Browsing search results in windows7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Browsing search results in windows7

In windows 7 you have the possibility to search for pictures based on tags as a somewhat transparent function in the OS (which is something I like alot). What I don't like is using Windows Photo Viewer to browse the results. However, Irfanview uses the directory of the search result I open instead.

So the feature I would like to request is an option to control this behavior, either to browse the directory of the search result or browse the search results themselves.

In my opinion it is too early to be making feature requests for Windows 7. The OS is not even released yet, and IrfanView was not developed to run on Windows 7. When we get a Windows 7 compatible version, that might be the time to make such requests.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Point taken, I will try to be patient then. =)

I just really wanted it to work with my favorite picture viewer.

Comment

Actually, I think this is not a new feature of Windows at all. The tagging is new perhaps, but:

The feature I am referring to is having the image viewer treat the search results as a "virtual folder" across which the imageviewer can traverse the search results via next/previous buttons (or hotkeys.)

I have just verified the behavior is present on XP SP2 by unassociating IrfanView with JPGs, which restored "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" as the default JPG handler. I then searched for JPGs across multiple folders with Windows Explorer Search.

I double clicked one of the JPGs in the search results, and up pops a Windows Picture and Fax Viewer window. Its "previous" and "next" buttons transitioned between each JPG in the search results, even though the images spanned multiple different directories.

However, if you go to see which process is hosting the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" window, you see it is in fact an explorer.exe process hosting the image viewer. So I think you would need to actually embed your image viewer IN explorer.exe to be able to query enough information about the search results to build the "virtual folder" across which the next/previous buttons would operate.

This seems like a tall order indeed. However, perhaps there is a higher level API into the search results that I don't know about, which would obviate the need for in-process hosting of the image viewer inside explorer.exe.

Comment

IrfanView can browse files across directories, it's just not always that simple to do. You can do a Search (CTRL+F) in IrfanView which is easy or you can try to import the results from somewhere else.

If you select the results in Windows you can try to drag them into the Slideshow dialog (W key) input box. From there, you can run a slideshow of the files, or if you need more control, make a file list out of them. With the file list you can load the names of the files in the list and browse them normally. You can do that via the command line or Thumbnails. If you have another program that makes txt files, you can use that too to create the file paths in the same way.

Another way to import the files is to drag the files as shortcuts to a folder and browse that folder in IrfanView. You would need to set up IrfanView to browe LNK files first.

Don't forget that you can always filter your files with patterns using the Directory Index Field, the command line, or temporarily removing files from Thumbnails.

Comment

Great tips, Skippybox. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X