Unable to Load Plugin DLL's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to Load Plugin DLL's

I want to use the extended version of the RIOT plugin and downloaded the latest set from the developers site. According to the instructions all I need to do is copy the RIOT.DLL and FREEIMAGE.DLL into the IRfanView Plugin Directory. Didn't work for me. Thought they might need registering but No. Please Advise...

To install the extended version of the RIOT plugin in IrfanView you need to follow these simple steps:

1) make a backup copy of Plugins\Riot.dll (this is the lite version. If you decide to switch back to this version for some reason you will need this file)

2) copy/overwrite Riot.dll from this release in the Plugins folder

3) copy FreeImage.dll in the IrfanView folder (that's where the IrfanView executable is)
    Or you can copy FreeImage.dll somewhere in the system path (Like C:\windows or c:\windows\system)
    ----------

Comment

That is What I Did - It didn't work

After renaming the Plugins/Riot.dll to Plugins/Riot_back.dll and then Copying the Riot.dll and freeimage.dll into the Plugins directory, I open an Image, select save IrfanView will not load the FREEImage.dll "This Application has failed to start because FREEImage.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Then I get another dialog box stating "Can't load PlugIn: "RIOT.DLL" ! Please install or update PlugIns from IrfanView homepage!" The Plugin set that I am using is those distributed in the irfanview_plugins_425_setup.exe executable.

Comment

Ooops - I did not copy FREEIMAGE.DLL correctly

After re-reading your post I located my problem, I was putting FREEIMAGE.DLL in the plugin directory. It should have been in the EXE directory. Now I get a new problem "Read Error in ComDlg32.dll" any further advise??

Comment

Yes, that is what I was trying to emphasize.

A similar error was reported here. Maybe it is related? You can ask the developer Lucian Sabo, but he'll most likely respond to your post here in a few days when he spots it.

Comment

Isn't is possible that you now have two riot plugins fighting with each other? Renaming one "Riot.dll" and the other "Riot_back.dll" isn't hiding one of the dll's. You're going to have to change the extension on one, ie, "riot.bak". After all, anything with an ending of ".dll" is going to get seen by iview, if it's located in the plugin directory.

Comment

No, I don't think so. IrfanView doesn't really care what's in the directory, it only utilizes DLLs that it knows the exact name of. Try renaming it Riot2.dll, and you'll get an error when you go to use it.

Comment

Comdlg32 Error

Yes, the "similar error was reported here..." is what I am seeing as well. I did completely remove the old RIOT.Dll from my hard drive and it did not change the situation.

Comment

Similar error here as well:

Comment

Window 7 RC

This operation works OK under Windows 7 RC.

Comment

Working...
                    X