Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KADMOS OCR plugin

Hi folks,

The option 'Download other language' in the KADMOS OCR-plugin for IrfanView seems not to be working. Am I the only one? If not, is there another way to get the Netherlands or Belgium Classifier?

Thanks

Seems to working fine here. I just downloaded the Belgium language extension.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Well, thanks for your quick response, Bhikku. Never the less, it doesn't work on my system. The Belgium-one would be allright by me. The plugin tries to download allright, but it gets stuck

I searched on the internet looking for the language-packs but even on www.rerecognition.ch (homepage of KADMOS) I couldn't find them. At http://hunspell.sourceforge.net there was only the US-version to be download. I also emailed to KADMOS, but no answer (yet).

Maybe somebody knows where to download the right packages from?

Comment

Maybe it is a firewall problem?
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 25.07.2009, 04:33 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Haha, I knew I could count on you!!
          I don't think it is my firewall, I never undergo such problems.
          Thanks a lot for that zip file. It works quit allright.

In fact there's no improvement to encounter, but I'm satisfied now to know I did what I could to test this OCR-plugin (thanks to you).

The ttfbe.rec file (Belgium language) seems to have no Dictionary like the English US pack (hunspell.dll).

Comment

That must be handbe.rec I guess. Probably won't work properly without a dictionary. I deleted the other file already. Doesn't explain why you're not able to download them though. I had no trouble with the Nederlands files either.

Comment

In my ocr_kadmos folder are 4 zipfiles:
              ISpellDE.zip
              TTFBE.zip
              TTFEU.zip
              TTFNL.zip
              I suppose those has to be language packages, but I can't unzip them.
              Further there is ttfus.rec and ttfbe.rec and handbe.rec (the two latter are your's).

I can't load the handbe.rec into the classifiers of the OCR plugin, so I think your first one (ttfbe.rec) has to be the right one in the first place. Ttfus.rec works better then ttfbe.rec on my text-JPG.

Comment

It isn't working for me either. The download takes its time, but when it is through the respective files are not in the required folder, nor anywhere else on my computer. I tried German, Italian and British English: no luck.

Besides, the integrated auto-crop seems to have a problem, especially with the right hand border.

Otherwise the recognition is good.

(WinXP SP2, all admin rights)

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

The download/install of another language worked very well for me. I okayed it with my firewall quickly enough that it didn't time out the first time, it downloaded a big file, decompressed it, and all is fine. I have complete read/write permission where IrfanView is installed, which makes many things easier for me.

This is a great plugin, I've used it fairly often already. I can screenshot-extract a short quotation from a protected e-book when I need to without jumping through so many hoops.
                  Its: Belongs to "It"
                  It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                  ---------------------
                  Lose: Fail to keep
                  Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                  Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

The problem seems to lie with the KADMOS server. When I download with a broadband connection, everything is fine. However, when I download with modem connection (with which a get stable downloads of the same size from other sites) the download is interrupted again and again. I did direct downloads from the source directory with Opera and had to click on "resume transfer" approximately 10 times for a single file like ttfde.zip.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I downloaded and installed the German version of the KADMOS plugin too. The interface keeps English, but now I could use the German language package. I still couldn't download my own language (Netherlands), even with my (windows)firewall off. I didn't disconnect the router between my modem and my PC. I have tested Belgium and German, but both are less accurate. So I'll keep using the English US package, even on Dutch text.

KADMOS keeps making the same converting mistakes though an o becomes a 0 (zero) and an l becomes a 1. So that's easy to 'Search and replace'. Considering this is a free OCR program, I'm fairly satisfied.

Edit: those mistakes were my own fault. I deleted the KADMOS configure file (KadmosIrfan.cfg) and checked just the English US version. At default the program is rather accurate, also on dutch text!
                      Last edited by Sjef; 31.07.2009, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                        Hi folks,

The option 'Download other language' in the KADMOS OCR-plugin for IrfanView seems not to be working. Am I the only one? If not, is there another way to get the Netherlands or Belgium Classifier?

Thanks
                        no you are not the only one. i verified with two different computers and your post that the problem is with the Kadmos server. but i found a workaround:

when you click their link to download IE, anyway, gives you a dialog box wherein you have three options (Run, Save, Cancel) instead of opting to Save the file, chose Run instead. then the server will not interrrupt the transfer and you will be able to install the plugin successfully.

Comment

Hi regan,

Thanks for a great tip! In the mean time a friend of mine also downloaded the 'Netherlands' Classifier and didn't have any problem. I couldn't recall why at the time, but he talked about 'installing' rather than 'downloading'. Thanks to you I now know the cause of all the troubles.

I've got the 'Netherlands' from my friend and tried it out. As I wrote before, I only use the English US version (most accurate).

Comment

Hi all,

I just installed IrfanView 4.25 and its plug-ins, including Kadmos OCR, on a test machine. Though I had trouble with Kadmos OCR plug-in installation.

At first I wondered if the problem was with NTFS permissions, so I eventually logged in as Administrator to continue.

I had to download the "France" Classifier several times before it was installed correctly. At first, the downloaded Classifier was not listed in the Language drop list, although download seemed to be successful. That was because all previous downloads failed (interruption).

You need at least to see three files in the C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\ocr_kadmos directory:
                            - ispell??.hash
                            - hand??.rec
                            - ttf??.rec
                            where the "??" are two letters for the language (us for English-US, fr for French...)

It seems zip files are downloaded and then automatically decompressed and then deleted. If a zip file remains in the directory, then the download was not completed successfully.

What is misleading is to have to select a country instead of a language. For French I selected France, as it seems logical. But what language is Belgium for? Dutch, French, or both? Both are widely spoken here in Belgium. And for what language is Europe?

But the final word is that Kadmos OCR plug-in is a fantastic tool and works well.

Laurent
                            Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Dead Link

The link for the Kadmos OCR PlugIn (http://rerecognition-download.ch/irf...s44/KADMOS.htm) is dead (404 Not Found).

Nor is it available through Google cache or the Internet Archive.

Apparently it worked at one time, since no one here mentioned it as being inaccessible, but I have no idea when it went dead.

It is possible to step back to http://rerecognition-download.ch/irfan/kadmos44/ , where one will find various *.rec files in verious country configurations, but no instructions on what to do with them.

Anyone in the know here? What happened to KADMOS.htm?

Comment

Working...
                              X