Rename dialog oddness in Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rename dialog oddness in Vista

I've been using IV in Vista for nearly a month now with no problems. Last night I was going through a lot of scanned images (IV works great with my new scanner too) and wanted to rename a few. What a surprise, this is the first time I've used that feature since the change of computers.

As you can see, the window contents are badly truncated. I know which button to click and it is clickable, but it would be heck if I was a newb.

I imagine it is the combination of resolution and font settings that I'm using in my main working profile. I will try to remember to have all my other personalities test it. The rest of me are administrators and "we" all have slightly different settings.
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Aha. It was the DPI, a global setting. Normal (96) is OK. Higher is a problem. This is still not good, us visually challenged folks need all the help we can get. But I can get by with only basic font size changes. I think there are a lot of programs that stumble over this. User Interfaces tend to be inflexible, like web pages that use absolute size and position attributes. Make needed changes to accomodate old eyes, and biff! the font is readable but there's nothing to read. Programmers all have perfect eyesight
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I know how you feel.

Interface Font Sizes

The attachment is a screen shot of the HowTo help studio tab in PagePlus X3. This is 8 point Verdana for important help documentation on how to use the tools and other features of the program. It is a condensed, interactive version of help that is very useful (if you can read it). Not essential for me as I know the program inside out and backwards, but for a new user it is almost indispensable.

Since I'm not a computer novice, I found the style sheets, and increased the point sizes. Body text is now 12 point and quite OK for me to read. I could manage with 10 point — just — but why should anyone have to struggle, especially as it is such a simple thing to fix. It takes ten minutes in Notepad, then you have to enlarge the studio panel a bit by dragging it, and save the workspace layout.

Will they fix this? Not unless someone hits them with a clue bat or bribes them. The design wouldn't fit on a 1024 x 600 Netbook. A button to change style sheets wouldn't be too hard for the programmers to manage would it?
      Attached Files
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

The same problem with Toolbar Icon Sizes. We're still limited to 16x16 pixels on our modern high resolution monitors.

In IrfanView I use the 32 pixel icons with only eleven of the nineteen possible tools displayed.

In Opera I also use 32 pixel icons and hide the tools that I rarely use, but in a more complex program like PagePlus I would make do with 24 pixel icons.

Again, a beginner might appreciate a choice of even larger icons while learning what the various buttons do. On a 1920 x 1080 wide screen display, I suspect that 32 pixel icons would not cause problems. You can arrange the toolbars pretty much how you like and remove any tools that you don't use.

I guess it is just too much work for a single programmer like Irfan to test and fix all these issues. There are lots of potential problems with large fonts on crowded dialogues.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X