This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Implemented A removed 3D border, or a way to remove it

20211118: Due to lack of demand, a removal of the border/edge will not be implemented into IrfanView.

However, Irfan Skiljan graciously created a 64-Bit test version when I contacted him, and has allowed me to upload it to this thread.

Before you download it, note that:
    - It was not intended to be distributed
    - It has not been extensively tested
    - It is (if I understood him correctly) based on a post-4.58-test-version (which only special users should use)

So there might be bugs etc.

If you still want to use it then:
    Make sure your installation is the 64-Bit version 4.58 and that you create a backup of the original i_view64.exe.
    Then download iview64_illya.zip (attached to this post), unzip it, and replace the i_view64.exe in your installation folder.

i_view64.exe (with removed border/edge)
    MD5: D23EC939D4A25DBAD2F2CF8ADE8DAA0A
    SHA-1: A32CD0B792B5E26076501CBF63F7BA0E534F1B83

The original post:

Hi everyone, I am wondering if you could remove the 3D-border from the next release of irfanview.

To show you which 3d-border I mean:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3Dborder_vs_no3Dborder_(DefaultSettings).png Views:	2 Size:	32.2 KB ID:	85344
    (The one on the left above is with the 3d-border around the picture, and the one to the right below is without it).

This leaves more space for the image and makes it look less "strange" when you use a different windows-skin.

Hopefully it is a simple thing to remove.

Edit 2020: Replaced the image above, since the image-host removed it. One more illustrative image is posted below in my 17.09.2020 post.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by illya_; 18.11.2021, 12:35 PM.

Sorry about this shameless bump I just wanted to request this feature again (And I didnt want to clutter the forum with another post).

I started using windows 7 since last post and with the transparent theme it is really visible.

Comment

Shameless bump 4 years later.

Still wondering if it would be possible to remove the 3d-border effect around the image being shown.

irfanview is such a nice player, but I still cringe every time I see that 3d-effect.

Comment

Adding my support for this request.

Comment

Since another 3 years have gone by, I bump once more and hold my fingers crossed

Irfanview is, and have been for years, the perfect image viewer for me.

The only thing I dislike is that 3d-border.

Comment

This looks like a Windows thing to me. Notepad has a similar border to IrfanView.

Look in your Windows Themes to change this.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              This looks like a Windows thing to me. Notepad has a similar border to IrfanView.

Look in your Windows Themes to change this.
              I would happily be wrong, but I have a lot of experience trying to change visual things in windows, and I don't believe it is related to the windows theme or any windows settings.

I have tried irfanview on:
              Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10. All with default and custom visual themes.
              I have changed every setting I could find in windows, and tried quite a few things in regedit without any luck.

However:
              I managed to remove the 3d border by hex-editing irfanview. (This is the main reason I am pretty sure that it is irfanview code (or compilation tools?) that creates the 3d-border).

While I was able to remove the 3d-border this way, irfanview still resizes the window like the 3d-border is there. So instead of the 3d-border it shows the "Main window color" (that you select in irfanview->properties->viewing)

- To the left you see the original irfanview
              - In the middle I have modified the irfanview exe file to remove the 3d border (so it shows the "Main window color" instead)
              - And to the right I have dragged the borders a little bit to try to remove the space showing the "Main window color".

I hope I am not offending anyone by having modified the exe without permission, I only did it to try to solve this issue with the 3d border.

Edit: it seems it resized the image, try this link for full size image:

Edit2: Also, Notepad in windows 10 doesn't have such a border (at least not with the default skin).
              Last edited by illya_; 04.07.2017, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Sorry for necroing this old thread but does anyone have an idea about what hex values the above poster altered? I've opened it up with a hex editor and can't figure out which border/frame section I need to alter.

Comment

With 3+ years gone by, I'll humbly bump this feature request again.

Example 1:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	3Dborder_vs_no3Dborder_(DefaultSettings).png
Views:	2
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	83520
                  Above: irfanview (latest version: v4.54 32bit) with default settings and showing the irfanview.com logo.
                  Underneath: same as above, however the 3D-border have been hex-edited out of irfanview.
                  (In the 3D-borders place you see more of the "Main window color", which can be changed in Settings->Viewing)

Example 2:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	3Dborder_vs_no3Dborder_(MinimalistWhiteBG).png
Views:	1
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	83521
                  Left: irfanview (latest version: v4.54 32bit) showing the irfanview.com logo (With the following settings: Status-, Tool- and Menu-bar hidden. "Main window color" set to white.).
                  Right: same as left, however the 3D-border have been hex-edited out of irfanview.

The 2nd example shows how clear the 3D-border is to anyone who tries to make irfanview as minimalistic as possible. And having a few more pixels of real estate for the images shown in irfanview would also be nice

While editing the application post-release is possible (as shown above) the images shown in irfanview will not take advantage of those extra pixels, which will leave a 'gap'. And I still have not found a way to achieve these alterations on the 64bit version.

Comment

Adding my support to this request - it does look a lot neater and the extra precision in the editing process would be nice!

Comment

Maybe this will be of some use when trying to remove the Border/Edge from irfanview:

Notepad++ (Open Source text editor) added an option to remove the Border/Edge in v6.8.8.
                      So maybe by comparing the source code before and after the change could give some ideas how to remove it in irfanview.

v6.8.7, Last version (that is still available on their official site) before they implemented this option: Installer and Source Code.
                      v6.9, Earliest version (that is still available on their official site) after they implemented this option: Installer and Source Code.

Here is the visual difference between the versions,
                      (Top is v6.9 with "No edge" activated. - - Middle is v6.9 with "No edge" deactivated. - - Bottom is v6.8.7 which doesnt have this option, so the edge is still there.):
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Border-Edge_PossibleToRemove.png Views:	0 Size:	345.2 KB ID:	93145

I searched both versions of the source code for the word "edge". v6.9 returned 88 instances and v6.8.7 returned 69 instances, as shown below.

v6.8.7:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	EDGE in SourceCode - 6.8.7.png Views:	0 Size:	227.2 KB ID:	93146

v6.9:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	EDGE in SourceCode - 6.9.png Views:	0 Size:	273.3 KB ID:	93147

Not sure if this is useful in any way, but I hope it is.

Removing the border would really help the application blend in with the others in Windows 10.

Edit: Some of the code in v6.8.7 might be there in preparation for including this option in a future release.
                      Seeing how there is an empty space left for it in the preferences, which later is used for said option, I guess that was the case.
                      So maybe one needs to compare to even earlier versions to do a proper Before/After comparison.

Again, sorry for bringing this up for over 12 years, but I love irfanview and this is the only thing I dislike with it.
                      Last edited by illya_; 16.11.2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Has anyone emailed Irfan Skiljan yet to ask him about this?
                        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Has anyone emailed Irfan Skiljan yet to ask him about this?
                          I have not, I just assumed one posted features request here and shouldn't bother him over email. But I assume you know the proper procedure better than me.
                          Last edited by illya_; 16.11.2021, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Read the Sticky Thread

Comment

Thank you. I have just sent an email to Skiljan (irfanview @ gmx. net) and I will post here if/when I get a reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X