gps coordinates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gps coordinates

there are probarbly not many people using this GPS tagging art, but I am, and it seems to not work (fully)?

I have a picture. It has

Code:
    GPS information: - 
    GPSAltitudeRef - Sea level
    GPSAltitude - 7 m
    GPSLongitudeRef - W
    GPSLongitude - 81  17  55.00
    GPSLatitudeRef - N
    GPSLatitude - 31  56  57.00
    in the EXIF data. When I select "show in google Earth", the location is placed on the spot: W81 17 55.00, N31 56 57.00. Now, when I click on "show in geohack wiki" I get forwarded to

Code:
    http://stable.toolserver.org/geohack/geohack.php?language=en&params=31_56_0_N_81_17_0_W
    (N31 56 0 & W81 17 0). In my book that is COMPLETELY somewhere else than where the picture was taken.

Code:
    http://stable.toolserver.org/geohack/geohack.php?language=en&params=31_56_57_N_81_17_55_W
    is still not fully correct, but a lot closer than the one irfanview passes. Is this an Irfanview thing or a geowiki ?

--------

As far as I can understand: the third part of the coordinate is not correctly passed from Irfan to the webbrowser ?

should this be in bug reports or better here ? Am I the only one using the GPS tags ?

Comment

Originally posted by novw View Post
      should this be in bug reports or better here ? Am I the only one using the GPS tags ?
      Until someone comes along who uses GPS tags it is fine here. We can easily move it if it turns out to be a bug. Have you asked on GeoWiki?
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Novw is quite correct. Show in Google Earth transfers Degrees, Minutes and Seconds so it indicates the exact location, but Show in Geohack wiki always sets the Seconds to zero so there can be a significant error in the indicated position.

Whether this is a bug or just a limitation I cannot say. I have attached an example that you can try.

There is another oddity I notice. If I open the file normally using File> Open then both the Google Earth and the Geohack wiki buttons appear in the Exif dialog. If I open by double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer then only the Google Earth button is shown.
        Attached Files

Comment

I seem unable to reproduce the latter oddity?

double click my computer, double click a picture, press I, click EXIF-info, I get both google earth and geohack-wiki.

Which leads me to ask: can I get straight into the EXIF-info requester? Without going through I, and click a button ?

Comment

Press E!

Comment

Thx ! I'll try to remember that.

Comment

Hi Novw and Skippybox

That oddity I mentioned does appear to be something to do with my files because if I resave the file in Irfanview (even at exactly the same size) then it behaves OK. The more I investigate the odder it gets but since I do not at present use the Geohack option it is really not worth bothering about.

Yes, you will find that hotkey E is useful because it allows you to leave the EXIF dialog on as you browse from one image to the next.
                Mind you, if you do you will find another small bug, in that once the Google Earth and Geohack buttons appear they remain there even when you browse to an image that does not have geodata attached. You will soon get quite tired of zooming in on a Google earth view of the Atlantic ocean just off the west coast of Africa at 0 degrees Latitude and 0 degrees Longitude.

Comment

Re: Mij's Attached image "Tower.jpg"

I find it interesting that this camera (Panasonic Model - DMC-TZ6) gives the
                  GPS coordinates to two decimal points in the seconds field, and even more so
                  that the coordinates seem to match the center of the distant subject and not
                  the location of the camera. Was the EXIF data edited to facilitate the user
                  locating the mapped subject? Does the DMC-TZ6 locate to two decimal points,
                  or was this edited for precision?
                  SkyyTek

Comment

Sorry if I confused you. It is not that clever. That camera does not even record GPS. I added the coordinates myself from Google maps using Wildbit Viewer. I set them at the center of the bridge so that it was easy to check if it was shown in the right place in Google Earth and the various Geo-hack options available from the Irfanview feature.
                    I suppose I should have explained that.

Comment

I used IrfanView and the Google Earth button for about a year, saved the placemark from Google Earth to a kml and minuplated the KML manually. Posted the results on my website travelouge, clicking on a Google Eath icon flew you to the location. Irfanview was the only "inexpensive" solution I had found to extrat gps data. (I have a gps on my digital SLR) But I wanted to go further. Eventually it got tireing to do large galleries one at a time so I have worked with the developer of ThumbNailer to improve its capability. Now I use ThumbNailer for gallery creaton and IrfanView for single shot gps extrations. So there has been another person using gps and IrfanView :-)
                      Last edited by CowboyFrank; 03.04.2010, 03:14 AM.
                      Real Webmasters know HTM-hell

Comment

the fox should be extremely easy on irfanview's side? Just parse ALL the digits in the GpsLongtitude and GpsLongtitudeRef and GpsLatitude and GpsLatitudeRef fileds in the Exif data.

I am still desperately waiting for this quick fix. Is it on any to-do list? Please? Pretty please? I hate to use google's picasa software just for the GPS-data...

You have to agree: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/album...3178979265#map is an extremely nice trick...

Comment

hi

I have question about displaying coordinates etc on slideshow/fullscreen mode.
                          My camera (panasonic tz10) besides coordinates add also extra information about country, state, city and landmark(they are visible i.e. in geosetter id-105,107,109,111) but unfortunately there is no option in Irfanview to make it(these extra information not coordinates) visible during fullscreen mode. Is it possible that you will support these tags, soon?
                          regards
                          pixi

Comment

Let me just add some things.

I too note that when I use the Geohack butten the decimal part of the minutes are omitted from the URL that is generated, so the location is off.

But even with the two decimal digits added into the URL the location remains a bit off, compared to the location shown in Google Earth. I suppose that there are actually more decimal digits that are shown in the dialogs.
                            When in Google Earth you can ask for the properties of the marker, and then you see the lat-long coordinates. If you feed these into the URL's for OpenStreeetMap of BingMaps the marker jumps to the right location.

And I use Geosetter to add the GPS tags to my JPEG's.
                            Frank Poppe
                            the Hague,
                            the Netherlands

Comment

It's a bug. Irfan reads the EXIF correctly since it displays the seconds of arc as a decimal fraction on the minutes of arc and also in the decimal degrees but then ignores them and passes 0.00 to GeoHack. Either passing the seconds as seconds or as a decimal fraction on the minutes would work perfectly. Simple to fix, surely.

Comment

Working...
                              X