Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Google Earth not starting from geotagged Image

Hi

I am running IV / Google Earth on 2 PCs, both with Win XP Pro SP3, IV 4.25, Google Earth Plus 5.0.11733.9347.

On one system (the notebook), Google Earth starts and shows the exact location when pressing the "Show in Google Earth" button on an image with GPS information included.
    On the other system (the desktop), nothing happens at all when pressing the same button on the same image. It does not matter whether I start Google Earth before pressing the button or not.

Does anybody have an idea on what the problem might be?

Thanks for your help
    Beat Gossweiler
    Switzerland

Originally posted by Gossi View Post
    Hi

I am running IV / Google Earth on 2 PCs, both with Win XP Pro SP3, IV 4.25, Google Earth Plus 5.0.11733.9347.

On one system (the notebook), Google Earth starts and shows the exact location when pressing the "Show in Google Earth" button on an image with GPS information included.
    On the other system (the desktop), nothing happens at all when pressing the same button on the same image. It does not matter whether I start Google Earth before pressing the button or not.

Does anybody have an idea on what the problem might be?

Thanks for your help
    Beat Gossweiler
    Switzerland
    Welcome to the Forum!

I don't know what the solution could be, but someone else in here may have. I read that you paste the SAME image into your Laptop and Desktop, but that while Google Earth shows what it is expected to on your Laptop, nothing happens on your Desktop...

Does the problem happen when you use other image viewers? If Yes, it has something to do with your Windows installation, in all probability. If No, maybe someone else in here has the answer. You may want to post the link/ image in here, so that the solution can be found...

I have noticed that you need to copy your image BEFORE starting IrfanView, to be able to paste into IrfanView. If you start IrfanView before copying your image to the clipboard, there is nothing in the clipboard to paste into IrfanView! This isn't a bug in IrfanView - just an interesting quirk that forces you to be careful, when working with IrfanView!
    Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
    IrfanView Website - Here
    Sam_Zen's Website - Here
    Author's Website - Here

Comment

Originally posted by WellOiledPC View Post
      Welcome to the Forum!

I don't know what the solution could be, but someone else in here may have. I read that you paste the SAME image into your Laptop and Desktop, but that while Google Earth shows what it is expected to on your Laptop, nothing happens on your Desktop...

Does the problem happen when you use other image viewers? If Yes, it has something to do with your Windows installation, in all probability. If No, maybe someone else in here has the answer. You may want to post the link/ image in here, so that the solution can be found...

I have noticed that you need to copy your image BEFORE starting IrfanView, to be able to paste into IrfanView. If you start IrfanView before copying your image to the clipboard, there is nothing in the clipboard to paste into IrfanView! This isn't a bug in IrfanView - just an interesting quirk that forces you to be careful, when working with IrfanView!
      @WellOiledPC:

It is not a question of copy/paste, I am opening the image regularely with irfanview from the same directory on both PCs. And I see the GPS location in the EXIF data, but Google Earth just won't start when I press the button on one machine.

I do not have any other image viewer that interfaces with Google Earth, just with Google Maps, which works well on both. Do you know any other viewer interfacing with Google Earth?

Beat Gossweiler
      Switzerland

Comment

@WellOiledPC:

It is not a question of copy/paste, I am opening the image regularely with irfanview from the same directory on both PCs. And I see the GPS location in the EXIF data, but Google Earth just won't start when I press the button on one machine.

I do not have any other image viewer that interfaces with Google Earth, just with Google Maps, which works well on both. Do you know any other viewer interfacing with Google Earth?

Beat Gossweiler
        Switzerland
        I am truly sorry Beat, for I am not proficient with GIS and Google Earth. I have never used these!

However, the other Image Viewers I know of are ACDSee and FastStone...

Perhaps someone else can help out... Best of Luck!
        Download IrfanView Help Manual from:
        IrfanView Website - Here
        Sam_Zen's Website - Here
        Author's Website - Here

Comment

@WellOiledPC:

Beat Gossweiler
          Switzerland
          The video tutorial on geotagging found under the Help menu in my (rather older) copy of Google Earth is all about using Picasa, so presumably that program is compatible.
          I just tried the Open with Google Earth feature in IV and it worked fine. The images were some that I had originally tagged from Google Maps using Wildbit Viewer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            The video tutorial on geotagging found under the Help menu in my (rather older) copy of Google Earth is all about using Picasa, so presumably that program is compatible.
            I just tried the Open with Google Earth feature in IV and it worked fine. The images were some that I had originally tagged from Google Maps using Wildbit Viewer.
            I just installed Picasa on the system where IV would not launch Google Earth, and the interface between Picasa and Google Earth works perfectly. But from within IV, Google Earth does not start. I still have no clue what the problem might be :-(

I also tried to re-register the Google Earth COM interface ("C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\googleearth.exe" /RegServer), but this did not help either.

Beat Gossweiler
            Switzerland

Comment

I do not know how IrfanView launches Google Earth but it might be worth checking that you have .kml files associated with Google Earth on the computer where it is not working.

Comment

Google Earth not starting from IV - solved

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                I do not know how IrfanView launches Google Earth but it might be worth checking that you have .kml files associated with Google Earth on the computer where it is not working.
                Mij,

Thank you very much for your hint !!!!

I checked the .kml and .kmz associations. "Open with" was associated with Google Earth for both, but for some reason it also said "Files with extension 'KML' are of type 'Paint Shop Pro 7 Image' ...". No idea, how this happened, but pressing "Restore" solved the problem.

Google Earth is now starting nicely from within IV. THANKS!!

Beat Gossweiler
                Switzerland

P.S: I'm not sure whether the English translation of the XP wording above is accurate, since I don't have an English XP available.
                Last edited by Gossi; 24.08.2009, 04:05 PM. Reason: "Restore" instead of "Reset"

Comment

Working...
                X