, but as far as sizing with pixels ? I find nothing consistent to depend on.

EXAMPLE ; just opened an 8.5" X 11" project (image size ON that canvas/pallette , not the issue.) You mentioned 850 X 1100 pixels (?recall?)
      .... IrfanView tells me its' 3496 X 4438 pixel size , at standard paper size in inches.

Bottom line - I cant expect to print anything that's pushing the limits of paper size , other words - not exactly 8.5" horizontal , nor can it be 11" top to bottom, because it will be slightly downsized.
      PRINTER IS SET TO 8.5" X 11" paper size.
      HP Pavillion a250e / Athlon 2G / 1G ram / ATI All-In-Wonder 9k Pro video-64 ram / 2 80G Internal Drives / External 250G USB Drive / 1 HP , 1 Pioneer DVD Drives

Comment

Does your printer print right to the edge of the paper? If not then you can never print an 11in x 8.5in picture on 11in x 8.5in paper.

If I set to Print at original size or Stretch to page with zero sized margins then the picture will cover the maximum printable area. For US letter size (11in x 8.5in) that is 10.7in x 8.2in for my laser printer or 10.8in x 8.0in for my inkjet printer and those are the dimensions that Irfanview will display as Resulting image size on paper when I select one of those printers with that paper size.

If I set Fit to page one of those dimensions will usually be reduced to make the aspect ratio of the printed picture the same as that of the digital image itself. The aspect ratio of my images are usually 1.25 :1 For US letter size the ratio is 1.3 :1 so there is a small reduction of the longer side. For European paper sizes that have an aspect ratio of 1.414 :1 the reduction is more noticeable.

What you describe sounds to be quite normal to me.

Comment

Working...
        X