Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem by burning a slideshow on CD

Hello Everybody,

the version I work with is 4.25, the windows system XP SP3.
    I tried to burn a slideshow with Nero 7. But if I want to look the results on CD and start it, just appears a "win32-application error".

What did I wrong?? Somebody to help me?

I hope the description is correct in english.

Best regards from Germany
    anoli

Some questions to help us help you:

Did you create the slideshow as a stand-alone exe file, or is it all separate files with IrfanView?

If it is a stand-alone exe, how big is it?

If the slideshow is lots of separate files, did you use the IrfanView burn with Nero plugin?

Is it possible that the CD is defective, or the file(s) corrupted on it? That can happen too. Do you burn CDs often? Has this ever happened before?
    Its: Belongs to "It"
    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
    ---------------------
    Lose: Fail to keep
    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Hello Matera,

thanks a lot for having a first and quick answer !

I created the slideshow as a stand-alone exe file which is not big at all -3,5MB - because I just wanted to make a test. It's the first time I try to do this. IrfanView has the Nero plugin.

And yes I burn CDs very regularly and it never happened before!

Thanks again for helping me!
      anoli

Comment

One more small one to clarify -- did you burn directly with Nero? (That is how it should be done with the exe, not using the IrfanView plugin)
        ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Yes, matera,

I did directly burn with Nero.
          anoli

Comment

Hmm. Then either the CD is defective, or something went wrong with the burn. I assume you tested the slideshow, so I would blame something in the burn process or the CD. If you didn't close the session, you could try another burn to the same disk.

I used to have a lot of trouble burning CDs because my computer had a weak power supply. Many times when I burned backups of a lot of files, part of the CD would have good files while the rest had only the appearance of files -- there was no real data there. A file will show on a CD when it is not really there because Windows reads a list of files first. Then if you click on one that exists only in the list, you get the "not a valid" etc. message.

It is odd that it would happen with only one file, but all it takes is some little thing to interrupt the flow of data. That is why I won't even play Solitaire while burning a CD! I go wash dishes or get something to eat Even then, it could happen -- a fluctuation in household electrical current that might not even dim a light bulb could do it. Or the antivirus finishing a big update download just then. So I think that you might be the victim of a tiny act of God.
            ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Anoli, your replies do not clearly establish for me whether the problem lies in the building of the slideshow in IrfanView, burning to CD or playing from CD.

Did you try copying the slideshow exe file back to hard disk to see if it would play from there? Did you try building the same slideshow as an exe on local hard disk, check that it works and then burn to CD from there? Is there anything else on your CD and if so, does that seem OK?

We should not assume that the problem is in the burning to CD unless all other possibilities have been eliminated.

Comment

Hello Matera, Hello Mij,

thanks again for your help. I couldn't answer earlier because I was away for some days in France.

@Matera
                I think I found out at last what was the problem, not the CD but the CD burner is defective!!! I didn't believe it first because the device is rather new. I just tried another device and everything was right.

@Mij
                I had no problem in building the show and I could easily play it from the harddisk. The used CD was new but I cannot use it again because it got defective after the burn process.

Best regards,
                anoli

Comment

Ah! Drat, that can happen too. Hardware problems can be hard. When I got my new (refurbished) computer, it had one stick of RAM that put me through weeks of h311 with random symptoms. At least a defective CD-RW drive only affects CDs.
                  ---------------------

---------------------

Comment

Yes, as you say it, Matera,

Drat!!! Because I just wonder, why sometimes it takes so long to find out the source of problems ...

Wish you to begin the week nicely!

Comment

Working...
                    X