Standardizing window size for image viewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standardizing window size for image viewing

How can I make the window for viewing images in non-full screen mode, come up the same size and stay the same place I dragged it to on my screen, instead of changing to match the size of the image and jumping all over the screen every time I open a new image or click the arrow for next or previous? The help utility advises to click a setting that doesn't exist in the options - "don't fit anything" (or similar). I'm not a photographer or techie. All I want is a simple image viewer. I think Ifranview has too many options, way too complicated.

View menu, Display Options, Do not fit anything.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks very much.

Comment

You may also prefer:

View menu, Display Options, Fit only big images to window
        View menu, Display Options, Fit images to window

which don't change the window's position or size, only the image's size.

Exception: All modes in Display Options are still affected by Options>Properties/Settings>Viewing>Window options which can change a window's size/position.
        Last edited by Skippybox; 20.08.2009, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
          You may also prefer:

View menu, Display Options, Fit only big images to window
          View menu, Display Options, Fit images to window

which don't change the window's position or size, only the image's size.

Exception: All modes in Display Options are still affected by Options>Properties/Settings>Viewing>Window options which can change a window's size/position.
          Hi, thanks very much for your advice. I did have it set on fit images to window. I just tried that again, and checked that there was nothing checked in Window options, but the size of the window itself still still changes. I tried don't fit anything, and the window size remains constant, but then you can only see part of the large images. I'm trying to get it so the size of the actual window stays constant, but the pictures are just shown either largest size that will fit in the window, shrunk so that they will show the whole image in the window, or else their original size if it's smaller than the window. The way Windows Image Viewer and Image Gallery work? I downloaded IrfranView bcz those programs are not working right on new computer with Vista.

Comment

Hi, tried don't fit anything, and the window size remains constant, but then you can only see part of the large images. Was trying to get it so the size of the actual window stays constant, but the pictures are just shown either largest size that will fit in the window, shrunk so that they will show the whole image in the window, or else their original size if it's smaller than the window. The way Windows Image Viewer and Image Gallery work? Thanks very much for your advice!

Comment

Originally posted by newbluebird View Post
              I'm trying to get it so the size of the actual window stays constant, but the pictures are just shown either largest size that will fit in the window, shrunk so that they will show the whole image in the window, or else their original size if it's smaller than the window.
              OK, you'll want Fit only big images to window.

To make the window start and remain the size you create, in the location you place it, enable Options>Properties/Settings>Viewing>Window options>Remember the last window size/position. By doing this, IrfanView will not discard your setting or use the default upon restart. Keep in mind though, that your window must not be smaller than what IrfanView deems an acceptable size (according to your tool layout and its own arbitrary presets) and it should not fall off screen.

Comment

Okaay! That's what I needed. Thanks very very much. I try to study all these settings and get what I'm trying to do before I ask for technical help, but seems like every program has way too many options and settings for what I need, then there is not enough free time to to become proficient in all of them. But thank you again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by newbluebird View Post
                  Okaay! That's what I needed. Thanks very very much. I try to study all these settings and get what I'm trying to do before I ask for technical help, but seems like every program has way too many options and settings for what I need, then there is not enough free time to to become proficient in all of them. But thank you again for your help.
                  To steal a line from Spiderman, "With great flexibility comes great confusion"

Couldn't resist the wisecrack, no offense meant to anyone!
                  Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
                  IrfanView Website - Here
                  Sam_Zen's Website - Here
                  Author's Website - Here

Comment

Thanks for this even though the thread is over a decade old.

I think a recent (2020) update accidentally unchecked the "remember window size" ...I searched (extensively) several times, but never spotted this checkbox. It turned out to be a _major_ pain.

Thanks again,
                    Beverly Howard

Comment

Yes, everyone asks for more features and options, but forget that it makes the program harder to use and support.

A Word for the Over-eager

It is OK if you use the program every day, or used it since ages, but new users often get lost in the plethora of options.
                      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I literally use IrfanView every day, in most cases multiple times each day and have used it constantly ever since it was initially released decades ago.

In fact, IrfanView is the primary reason that I still use windows ;-)

The main reason that I noted the "remember window size..." is that I am sure that it got toggled during a recent update as I have not been in settings for over a year on this machine.

With that in mind, I'm guessing that it might have hit other long time users. Since the updates are manually installed by users, it's also possible that the update that triggered this may not have had the same glitch in subsequent versions.

Thanks for the response, and thanks again Irfan!

Beverly Howard

Comment

Working...
                        X