Thread: A removed 3D border, or a way to remove it

IV Amateur

Default A removed 3D border, or a way to remove it

Hi everyone, I am wondering if you could remove the 3D-border from the next release of irfanview.

To show you which 3d-border I mean:

(The one on the left is with the 3d-border around the picture, and the one to the right is without it).

This leaves more space for the image and makes it look less "strange" when you use a different windows-skin.

Hopefully it is a simple thing to remove.
    Last edited by illya_; 12.10.2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Removed unneccery text

IV Amateur

Sorry about this shameless bump I just wanted to request this feature again (And I didnt want to clutter the forum with another post).

I started using windows 7 since last post and with the transparent theme it is really visible.

IV Amateur

Shameless bump 4 years later.

Still wondering if it would be possible to remove the 3d-border effect around the image being shown.

irfanview is such a nice player, but I still cringe every time I see that 3d-effect.

Adding my support for this request.

IV Amateur

Since another 3 years have gone by, I bump once more and hold my fingers crossed

Irfanview is, and have been for years, the perfect image viewer for me.

The only thing I dislike is that 3d-border.

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

This looks like a Windows thing to me. Notepad has a similar border to IrfanView.

Look in your Windows Themes to change this.

IV Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
    This looks like a Windows thing to me. Notepad has a similar border to IrfanView.

Look in your Windows Themes to change this.
    I would happily be wrong, but I have a lot of experience trying to change visual things in windows, and I don't believe it is related to the windows theme or any windows settings.

I have tried irfanview on:
    Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10. All with default and custom visual themes.
    I have changed every setting I could find in windows, and tried quite a few things in regedit without any luck.

However:
    I managed to remove the 3d border by hex-editing irfanview. (This is the main reason I am pretty sure that it is irfanview code (or compilation tools?) that creates the 3d-border).

While I was able to remove the 3d-border this way, irfanview still resizes the window like the 3d-border is there. So instead of the 3d-border it shows the "Main window color" (that you select in irfanview->properties->viewing)

- To the left you see the original irfanview
    - In the middle I have modified the irfanview exe file to remove the 3d border (so it shows the "Main window color" instead)
    - And to the right I have dragged the borders a little bit to try to remove the space showing the "Main window color".

I hope I am not offending anyone by having modified the exe without permission, I only did it to try to solve this issue with the 3d border.

Edit: it seems it resized the image, try this link for full size image:
    https://ibb.co/cAB92v

Edit2: Also, Notepad in windows 10 doesn't have such a border (at least not with the default skin).
    Last edited by illya_; 04.07.2017 at 02:57 AM.

Sorry for necroing this old thread but does anyone have an idea about what hex values the above poster altered? I've opened it up with a hex editor and can't figure out which border/frame section I need to alter.

Thread Information